New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 23
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[CONFIRMED] Excel Ribbon Disappearing , All Excel workbooks lose their ribbon when switching desktops » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 87767

Jon Albright

Posted: 01/04/2019 06:46:32

Just purchased and installed today.  Set up virtual desktops and transparency settings.  I have Excel set to "live" on desktop 2 but when switching away from Excel to another desktop and then returning, the Excel ribbon disappears with no way to restore it.  This leaves me with the only options available...  Cntrl + S to save my work and the X in the upper right to close the program.  Is there a setting that needs to be set in order to prevent this?  OS is Windows 10 pro x64 on a network with the latest updates installed and office 365 pro plus.

Update:  I changed numerous settings for Excel and discovered that it doesn't appear it is the transparency settings affecting the Excel ribbon disappearing but it is the Virtual Desktops.  As long as I do not switch to a different desktop (I have 7 of them), all is good.  If I switch to a different desktop and then return to Excel, any Excel workbook loses its ribbon and it doesn't matter if you have 1 workbook open or multiple workbooks, they all lose their ribbon.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/09/2019 09:42:54

Hello, Jon

You're running Actual Window Manager version 8.13.3, right?

What is the exact version of Excel that you're running (File > Account > About Excel)?

Could you name the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Could you send us a screenshot depicting the problem - an Excel window after the ribbon has disappeared.

Does the same problem happen with other MS Office applications?

Best regards.

Jon Albright

Posted: 01/10/2019 04:19:04

Good morning,

Version of AWM is 8.13.3
Version of Excel (Office 365) 1812 Build 11126.20188
Version of Windows 10 1803 mBuild 17134.472

When the ribbon in Excel is gone, unless you know keyboard commands there is nothing else to do except X out of Excel.  I discovered that when switching back to the desktop where Excel resides and seeing no ribbon, hitting the <ctrl P> to bring up the print screen and then escape out to go back to the workbook, the ribbon is restored.  It is a pain in the backside to have to keep doing this due to switching between desktops where I keep the different programs I use day to day.

Excel seems to be the only program in the Office suite that has this issue.  I use Outlook, Word and Access regularly and neither of these have this problem.  I typically do not use Publisher or Powerpoint but I launched and tested them with no ribbon problems.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/11/2019 02:09:47

Jon,

It looks like the full screen mode is enabled in Excel when you switch to other virtual desktop.

Do you switch using the hotkeys? What is the key combination of the hotkey?

Have you tried to switch using the Virtual Desktop switcher of AWM (you can toggle it with the Alt+` hotkey or via the Show/Hide Switcher item of the AWM tray icon context menu)? Does the problem persist in this case?

Best regards.

Jon Albright

Posted: 01/11/2019 02:49:31

It looks like the full screen mode is enabled in Excel when you switch to other virtual desktop.
Pretty much so.  The Excel workbooks I use are somewhat large and occupy a lot of real estate.

Do you switch using the hotkeys? What is the key combination of the hotkey?
Key combination I use is <alt> <numpad key> but have tried other key combinations

Have you tried to switch using the Virtual Desktop switcher of AWM (you can toggle it with the Alt+` hotkey or via the Show/Hide Switcher item of the AWM tray icon context menu)? Does the problem persist in this case?
Yes, have tried both ways and both times whacks out.  Whereas it seems most of the Office suite behaves nicely with other vendors apps, Excel seems to be the one that doesn't get along very well with others.  Almost acts like it is a bastard child.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/11/2019 12:10:41

Jon,

I meant the full screen mode enables when you switch to other virtual desktop and then back. The full screen mode which you can enable via the "Toggle Full Screen View" button, if you add it to the Excel Quick Acess toolbar.

You should be able to return to usual state of Excel window by a double left mouse click to the Excel title bar or by pressing the Esc key. Does this make ribbon appear again?

I was unable to reproduce the problem.

What is the state of the Excel window at the moment when you switch to other desktop - is the window maximized or in other full screen state (which can be enabled by Ctrl+Shift+F1 combination)?

Does the problem happen if the Excel window is in the normal state (not maximized) when you switch to other desktop?

Best regards.

Jon Albright

Posted: 01/17/2019 22:22:53

Bogdan,
What is the state of the Excel window at the moment when you switch to other desktop - is the window maximized or in other full screen state (which can be enabled by Ctrl+Shift+F1 combination)?

Does the problem happen if the Excel window is in the normal state (not maximized) when you switch to other desktop?

It doesn't matter if the window is full screen or windowed, if it is showing on a desktop and the desktop is switched and then returned to the Excel desktop, the ribbon is gone.  I experimented with it for the past several days and what I found is if I minimize the Excel workbook and then switch desktops, when I return to Excel and then show my Excel workbook, the ribbon remains.  Not sure if it matters what video card is present but in case it does, I have a MSIK Radeon RX580 video card.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/22/2019 16:16:35

Jon,

Could you try to do this and let us know the results:
You should be able to return to usual state of Excel window by a double left mouse click to the Excel title bar or by pressing the Esc key. Does this make ribbon appear again?

Could you also minimize the Excel window to system tray via the Actual Window Manager feature – if you haven't changed or disabled the mouse actions in AWM it should be single right mouse button click to the Excel title bar with Ctrl pressed. Then restore the window by clicking its tray icon. See whether the problem happens in this case.

Could you also send us your AWM configuration files via the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." email address to uninstall@actualtools.com and add a link to this topic to the email.

Best regards.

Jon Albright

Posted: 01/23/2019 23:22:40

Could you also minimize the Excel window to system tray via the Actual Window Manager feature – if you haven't changed or disabled the mouse actions in AWM it should be single right mouse button click to the Excel title bar with Ctrl pressed. Then restore the window by clicking its tray icon. See whether the problem happens in this case.

I checked my global settings as well as the specific settings and have not disabled the AWM mouse actions, at least what I could tell anyway.  I did minimize the workbook with the ctrl + right mouse and then restored it.  It worked fine after switching desktops back and forth but if I do not minimize using the AWM procedure from above, it's back to the ribbon disappearing.  I did upload the configuration file a short while ago.

Reinhard Franz

Posted: 01/26/2019 15:40:46

Hello,
I am currently in the testing phase of AWM and I have the same problem.
I have now tried two other "virtual desktop" programs and come to the following result.

VirtuaWin (https://virtuawin.sourceforge.io/): Once again, the ribbon bar of Excel disappears after switching the desktop.

Dexpot (https://dexpot.de/?lang=en):
Switching between the virtual desktops works without any problems here.

Maybe that helps to find a solution for the Virtual Desktop in AWM. I would be very happy, because I would like to have this functionality in a program (ie AWM).

Messages 1 - 10 of 23
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 3, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register