New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM Disconnected Displays Not Reconnecting , Problems switching from 2 Monitor to 4 Monitor Profiles » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 41804

Keith Jenkinson

Posted: 11/24/2019 20:06:01

I'm Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with 4 displays driven by a GE Force GTX 760. AWM 8.13.3.
Two of my displays are shared with my work laptop. When the laptop is connected, I switch to a 2 display AWM profile on my home PC which sets these 2 displays to "Disconnected".
When I try to switch back to 4 monitors, it doesn't work. Even if I reboot. I have to use Windows Display settings to reconnect the monitors before AWM will see them again. However, sometimes (very occasionally) one of the 2 monitors does reconnect. But I never see all 4 monitors without using Windows Display Settings to reconnect them. Am I doing something that's unsupported? It's the main reason I bought AWM.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/25/2019 12:45:20

Hello, Keith

Thank you for contacting us.

How do you switch the input of these monitors from PC to laptop?

Are the two disconnected monitors displayed in the 4 monitor profile in AWM configuration module before you try to enable this profile?

Are the two disconnected monitors displayed in the "Monitors layout and settings" section of AWM configuration module before you try to enable the 4 monitor profile (Multiple Monitors > Monitors layout and settings)? Could you reopen the configuration module right before you're going to activate the profile and see?

Could you switch to the 2 monitor profile and then switch to the 4 monitor profile without connecting the laptop and switching the monitors input. Does it work in this case?

Could you enable all 4 monitors, reopen the AWM configuration module and send us your configuration files using the "Send to Tech Support" tool (Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." address to bogdan@actualtools.com and add a link to this topic in the email.

Also specify in this topic what two of the four monitors you disconnect.

Best regards.

Keith Jenkinson

Posted: 11/25/2019 16:45:38

Hi Bogdan
Thanks for the reply.
The monitors have multiple inputs and are set up to switch automatically when input is detected. I can also switch them manually, but it makes no difference.
The AWM "Monitors layout and settings" section is completely confused when I switch from 2 monitors to 4. It shows only 2 monitors, but it shows the 2 that aren't working! The tiles for 2 that are working can't be seen in AWM tha AWM config!
I'll send you the configs.
Thanks
Keith

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/26/2019 18:52:50

Keith,

Could you send us AWM configuration files using the "Send to Tech Support" tool for the following three situations:

1) Make sure that all four monitors are enabled in the display settings. Close the configuration module and open it again. Send the configuration.

2) Then disable the two shared monitors and connect them to the laptop like you usually do. Close the configuration module and open it again. Send the configuration.

3) Reboot the system as you've described in the attached file in your email, so that the described problem repeats. Open the configuration module and send the configuration again.

Could you also make screenshots of each desktop profile in configuration module with "Monitors Layout and Settings tab open", when they're adjusted and displayed correctly and also send them to us.

Also try to disable the "Load at startup" option in AWM configuration module (Options > General > Load at startup) and the "Start automatically" option for the 4 Screens profile. Reboot the PC after using 2 monitors with laptop and open the configuration module about ten minutes after the start of the system. See how the 4 screens profile is displayed in this case and try to activate it manually. See whether the same problem happens.

Best regards.

Geoff Smith

Posted: 11/30/2019 16:53:43

Hi Bogdan,
I am experiencing problems with AMM 8.14.2 that are similar to those described above by Keith.
More details can be provided if required.
Regards,
Geoff

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2019 16:26:46

Keith,

Thank you for the decent and detailed description of the problems and of the testing.

Please note that the current monitors layout, how AWM sees the monitors - is displayed not in Desktop Profiles section, but here: AWM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Monitors Layout and Settings section. It should match what is shown in the Windows Display Settings and how the monitors are really working at the moment.

Desktop Profiles are just pre-set monitors configurations which you can apply, and in your case they are being corrupted for some reason.

Are you running any nVidia graphics card and display management software? What is the name and the version of this software and what version of graphics card driver you're running?

Could you do the following:
- disable the "Start automatically" option for the 4 Screens profile;
- switch to any other desktop profile (2 screens or 1 screen);
- reboot the PC;
- try to activate the 4 Screens profile manually via the AWM tray icon conext menu > Desktop Profiles;
- see whether it works and also after this go to AWM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Monitors Layout and Settings section (NOT to the tab with the same name in the Desktop Profiles section). Let us know the results and tell what is displayed in the Monitors Layout and Settings section.

At what moment you've created the 4 Screens profile which was in the first configuration from the latest set of .zip files you've sent to us? Do you recall the events prior to creation of this profile? Was all monitors recognized by the system and enabled at the moment?

About the background problem: do the settings change in the configuration module only or the background is displayed incorrectly on the desktop? Could you also try to close the configuration module before the switching of the profiles and use the AWM tray icon context menu items or Desktop context menu items or hotkeys to switch the profiles? Does the problem happen in this case?

