Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Desktop Backgrounds Disappearing » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4690

Alex Holt

Posted: 11/10/2017 18:05:56

My Specs

Windows 10 Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19)
Intel i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2400
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti SLI
Actual Window Manager - I have the latest, paid version. I don't know/can't find the version number.

Monitor 1: Samsung KS7000 @ 3840x2160 via a Denon AVR, via HDMI
Monitor 2: LG 25UM58 @ 2560x1080 via DP to HDMI adapter
Scaling is set to 125% on both monitors.
Monitor 1 has a static wallpaper.
Monitor 2 has a slideshow that changes every 10 minutes.

As the title says. My background images keep disappearing. I've tried all the suggestions and solutions outlined in other threads I was able to find on this forum. Some have brought them back. But not permanently.
It's hard to say how long it takes for them to vanish. Because more often than not, I have maximised windows open on both screens.

AWM is displaying my settings as outlined above. Whereas in Windows 10 Settings > Personalise, the 'Background' option is 'Solid Colour'. And that colour is what's displayed on the desktop, I'm not sure if that option was what was selected when I chose my settings in AWM.

Ooo. Before writing this post, I was fiddling around in Settings > Personalise and changed 'Solid Colour' to 'Picture'. It changed my backgrounds to the single background image I had before installing AWM a few days ago. While writing this post, the monitor set to display a slideshow changed image (to one of the pictures in the slideshow).

Some more fiddling has revealed that setting 'Choose a fit' under Personalise to anything other than 'Span' or 'Tiled' messes the positioning up of both images - both wallpapers appear, squashed onto both screens. AWM Wallpaper position is set to 'Center'. Selecting 'Next Slide' from the desktop context menu changes the image again with no problem.

I don't know if this has fixed the problem permanently. As I said before. Nothing else I've tried has. But I'm posting this anyway, in case it helps someone else out in the future. I'll update in a bit incase it all goes to pot again.

If there are any other details I ought to post, I'll be happy to.

Alex Holt

Posted: 11/10/2017 18:26:39

11:24

And the wallpaper is back to solid colour again. Windows Settings > Personalise has reverted to 'Solid Colour'. I haven't fiddled with any settings since my original post.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/12/2017 20:03:57

Hello, Alex

Could you download this file UseJPEGCodec.reg, install it and see whether the problem has gone?

Best regards.

Alex Holt

Posted: 11/28/2017 16:20:42

Hi Bogdan.

Sorry for the delayed reply. My second monitor fell off the wall it was mounted on!  :o So I've only just been able to test this fix.

In short. It seems to have fixed it. Hooray! Will this fix still work if I add a third monitor? Or is the number of monitors irrelevant?

Thanks a lot.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/30/2017 01:03:39

Alex,

Will this fix still work if I add a third monitor? Or is the number of monitors irrelevant?
The problem is associated with the fact there is the limitation to the size of the final desktop wallpaper file in the system. Setting Actual Window Manager to convert this file to .jpeg (instead of .png, which is default) significantly reduces the file size and it should solve the problem for quite large desktop sizes. It should solve the problem for most sets of three monitors. If the solution doesn't work for some large size desktop then the problem can be solved by reducing the resulting image quality parameter (the UseJPEGCodec.reg file sets it to 95%).

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register