Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «'Always on top' won't toggle » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9480

Michael

Posted: 03/27/2008 19:10:41

Hi,

Just registered my Actual Title Buttons because I find the always on top and minimize to tray features very useful.

I was trying out Actual Window Manager, but once the trial expired I uninstalled the application. I have since reinstalled Actual Title Buttons .. but for some reason, I cannot toggle windows 'always on top' or not. When I click the icon it doesn't change to show pinned down or unpinned.
I have Zone Alarm Pro installed .. but I think I've allowed ATB the appropriate permissions to manipulate windows. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
MJE

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/27/2008 22:38:01

Michael,

Please specify the following issues:

- Do the other title buttons work without a problem?
- Does the problem happen each time you try to make a window on top of others or is it a sporadic behavior?
- Does it happen with some particular windows or with all of them in your system?
- Does the hotkey toggle the "Stay Always-on-Top" action?

Michael

Posted: 03/30/2008 17:05:19

Michael Rezvanov wrote:

Michael,

Please specify the following issues:

- Do the other title buttons work without a problem?
- Does the problem happen each time you try to make a window on top of others or is it a sporadic behavior?
- Does it happen with some particular windows or with all of them in your system?
- Does the hotkey toggle the "Stay Always-on-Top" action?

1) Other title buttons seem to work fine .. think there is a graphics issue with transparency .. but not bothered about that for now!

2) Its a common problem amongst most of my windows all of the time...
3) The only one I can seem to set 'always on top' and it correctly toggles, is Actual Title Buttons itself .. probably as its newly installed, and wouldn't have been covered "previously" by Actual Window Manager when I had it installed before.
4) Hotkey doesn't work either.

I -think- it has something to do with having run AWM before .. its trial expired .. and I think something has remained set or altered in the registry possibly? I may be entirely wrong, but this may help you get a lead on whats happening.

There are several applications I use which do set themselves 'always on top' in their own configuration, such as winamp, Trillian (IM) and a few others, but those without the option to set 'on top' appear to have got lost somehow.

Hopefully this helps, if not .. I'll try to answer any further questions :)

Regards,

Michael E. :)

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/30/2008 22:51:49

Michael,

Try to do the following:

- Uninstall both AWM and ATB.
- Make sure that there remained no instances of both programs in Program Files.
- Install ATB.

Does it help?    

Michael

Posted: 04/05/2008 17:26:06

Michael Rezvanov wrote:

Michael,

Try to do the following:

- Uninstall both AWM and ATB.
- Make sure that there remained no instances of both programs in Program Files.
- Install ATB.

Does it help?                                                            

Did as you suggested .. still got a problem :( Dunno what it can be .. feels like something didn't install properly, or worse .. uninstall properly! I even cleared the files from C:\Documents and Settings\<etc> and entries for 'Actual Tools' from the registry too. Maybe my windows has got corrupt :/ hope not!

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/07/2008 03:18:03

Michael,

That's really strange!

Try to turn off Zone Alarm Pro, maybe that's the culprit.

Additionally please clarify the following:

1) You wrote that "its a common problem amongst most of your windows". So, try to make "common" windows such as Windows Explorer, Notepad, Calculator etc. on top of others, any success?

2) You also wrote that you have windows that have their own 'always on top' functions. The question is: does the ATB' Stay always on top button appear on them?

3) Do you have any other system utility currently installed on your machine?

Michael

Posted: 04/14/2008 18:43:42

Ok, here's what I've just done...

1) Gone into ZAP, deleted all references to applications by ActualTools in the "program control" section.
2) Shut down ZAP.
[edit] 2.5) Stop, and reStart ATB
3) Tried a few applications setting 'Always on top' with some success....AFTER restarting the application concerned.
4) Restarted ZAP.
5) Applications tested still perform "always on top" correctly.

However, there appear to be a few applications, despite restarting, that won't Peg 'Always on Top'. Opera is currently one example .. I shall monitor the situation, and list windows which DO NOT function correctly.

It is conceivable that if I reboot, the rogue things might also be fixed .. I will post an update if this is the case!

I mighta known ZAP would be the culprit!
Damn M$ ... lol :)

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/17/2008 01:52:53

Michael,

Ok, please let us know the results of your test.

Concerning the Opera issue. Did you create specific settings for its window and there teach it to stay on top of other applications? If yes, make sure that these particular settings are applied to Opera. You can check it either via Windows Monitoring Log or via clicking the spanner title button (there will emerge a window menu, the first item indicates Currently applied settings).  

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register