Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Scaling Issues in 8.13.3 with Multi-Monitors , AWM / Win10 Windows Scaling Issues » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 13403

Hugh Wills

Posted: 01/18/2019 18:50:18

Hi,

Having used product for a couple of years on my Dell laptop with Windows 7 and 2x external monitors, I moved to a new HP laptop with Windows 10:

My old setup was:

• Dell Precision M6400 Mobile Workstation
• Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
• NVidea Quadro FX3100 graphics card
• Dell DisplayLink D3100 Dock via ExpressCard USB3 adapter
• 2x Dell U2412M Monitors

My new setup is:

• HP ZBook x2 G4 Workstation
• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
• NVidea Quadro M620 graphics card
• HP ZBook 150W Dock via integrated Thunderbolt 3 Port
• 2x Dell U2412M Monitors

I upgraded and installed 8.12 last year but Windows kept becoming unresponsive, I had problems defining their positions, putting into desktop containers etc. As this was at a very busy time I had no option but to uninstall. I reported this during the uninstall process and had a brief exchange with support, but never heard any more.

Yesterday I decided to give this another try as I could really do with the features of AWM, so I purchased the latest upgrade to 8.13.3 but, although more stable, there are serious scaling issues on the different monitors.

My monitor setup in Windows 10 is:

Laptop:         3840 x 2160   Scale 200%
Ext Monitor 1   1920 x 1200   Scale 100%
Ext Monitor 2   1920 x 1200   Scale 100%

* When I open AWM config window on the laptop monitor the icons are tiny but the font is huge!

* When I open Windows Explorer config window on the laptop monitor the text is tiny and the Menu text is normal size but partly obscured, and the text in the folder tree is tiny!

* When I open Windows Explorer on an external monitor:
 ** the Menu text and search box text is huge and partly obscured
 ** the AWM buttons in the top right are huge and overlap the title bar
 ** the items in the folder tree are correct size but spaced miles apart
 ** the icons and text in the main widow are huge!

It seems like AWM still isn't able to cope with the mix of Win10 monitors and scaling, although this is exactly what it's needed for? At present I'm regretting paying 2 lots of upgrade costs in the last 12 months and still not being able to use the software.

Any suggestions welcome!

Hugh

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/22/2019 17:17:53

Hello, Hugh

I reported this during the uninstall process and had a brief exchange with support, but never heard any more.
The last time you sent us an email, you were going to possibly give the product another try and provide more detailed information about the problems. We've decided to wait for your next email and not to reply the last one.

There are some known scaling problems our products have in Windows 10.

Could you name the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Hugh Wills

Posted: 01/30/2019 18:01:49

Hi Bogdan,

Sorry, it has been quite a few months since I have been able to look at this again and I see it was left for me to respond next. Hopefully the above information with the new version is helpful.

My Windows build is: V1803 Build 17134.523

I have left the software installed this time so I can work with you to try to improve this, but I have to close it after boot to be able to continue working. Attached is another partial screen cap from my Ext Mon 1 this morning immediately after boot, before closing AWM, which illustrates the problem well.

Regards,

Hugh

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/03/2019 07:25:59

Hugh,

Unfortunately, increased elements size support hasn't been implemented for Tabbed Explorer yet. And it's especially noticeable on the monitors with 200% and greater scaling.

We'll try to implement the scaling support for Tabbed Explorer, and will post in this topic when it's implemented.

For now the only way to avoid these scaling problems is not to use the Tabbed Explorer feature in the systems with increased scaling values, if it's acceptable for you. The feature can be disabled here: AWM configuration module > Files and Folders > Tabbed Explorer > "Group Explorer windows..." option.

When I open AWM config window on the laptop monitor the icons are tiny but the font is huge!
The font problems in configuration window most likely will be fixed in the next version of the program.

I have left the software installed this time so I can work with you to try to improve this, but I have to close it after boot to be able to continue working.
You need to disable the "Load at startup" option: AWM configuration module > Options > General > Load at startup.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/19/2019 13:57:03

Hello, Hugh

You wrote:
When I open AWM config window on the laptop monitor the icons are tiny but the font is huge!

I'm glad to notify you that the part of the scaling problem related to the configuration module has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest beta versions of Actual Window Manager and Actual Multiple Monitors 8.14 beta 2.

You can install the beta version and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

Larry Hess

Posted: 11/07/2019 03:15:17

I have AWM 8.14 and scalling settings are not retained in profiles.

Larry Hess CPA
Albuquerque, NM USA

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2019 19:27:55

Larry,

The feature in its current state doesn't provide the ability to retain scaling settings. We'll consider this as a feature request and will post in your other topic when such ability is implemented.

Also, as I can see, you've requested this ability before in this topic.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register