New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AVD Screen Refresh Speed , Switching AVD windows are slow to redraw » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 67134

Gary Rosner

Posted: 02/14/2019 00:07:45

Immediately after switching to an AVD virtual desktop, the 4 opened thinkorswim windows on the 4K screen take almost 2 seconds to redraw and display. Each window in the AVD appears as white, then fills in with the content.

I see very little GPU load (using GPU-Z its 25%-32%). Once the AVD window is active, minimizing and maximizing windows is instantaneous. task manager shows CPU load is low (1% spike) during the redraw.

AVD Log file shows New Window Event (as detected by my tidytabs program). If i disable the tidytabs, then nothing appears in the log window.

Is this normal AVD behavior? If not, what else could be causing the lagging screen update speed?  Are there any ways to accelerate this screen refresh?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/14/2019 11:39:01

Hello, Gary

Are you running Windows 10? Could you name the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

What versions of AVD and Thinkorswim you're running?

What monitors do you use in the system?

Do you mean the Thinkorswim windows are placed on the monitor which is not involved in virtual desktop switching? Or they're placed on the virtual desktop you're switching to?

If i disable the tidytabs, then nothing appears in the log window.
Do you mean there is no events in the log window associated with Thinkorswim when you open new Thinkorswim windows?

Best regards.

Gary Rosner

Posted: 02/15/2019 00:21:45

Config is:
Windows 10 Pro, fully updated as of 2/14/2019 to Build 10.0.17763.
AVD: 8.13.3
ThinkorSwim version 1942.2.0 (2/9/19 release).
I have 3 P2715Q Dell 3840x2160 4K monitors, and use all three.

ThinkorSwim windows are placed on the Virtual Desktops I am switching to.

When logging is enabled, and I view the log window, there are no events displayed when I switch to a AVD virtual desktop. I hope this helps.

Based on your questions, I did further testing:
1. With just Word or excel open, refresh is instant.
2. With ThinkOrSwim windows, the more information that is displayed, the more things slow down. Basically, I opened ThinkOrSwim charts and several watchlists (all in the same AVD virtual desktop).
3. After closing down most of my ThinkorSwim windows, the refresh speed returns to normal.

What seems unusual to me is that my other AVD Virtual Desktop, that has just MS Word, also slows down it's screen refresh while ThinkorSwim is loaded. Perhaps some kind of resource is being consumed by TOS that would slow down everything else in AVD?

Your insight is appreciated.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/15/2019 18:42:45

Gary,

When logging is enabled, and I view the log window, there are no events displayed when I switch to a AVD virtual desktop.
In the log there are only the events where settings are applied to windows or other events like caption change and other, and there should be no events when you switch between virtual desktops and windows of the virtual desktop are displayed.

Could you temporarily disable Actual Virtual Desktops and try to use the Windows 10 virtual desktops. Open several Thinkorswim windows and see whether the same problem persists with Windows virtual desktops only.
If it doesn't then could you start Actual Virtual Desktops, but don't switch its virtual desktops but try to use Windows 10 virtual desktops instead again. See whether the problem persists upon switching Windows virtual desktops.

Could you provide your computer specifications – CPU and graphics card model names?

Does the problem depend on whether you use classic or independent virtual desktops (AVD configuration module > Virtual Desktops > Options > Mode)?

Best regards.

Gary Rosner

Posted: 02/16/2019 22:18:11

Could you temporarily disable Actual Virtual Desktops and try to use the Windows 10 virtual desktops. Open several Thinkorswim windows and see whether the same problem persists with Windows virtual desktops only.
There are no issues in Windows 10 virtual desktops. Screen appears instantly as expected.

If it doesn't then could you start Actual Virtual Desktops, but don't switch its virtual desktops but try to use Windows 10 virtual desktops instead again. See whether the problem persists upon switching Windows virtual desktops.
No delays when switching between windows 10 virtual desktops

Could you provide your computer specifications – CPU and graphics card model names?
Computer specs:
Asus STRIX Z390-E  
Processor:
3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i9-9900K
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
16384 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (8 total)
Hyper-threaded (16 total)

Memory: 65458 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

video
AMD Radeon ™ R9 390 Series [Display adapter] 8GB Memory
qty 3 - DELL P2715Q [4K Monitors - DisplayPort connected, Fast response time setting]

Additional Information:
I notice a momentary spike in one of my CPU cores as the AVD cause the ThinkorSwim application to redraw. Also, the Task Manager view of the GPU performance shows "Copy" while redraw is occurring.

From my observation, it appears that AVD is calling for the windows to redraw.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/19/2019 22:54:55

Gary,

Could you temporarily not start Actual Virtual Desktops, install the latest version 8.13.3 of our all-in-one product Actual Window Manager, create virtual desktops in it and see whether the problem persists in this program. If yes, then install the beta version of Actual Window Manager and see whether the problem pesists in this version (there were some changes in the way the program hides and shows windows when switching between virtual desktops). Let us know the results.

Best regards.

Gary Rosner

Posted: 02/22/2019 04:19:31

Bogdan:
I disabled Actual Virtual Desktops.
I installed latest version 8.13.3 of Actual Window Manager.
I see the same delay in screen refresh.

Here is a y u t u b e recording of what happens when switching away and then beck to the virtual desktop.

Thank you in advance for looking into this issue.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/23/2019 19:05:07

Hello, Gary

I was unable to reproduce the problem.

Is it a watchlist on the video? I was unable to open any watchlist so that it looks like this.

Could you provide a step-by-step instructions of the minimum actions in Thinkorswim required for reproducing the problem? We have demo version of the program and maybe the most basic charts or watchlists are enough to reproduce the problem?

Also, have you tried to install beta version and see whether the problem persists?

Best regards.

Gary Rosner

Posted: 02/24/2019 23:38:31

Yes, it was a long watchlist (something like the sp500 - built into Thinkorswim).
Step by step setup:
1. Start Actual Virtual Desktop and show the window switcher with at least 2 virtual desktops on monitor 2.
2. Start Thinkorswim
3. Detach gadget - e.g. watchlist (right upper corner, sel ect detatch gadget)
4. Load the detached watchlist with the public S&P 500.
5. Move detached watchlist to AVD window (in my case on 2nd monitor).

The problem is becomes much more apparent when multiple watchlists are open in the same AVD window and the refresh slows down even more during the normal trading monday-friday workday. To see the effect I am reporting:

1. In the AVD Window containing the sp500 watchlist:
a. Detach the watchlist 5 more times.
b. fill the AVD screen by sizing and arranging each watchlist (3 in top and 3 in bottom half of screen)
c. To see the delayed refresh (I see it on my computer), click to another AVD then back to the AVD with the watchlist.  
Here is my a video of screen refreshvideo illustrating what I see.

Hope this allows you to see the same issue as i do.

In my opinion, each AVD watchlist window is receiving a command to refresh itself from scratch, which requires time and resources from TOS. Somehow, Windows 10 Virtual Desktops is able to instantly show the windows without the need to refresh them fr om scratch.

Minimizing and restoring the windows in AVD, with Win + M and Shift + Win + M, does NOT show any delay.  

Thanks again for looking into this

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/26/2019 01:35:38

Gary,

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions, we'll try to reproduce the problem again tomorrow.

Have you tried to install beta version 8.14 beta 2 of Actual Window Manager and see whether the same problem persists in this version?

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register