New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 23
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Audio not switching to monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 40345

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 06/15/2018 10:04:57

I'm using the latest version of Actual Multiple Monitors v8.12.2 and have it setup to have the audio "Bound to Monitor: Application Default".  I have both my monitors hooked up via Display Port and whenever I am watching YouTube or something else (in FireFox browser) and switch the application over to the other monitor, the audio continues to play from the same monitor and doesn't switch over.  It's never worked reliably, but now it won't work at all.  I'm using an nVidia 1060 GTX with the latest Spring update 1803 of Windows 10 Pro x64.

Not sure if I just am not configuring something correctly or there is an issue with AMM and the latest Win 10 build?

Thank you,
Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/17/2018 20:46:58

Hello, Nelson

The "Application default" option means the default audio device in the system. If you want audio to be performed by device of respective monitor, you should specify this device in the "Bound audio device" option for the monitor.

Let us know if you're able to make audio switcher work this way.

Best regards.

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 06/18/2018 20:14:31

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, Nelson

The "Application default" option means the default audio device in the system. If you want audio to be performed by device of respective monitor, you should specify this device in the "Bound audio device" option for the monitor.

Let us know if you're able to make audio switcher work this way.

Best regards.

Thank you Bogdan.  I have it set to "Bound to monitor: Application Default".  It doesn't work with that option.  I have it set to "Bound to monitor" (with the option "Switch audio playback device" selected) and it's not working.  I don't see a "Bound to audio device" option (unless that is what I already have selected) and I do not sel ect "Application Default or "Exactly specified" as I want the audio to switch to the different monitor when the application playing the sound/music switches.  Apologies if I'm still missing a simple setting.

Currently the audio is always playing fr om my monitor "1" (right monitor) and if I force the audio to my other monitor via "Exactly specified" option, it will play through monitor "2", but as soon as I switch it back to "Bound to monitor: Application Default" it switch back to "1" (even if the application playing the sound is on the other monitor).

Kind Regards,
Nelson

Window 10 x64 Pro
nVidia 1060GTX
Viewsonic VG2439 monitors (via display port connections)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/19/2018 14:42:48

Nelson,

I have it set to "Bound to monitor: Application Default".
Where exactly you've set it this way? Do you mean you selected "Application Default"?

I don't see a "Bound to audio device" option
In order to make the "Bound to monitor" option work, you need to bind audio devices to the monitors first. Go to the Audio Switcher section of the AMM configuration module (AMM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Audio Switcher) and specify an audio device in the "Bound audio device" option for each monitor (see the screenshot). Hit apply. Once you do this, audio from a window placed on a monitor will be played on the device bound to the monitor, if the "Bound to monitor" option is selected for the window.
If "-Not specified-" is selected for the "Bound audio device" option for a monitor, then audio will switch to application default device (most often it is the default audio device in the system), if you move a window with the "Bound to monitor" option enabled to this monitor.

You can disable the "Switch Audio Playback in All Multimedia Applications Automatically > At startup to Audio device" option, if you want your other applications to work in usual mode, and enable this option for particular applications specially in the specific settings for these applications (AMM configuration module > Window Settings > Specific Settings > particular Specific Settings > Startup > Switch audio playback to device). Or you can enable it manually via the Audio Switcher title button/window menu item.

Best regards.

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 06/20/2018 11:28:54

Thank you Bogdan.  I believe I may have found an issue in AMM.  I went to the Audio Device-To-Monitor Binding settings and bound my monitors #1 and #2 to the correct audio device (each monitor's speakers).  However, since my monitors have the exact same name - I believe it keeps defaulting (using) the first monitor (monitor #1) in AMM. Please see my attached image.

When I sel ect monitor #1 (highlights with a blue rectangle) - I see that it has the correct bound audio device.  Then when I select monitor #2, it still shows the same device in the dropdown list highlighted (not the monitor with the same name below it!)  If I choose a different audio device for monitor #2, like my headset - it works! (i.e. remembers that value and when I switch my app to the other screen the audio moves).  Therefore as-is, having two monitors with the exact same name - when I switch my application fr om monitor #1 to monitor #2, the audio continues to play on #1 and not #2.  I don't believe the binding is holding correctly. I can make a video if you require to see it.

