Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Move Window to Next monitor ?? goes by number, not by layout. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14092

Joel

Posted: 10/17/2018 23:03:20

I recently purchased and installed Actual Multiple monitors, a god-send of a program for folks like me who run with numerous monitors on the same system.  First off, great work on the app!!  This has given me much of the functionality that Windows should have by default, but doesn't.

I am trying to figure out how to use keyboard shortcuts to easily move an open window to the monitor on my left or right, etc.

I should mention, in windows display settings, the order of my 3 monitors from left to right currently goes:

1 - 3 - 2

That's just the numbers that windows assigned them.  Obviously, I can drag and drop my monitors to get them to line up more accurately to the way they are layed out in the real world, and thus drag my mouse seamlessly between them.  However, if I hit the (windows + / ) shortcut on my keyboard, which should move a window to the next monitor (win + shift + / should move it back in other direction), the windows move according to the window number assignment, not according to the physical layout.

Is there any way to change the number assignment, or fix the functionality so that they will advance according to real world layout?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/22/2018 20:24:57

Hello, Joel

Thank you for your high appreciation of our work. It's true pleasure to have such grateful users like you!

However, if I hit the (windows + / ) shortcut on my keyboard, which should move a window to the next monitor (win + shift + / should move it back in other direction), the windows move according to the window number assignment, not according to the physical layout.
This is how the program works now. We'll consider moving by layout as a feature request and will post in this topic if this is implemented.

There is the ability to create custom Move to monitors hotkeys and adjust them to move a window to exactly specified monitor. Probably, this feature will be helpful for you. The hotkeys can be created here: AMM configuration module > Hotkeys > Actions > Green plus symbol icon. Once you click it a new Move to monitor hotkey will be created, and you'll be able to adjust it.

Best regards.

Bob

Posted: 11/08/2018 00:33:27

I have this same issue, just upgraded from 4.0 to 8.13. Previously, move to left/right worked in the physical order of the monitor layout. Now it goes in monitor order. I have too much muscle memory for left/right hotkey, to change to 3 different hotkeys.

I think I can work around this by rearranging my monitors, but that's because my new graphics card has 3 connectors. In my previous setup, the center monitor had to be 1, on the motherboard connector; so this behavior would be a real problem.

Please update/restore this feature - it's pretty much the only reason I use this software.

Thanks,
Bob

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/09/2018 17:53:29

Hello, Bob

Previously, move to left/right worked in the physical order of the monitor layout.
Move to monitor never worked this way, it always moved windows to monitors by their numbers. Probably, physical order matched the numbering in your case previously.

But we'll take your vote into account and will post in this topic once the feature is implemented.

Best regards.

Bob

Posted: 11/25/2018 05:19:26

Hi,

Yes, from working on another problem (separate post), I think my previous layout was 3-1-2 (or 2-3-1). Either way, this would still "work" for move-left and move-right. I was pretty sure I had to have #1 in the center on my previous setup for boot screen to show. It explains why I thought it was a feature in an older AMM version, but wasn't. It just happens to wrap around so it works. I upgraded AMM and changed my layout at the same time, so I thought it was a removed feature.

But still, if you could implement physical display order, that would be nice.

Thanks,
Bob

Matt A

Posted: 04/10/2019 23:22:22

I am wondering if there has been any update on this topic?  Thanks!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/11/2019 00:55:30

Hello, Matt

Unfortunately, the feature hasn't been implemented yet.

But we'll take your vote into account as well and will post in this topic if the feature is implemented.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register