New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM Virtual Desktops crashing - Windows 7 64-bit » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 59333

Aiden Gardson

Posted: 11/12/2018 22:16:53

Hi Bogdan,

Firstly, thank you for such a useful application that is now an integral part of my daily workflow.

Unfortunately I've encountered a serious problem with Actual Virtual Desktops as part of AWM (8.13.2).

When I try to change virtual desktop, either via the hotkey or the virtual desktops switcher, the program freezes and hangs, also preventing access to windows and applications on other desktops. Following the freeze the right click access to AWM from the system tray icon opens the menu but non of the menu items respond or open (and the menu is then also frozen open). AWM is totally unresponsive.

The AWM crash occurs more readily when either Microsoft Skype for Business or Microsoft Outlook are running.
Operating Skype using Windows 7 compatibility mode might have helped alleviate the problem a little. Running Outlook in Windows 7 compatibility is not possible as the email profile will not load.

I have already tried the following:
- removing and reinstalling AWM
- Reinstalling an earlier versions of AWM (8.13, 8.13.1) instead of 8.13.2
- removing contents of the Appdata AWM folder and starting again

I am using a laptop PC running a single external monitor via DisplayPort (NVIDIA Quadro K2100M graphics adaptor). The laptop screen is not used.

I had previously been using AWM with virtual desktops without problem for a couple of years.

Installation details are:
Windows 7 Professional version 6.1 (build 7601: Service Pack 1)
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013
Microsoft Outlook 2013 (15.0.5075.1001) 64-bit
Skype for Business 2015 (15.0.5701.1000) 64-bit

I am unable to save a log of events as the only way to gain control of the PC again is to restart AWM after stopping the windows process for AWM.

Regards,

Aiden

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/13/2018 19:43:59

Hello, Aiden

The AWM crash occurs more readily when either Microsoft Skype for Business or Microsoft Outlook are running.
Do you mean this happens not every time you switch between virtual desktops? How often does it happen usually, when Skype or Microsoft Outlook are not running (for example one of five times you switch)?

I am using a laptop PC running a single external monitor via DisplayPort (NVIDIA Quadro K2100M graphics adaptor). The laptop screen is not used.
Could you see whether the problem happens with the laptop screen only, without DisplayPort adapter connected?

I had previously been using AWM with virtual desktops without problem for a couple of years.
Did you use the same monitors setup back then?

When the freezing happens, are you able to access the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)? Maybe, if you open it before the problem happens and send it to all virtual desktops, so that it was accessible from every virtual desktop, when the problem happens?

Best regards.

Aiden Gardson

Posted: 11/13/2018 22:36:44

Hi Bogdan,

Some replies below and results of further testing.

Regards,

Aiden.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, Aiden

Do you mean this happens not every time you switch between virtual desktops? How often does it happen usually, when Skype or Microsoft Outlook are not running (for example one of five times you switch)?

It usually happens on my first attempt at switching desktop. On some occasions the virtual desktops switch a few times and then stop responding and freezing. Once frozen the only solution is to end the ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32 process.

Could you see whether the problem happens with the laptop screen only, without DisplayPort adapter connected?

I rebooted the laptop with the laptop screen only (Generic non-PnP Monitor -> Intel® HD Graphics 4600) and monitor disconnected. The crash still occurs.

Did you use the same monitors setup back then?

Yes, I've been using the same setup for more than two years, without problem until the last few weeks.

When the freezing happens, are you able to access the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)? Maybe, if you open it before the problem happens and send it to all virtual desktops, so that it was accessible from every virtual desktop, when the problem happens?

Best regards.

Yes, I can leave the Task Manager open (on all desktops). During the freeze/crash nothing noticeably changes in Task Manager. The processes ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32, ActualWindowManagerCenter64.exe, and ActualWindowManagerCenterShellCenter64.exe all remain active.  

Following a freeze/crash stopping the ActualWindowManager process is the only way I can regain control again. Once stopped, some of my running applications are missing from the taskbar (as they are 'lost' to a different virtual desktop that is no longer accessible). The only way to access these running program windows is to run AWM again, turn off Virtual Desktops in the config, and close then close the AWM.

If I don't attempt to switch desktops AWM continues to run for several hours without problem.

