Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Problems with Tabbed Explorer » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 17581

Max

Posted: 11/02/2019 17:45:15

Hi,

I'm testing Actual Tools Window Manager 8.14.2 on Windows 10 1903 as I'm looking for a tabbed explorer.
I like the implementation very much, because the original explorer windows are reused, which brings all additions from installed explorer addins.

But I have some problems with tabbed explorer:
1st) If the explorer window is partly in background behind another window and I click on some "white space" in the window, the explorer window will get the focus, but stay in background.
This wonn't happen, if I click on the title bar. Then the window will come to foreground as expected.

2nd) I use "Windows Virtual Desktops". If I have a tabbed explorer window open on "Desktop 1" and work on "Desktop 2" and open an explorer, the explorer window won't show up, but a switch to "Desktop 1", directly followed by a switch to "Desktop 2" will happen. If I want to switch back to "Desktop 1" in this situation, I will be switched back to "Desktop 2" automatically. This locks me to "Desktop 2", until I close the "invisible" explorer windows.

In this case, I'd like it best to open another Tabbed explorer on "Desktop 2" instead of witching back to "Desktop 2".

So at the moment, this tool is not usable for me. Could you have a look at this?

Kind regards
Max

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2019 17:00:49

Hello, Max

Thank you for contacting us.

1st) If the explorer window is partly in background behind another window and I click on some "white space" in the window, the explorer window will get the focus, but stay in background.
This is a known problem. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Does it happen every time you try to bring the window to foreground or sometimes window moves to foreground even if you click the client area and not title bar?

2nd) I use "Windows Virtual Desktops". If I have a tabbed explorer window open on "Desktop 1" and work on "Desktop 2" and open an explorer, the explorer window won't show up, but a switch to "Desktop 1", directly followed by a switch to "Desktop 2" will happen.
This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix this problem and also consider implementing of behavior where new tabbed container appears on the virtual desktop instead of opening a new tab in the existing one on other desktop. We'll post in this topic if the problem is fixed and the feature is improved.

Have you considered using AWM virtual desktops? For now a new tabbed container won't appear automatically in AWM virtual desktop either, but if you detach a tab from an existing tabbed container so that you have two containers and move one of them to other virtual desktop, new explorer tabs will open in the container on that desktop. And at least you won't stuck in one desktop as it happens with Windows virtual desktops now.

Best regards.

Max

Posted: 11/14/2019 02:54:24

Hi Bogdan,

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Does it happen every time you try to bring the window to foreground or sometimes window moves to foreground even if you click the client area and not title bar?
After testing this a few times, I managed (somehow, but don't know how), that the window behaved as expected. But most of the time, the window will stay in background, if I click on the client area.
I can't reproduce the behavior.
But even if it works, after switching between the explorer and another window a few times, it stops working for no obvious reason.

This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix this problem and also consider implementing of behavior where new tabbed container appears on the virtual desktop instead of opening a new tab in the existing one on other desktop. We'll post in this topic if the problem is fixed and the feature is improved.
Thank you for looking into this.

Have you considered using AWM virtual desktops? For now a new tabbed container won't appear automatically in AWM virtual desktop either, but if you detach a tab from an existing tabbed container so that you have two containers and move one of them to other virtual desktop, new explorer tabs will open in the container on that desktop. And at least you won't stuck in one desktop as it happens with Windows virtual desktops now.
Actually I didn't. I was quite happy with the native Windows Virtual Desktops, so I disabled the Virtual Desktop feature of AWM. But I'll give it a try :)

Max

Posted: 12/01/2019 17:29:53

Hi, I tried the Virtual Desktop feature of AWM, but I prefer the Windows built-in functionality. So, I'd prefer a solution, allowing me to stay with the Windows Virtual Desktops.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/02/2019 18:45:35

Max,

So, I'd prefer a solution, allowing me to stay with the Windows Virtual Desktops.
We have your request of the compatibility between Windows virtual desktops and the Tabbed Explorer feature in our database. We'll post here if it's implemented.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/13/2021 06:03:02

Hello, Max

You wrote:
If the explorer window is partly in background behind another window and I click on some "white space" in the window, the explorer window will get the focus, but stay in background.

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.5 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

Max

Posted: 02/13/2021 15:42:49

Hello Bogdan,

that's really good news :) I'll give it a try.

Thank you

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/26/2022 11:52:15

Hello, Max

You wrote:
I use "Windows Virtual Desktops". If I have a tabbed explorer window open on "Desktop 1" and work on "Desktop 2" and open an explorer, the explorer window won't show up, but a switch to "Desktop 1", directly followed by a switch to "Desktop 2" will happen. If I want to switch back to "Desktop 1" in this situation, I will be switched back to "Desktop 2" automatically. This locks me to "Desktop 2", until I close the "invisible" explorer windows.

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.7.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register