Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM: Windows 10 Settings windows have strange overlay/transparency behaviour , They have a color overlay / tint if Actual Window Manager is running » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9706

Jim

Posted: 05/23/2019 22:28:55

This is something I've noticed for a while.  I have Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, version 10.0.17134.765.  
I'm running Actual Window Manager version 8.14 (latest).

If I open the Settings application (not control panel, but the new style Settings window), or any of the windows underneath it (for instance, "Printers & Scanners", or "Personalization" etc), and Actual Window Manager is running, the entire window gets a strange color overlay, like a solid color window is partially transparent in front of it?  

My Windows system color is set to Red, and I'm using the Dark app mode, so the color overlay on my system is red as seen below.  However if I change my system color to blue, the color overlay is blue instead etc.  So the color of this tint/overlay is dependent on system color.

Stranger still, I tried creating an Exclusion window rule, for the Settings window, and this exclusion is not working, the problem still happens.

However if I close the window, and then Pause Actual Window Manager, the problem doesn't happen.  So it's definitely related to AWM being running.

This is what the Settings windows look like if AWM is running when it's opened:

Jim

Posted: 05/23/2019 22:29:30

And this is what it looks like, if I pause AWM before I open the window:

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/24/2019 05:48:52

Hello, Jim

the entire window gets a strange color overlay, like a solid color window is partially transparent in front of it
Do you recall when you first noticed the problem? What version of Actual Window Manager you used at that time?

Does the problem persist in the metro applications like Edge, Photos etc.?

Are you able to use the windows despite this overlay?

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." email address to bogdan@actualtools.com in the email and add a link to this topic.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 05/24/2019 20:51:22

Do you recall when you first noticed the problem? What version of Actual Window Manager you used at that time?

I think 8.12?  About a year ago?  I'm sorry I don't know for sure. I first noticed this on my work computer at my last job.  I thought it was just a problem with that specific workstation so I didn't report it.  

Now I've changed jobs and I'm at a new company with a very different computer and all new apps, and it still happens.

Does the problem persist in the metro applications like Edge, Photos etc.?

It does not happen in Edge, or Photos, or the Microsoft store.  I don't recall it happening in anything other than Windows Settings, and all Settings sub menus (ie Date and Time settings as an example).  

It also does not happen in Classic Control Panel, and it's applets.  Only seems to affect the modern Metro Settings style pages.  

Are you able to use the windows despite this overlay?

Yes, they otherwise work and behave normally, and I'm able to interact with them as expected.  This is the other reason I didn't report this sooner, as it doesn't prevent me from using them (just makes them harder to read) - and if I pause AWM, and relaunch the window in question, the problem goes away.  So it's not a showstopper bug.  

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." email address to bogdan@actualtools.com in the email and add a link to this topic.

Done.  Note I have no email / MAPI client registered/configured on this system, so I had to send the config files manually.  And, I forgot to actually attach them on my first try.  So you'll have two emails from me, you can ignore the first one.  The confg files are in the email with a subject titled: "Re: AWM config files for Win 10 Settings Overlay issue".

Thank you!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/25/2019 06:44:15

Jim,

the entire window gets a strange color overlay, like a solid color window is partially transparent in front of it
The problem has been confirmed. It is triggered by the transparency settings in Default Settings: when they're applied to one of the windows that are parts of the system Settings window this causes the problem.

For now as workaround you need to create an exclusion with the following parameters:
Class: Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow
Program: c:\Windows\immersivecontrolpanel\systemsettings.exe

This should stop the problem.

We'll try to fix the problem and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 05/26/2019 06:14:58

For now as workaround you need to create an exclusion with the following parameters:
Class: Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow
Program: c:\Windows\immersivecontrolpanel\systemsettings.exe

Hello Bogdan, thank you for the workaround, I can confirm that the exclusion functioned as expected.  I'll look forward to your future reply with a code solution etc.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register