(On version 8.13.1 I was also unable to shutdown the laptop, but that has resolved itself in 8.13.2)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/14/2018 11:59:52

Aiden,

Could you open the Task Manager, send it to all virtual desktops, reproduce the problem and see what the common CPU usage in the system is (Performance tab) and what processes have the greatest values of the CPU usage parameter (on the Processes tab) when the freezing happens. What are the CPU usage values of Actual Window Manager processes?

Yes, I've been using the same setup for more than two years, without problem until the last few weeks.
Can you recall any events in the system about that time? Maybe some software updates or installation of new software?

Best regards.

Aiden Gardson

Posted: 11/14/2018 19:46:37

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Aiden,

Could you open the Task Manager, send it to all virtual desktops, reproduce the problem and see what the common CPU usage in the system is (Performance tab) and what processes have the greatest values of the CPU usage parameter (on the Processes tab) when the freezing happens. What are the CPU usage values of Actual Window Manager processes?

Can you recall any events in the system about that time? Maybe some software updates or installation of new software?

Best regards.

Hi Bogdan,

Under normal operation:

ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32  - CPU 00 or 01, Memory 3,000 K and increasing upwards to over 18,000K after a few minutes) and then falling back to 3,000 K.
This trend repeats every few minutes.
ActualWindowManagerCenter64.exe  -  CPU 00, Memory 8,396 K slowly grows to over 10,000 K after a few minutes
ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe  -  CPU 00, Memory 868 K

Switching desktops causes a short-term increase in memory to over 20,000 K and CPU usage of about 03% for a second, returning to normal afterwards.

After AWM virtual desktop freeze/crash:

There is no noticeable change in CPU levels until trying to right click AWM tray icon, and then ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32 increases CPU to about 13% and remains at this level with the application and menu being unresponsive.

Sometimes before the crash the desktop wallpaper does not change after switching desktops, but the open applications on each desktop appear. No change to CPU levels.

No other application is using more than 0 - 1%. There is no noticeable change to CPU for other applications or processes following the crash.
Common CPU usage is about 15% - 20% throughout, rising to about 30% following the crash and right clicking AWM tray icon menu.

Having Outlook and/or Skype running accelerates how quickly and often the crash happens.

For testing purposes I have tried using AWM exclusion rules for Outlook and Skype, but the crash still occurs.

Just for information the PC has 32GB of memory so it should be more than enough.

I don't think there have been any software updates apart from AWM.

Regards,

Aiden

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/16/2018 13:54:21

Aiden,

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Please change the "To..." email address to uninstall@actualtools.com in the email and add a link to this topic to the email.

Did the problem start immediately after update to 8.13.2, or this version worked without this problem for some time?

Could you provide your computer's specifications: CPU and graphics card models?

There is no noticeable change in CPU levels until trying to right click AWM tray icon, and then ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32 increases CPU to about 13% and remains at this level with the application and menu being unresponsive.
Could you reproduce this problem and when the CPU consumption of ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32 grows up to 13%, create a dump file of this process (right click on this process in the Processes tab of Task Manager > Create Dump File). After the file is created, the window displaying the path to the file should appear. Please, find this file and send it to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Best regards.

Aiden Gardson

Posted: 12/02/2018 23:20:52

Hi Bogdan,

Apologies for my delayed reply.

I have sent the configuration files to tech support using uninstall@actualtools.com.

The think the problem was also present in 8.13.1, but it was also compounded by the inability to shutdown windows (which is now ok in 8.13.2).

The computer has Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ CPU @2.70GHz and NVIDIA Quadro K2100M graphics.

I am unable to email the DMP file as it exceeds 158MB.

Regards,

Aiden

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2018 16:27:18

Aiden,

You can use Firefox Send or other file sharing service that doesn't require registration to upload the dump file and send us a link to the file via email. Please note that some of them can have the storage time limitation, so it's better to send the link as soon as you upload the file.

Best regards.

Aiden Gardson

Posted: 12/04/2018 02:23:19

Hi Bogdan,

I have uploaded the DMP file and sent you a link via email.

Thanks for continuing to investigate the problem.

Regards,

Aiden

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/08/2018 07:26:30

Aiden,

Thank you for sending the dump file. We have some idea how the problem possibly can be fixed. Do you mind installing a test build of the progam to test the solution?

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register