Additionally, I just found that if I have AMM bound to my monitors and I want to listen to my headset, the audio constantly plays through the monitors!  Selecting my "Headset Earphone (Corsair VOID Pro Wireless Gaming Headset)" in Windows sound devices as my playback device does nothing!  Audio never plays to it - ONLY the monitor.  I have to go into AMM (the little speaker in the title button bar) and select "Application Default" and then I can change/use my headset!  This is weird.  It's like AMM is completely overriding Windows.  Not sure how AMM would be able to know and go back and forth between devices (especially when wanting to use a headset).

Thank you again for your assistance!

Kind Regards,

Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/24/2018 16:57:31

Nelson,

Could you see when exactly the bound device is reset for one of the monitors and how exactly it happens:
go to the Audio Switcher settings section, set the first "VG2439..." device in the list for the monitor 1, then select the monitor 2 and set the second device in the list for it. Then select the monitor 1 again – is the first device in the list set for this monitor?
Then select the monitor 2 again. Is the second device in the list set for this monitor?
Then hit Apply, see whether the correct devices are set for the monitors after this.
And then close/open the configuration module and see whether the correct devices are set.

It's like AMM is completely overriding Windows.
This is the purpose of this feature, in a way – to let a user manage audio of applications in more flexible and precise way as opposed to just to let default device in the system to reproduce all the audio.

If you want sometimes all audio in the system to be reproduced via the headphones, then for now you can go to the Audio Switcher settings, and select the "Switch audio playback in all multimedia... > Exactly specified" and specify the headphones device.

Also, could you tell how exactly you connect the headphones and to what audio device?

Best regards.

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 06/25/2018 09:16:02

Thank you Bogdan.  As per your request:

Could you see when exactly the bound device is reset for one of the monitors and how exactly it happens:
go to the Audio Switcher settings section, set the first "VG2439..." device in the list for the monitor 1, then select the monitor 2 and set the second device in the list for it. Then select the monitor 1 again – is the first device in the list set for this monitor?
Then select the monitor 2 again. Is the second device in the list set for this monitor?
Then hit Apply, see whether the correct devices are set for the monitors after this.
And then close/open the configuration module and see whether the correct devices are set.

I have created a video for you to view the results (link below). Please let me know if this helps.  What I did was go into the Audio Switcher settings and for monitor #1 set the correct monitor as the audio device, I then did it for monitor #2.  As you can see in the video, selecting monitor #1 or #2, the selected monitor in the dropdown list stays the same.  Since it doesn't think I made a change, I simply checked/unchecked the "At startup..." checkbox to enable Apply button and clicked it.  Again, this didn't make a difference.  I then clicked Okay and reopened the configuration and went to check what audio device was set for each monitor - as you can see in the video, they are both the same device.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1psGi14KAIMe6pmXQom6ITDLI2dN-cYYf

Please let me know if there is anything else to test.

As for my headphones, I normally have to choose the manually - Windows does not auto switch over to them when I power them on.  So, I can just manually switch to them as the "Exactly specified device" or via Windows when I use them.

Thank you again,

Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/01/2018 14:47:34

Hello, Nelson

Could you open the Registry Editor (type "regedit" without quotes into the Search field of the Windows taskbar, click the Registry Editor icon). Then go to the following registry branch:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion­\MMDevices\Audio\Render
Right click the "Render" branch and select Export in the context menu. Send us the registry file to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Best regards.

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 07/02/2018 05:02:06

@Bodgan - I've exported the registry key you have indicated and sent it to the email address specified.  Please let me know if I need to change/test anything.  Thank you.

Best Regards,
Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/04/2018 17:42:26

Nelson,

Thank you for the provided information.

However, since my monitors have the exact same name - I believe it keeps defaulting (using) the first monitor (monitor #1) in AMM.
The problem has been fixed and the fix will be available in the next version of the program.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 23
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register