Do you have any special background settings in the desktop profiles or they're default "Current Windows background" for all the profiles?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2019 16:32:50

Hello, Geoff

Could you please describe the problems more detailed.

What graphics card do you use?

Are you running any graphics card and display management software? What is the name and the version of this software and what version of graphics card driver you're running?

Best regards.

Geoff Smith

Posted: 12/03/2019 18:26:34

Hi Bogdan,
Yes, no problem.

Windows 10 64-bit build 18363.476

I am using 6 displays that are permanently connected to 2 discrete GPUs.
Primary GPU: NVIDIA GTX1050ti (4 displays)
Secondary GPU: NVIDIA GT1030 (2 displays)

Driver version: 441.41
NVIDIA Control Panel vesion: 8.1.940.0

I have 7 'Desktop Profiles' configured, depending on how I am working with the computer.

Problems:
1) If I turn off the PC without first enabling the 6-monitor profile, then when I turn the PC on again, not all of the monitors are enabled - I have to enabled them either using NVIDIA Control Panel or AMM->Configure->Desktop Profiles->Activate Profile

2) Often the context menu Desktop Profiles does not actually cause the profile to switch, instead I must use AMM->Configure->Desktop Profiles->Activate Profile

3) Sometimes not all of the monitors appear in 'Monitor Layout & Settings'

4) Monitors disappear from the saved 'Desktop Profiles' and I am unable to select them to configure as expected (possibly corrupted profile similar to Keith?)

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks, Geoff

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/10/2019 01:21:46

Hi everyone

We were able to confirm the problem where some monitors are not displayed in desktop profiles after disabling the monitors in the display settings and restarting the system. We'll try to fix this, and problably it will fix the associated problems.

Keith,

Could you create the same profile as "4 Screens" but so that all monitors have landscape orientation. See whether you're able to succesfully activate this profile after disabling two monitors and restarting the system.

Geoff,

1) If I turn off the PC without first enabling the 6-monitor profile, then when I turn the PC on again, not all of the monitors are enabled - I have to enabled them either using NVIDIA Control Panel or AMM->Configure->Desktop Profiles->Activate Profile
Do you mean, you have some of the desktop profiles set to "Start automatically" and it is not activated? Normally, the monitors shouldn't be enabled after restart of the system if you've disabled them in display settings or by activating a desktop profile previously.

2) Often the context menu Desktop Profiles does not actually cause the profile to switch, instead I must use AMM->Configure->Desktop Profiles->Activate Profile
Do you always activate a profile from the configuration module only after you've tried to do this via the dekstop context menu? Could you try to use only configuration module to switch profiles for some time without trying to use the desktop context menu and see whether it works always?

3) Sometimes not all of the monitors appear in 'Monitor Layout & Settings'
Are you talking about AMM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > "Monitor Layout & Settings" section? Are these monitors enabled when this happens? Are they always the same monitors that don't appear in the settings? Are they displayed in the Windows display settings when this happens?

4) Monitors disappear from the saved 'Desktop Profiles' and I am unable to select them to configure as expected (possibly corrupted profile similar to Keith?)
Is there any stable pattern for what monitors disappear and after what events? Are you able to correctly apply the profiles with absent monitors despite not all monitors are displayed?

Best regards.

Geoff Smith

Posted: 12/10/2019 03:27:43

Hi Bogdan,

Do you mean, you have some of the desktop profiles set to "Start automatically" and it is not activated? Normally, the monitors shouldn't be enabled after restart of the system if you've disabled them in display settings or by activating a desktop profile previously.
I did have a profile that enabled all monitors set to start automatically with windows, however this did not work, i.e. it would show as enabled, but the monitors would not all come on. The context menu for desktop profiles had no effect either.

Do you always activate a profile from the configuration module only after you've tried to do this via the dekstop context menu? Could you try to use only configuration module to switch profiles for some time without trying to use the desktop context menu and see whether it works always?
Recently, yes, only using the configuration module, as this seems to work, whereas the context menu does not.

Are you talking about AMM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > "Monitor Layout & Settings" section? Are these monitors enabled when this happens? Are they always the same monitors that don't appear in the settings? Are they displayed in the Windows display settings when this happens?
Yes the configuration module - 'Multiple Monitors->Monitor Layout & Settings'
The monitors are enabled and visible in the windows display setting, but not visible in AMM. It is not always the same monitors that disappear.

Is there any stable pattern for what monitors disappear and after what events? Are you able to correctly apply the profiles with absent monitors despite not all monitors are displayed?
If I switch off PC without enabling all monitors, then from that point forward the 'Desktop Profiles' the monitors disappear from the 'Desktop Profile' GUI.
The only solution is to delete the profiles and start again.
I made an image to show what I mean here.

Messages 1 - 10 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register