Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «How do virtual desktops work when adding/removing external monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2764

Tom Robinson

Posted: 09/11/2018 06:10:51

Hi,

I'm hoping to use Actual Window Manager's virtual desktops feature to deal with using a laptop sometimes with an external monitor and sometimes without. I'm using a development environment that sometimes results in 40 or 50 open windows on my 27" external monitor. Sometimes Windows 10 seems to lose the external monitor and moves all of the windows onto the laptop monitor. Can I move virtual desktops between monitors? What happens when my external goes away or I disconnect it? Can the VDesktop on the external monitor migrate to the laptop monitor?

TIA,

Tom

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/13/2018 16:40:10

Hello Tom,

Thank you for contacting Actual Tools Support Service.

When an external display goes away, Windows automatically move all applications/windows to another display. Unfortunately, Actual Window Manager doesn't have a feature to avoid this behavior.

However, could you specify which exactly moments your Windows 10 loses the extenral display at? Maybe, you configured to disable the external display after a period of inactivity in Windows Power Plan settings?

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register