New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Blank window titles , dialogs/windows that have no title » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 20273

ron

Posted: 06/21/2017 06:09:24

So I've got this old odd-ball but useful app that poorly handles its window size.  AWM does a nice job of correcting that, except for one thing.  Instead of dialogs, it appears to simulate dialogs using the same window class.  So anything like the preferences dialog "looks" like the app to AWM and it blows it up to the size I chose for the app.

So the Preferences dialog is easy enough to handle by creating another rule and matching the title - then specifying no other window customization/sizes.  So AWM recognizes this window but does nothing with it, hence it comes up in the default normal size.

There's one dialog (maybe more) whose title is blank.  There is nothing to match on.  So I create a rule with no title but AWM doesn't seem to take that literally and match the window with no title.  

I've not experimented with regex yet.  not sure if matching on nothing is possible.

Corneliu GIURGIU
Advanced user

Posted: 06/21/2017 14:19:36

There's also a "Window class" option besides the caption. Is that the same for the dialog as for the main one? You can drag-and-drop the little target icon in the lower left section of the AWM "Specific settings" window over your dialog to select it and auto-populate the fields.

ron

Posted: 06/22/2017 11:02:27

Yep, window class is identical on all Windows & Dialogs for this app

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/22/2017 18:58:50

Hello, gentlemen

Ron,

The more window criteria you specify in the Target Window section of Specific Settings, the more limited becomes the set of windows this Settings can be applied to.

If the main window has caption, try to specify this caption in the Specific Settings. Then the settings won't be applied to the windows that don't have such caption.

Let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Best regards.

ron

Posted: 06/22/2017 20:40:43

If you read the 3rd paragraph in my first post above you'll see I stated that the window "title" is blank.  By "title" I was also referring to caption.

How can I tell AWM to match a window that has no caption?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/22/2017 22:44:38

Ron,

I thought you needed to apply the settings to the application's main window only as you wrote:
and it blows it up to the size I chose for the app

Specify, what windows of the application you need the settings to be applied to and tell whether all these windows have caption.

Is this program available for downloading? What is the name and version of the program?

ron

Posted: 06/22/2017 23:24:54

No, the main window has no title I can use for matching since it's dynamic - depending on the document open.  So my only match is really the app name and window class.

The "Preferences" dialog/window has a title, I can match/distinguish it, and it's no problem.  

There are other windows that have no title at all.  So I was just trying to figure out, how can i match 'blank' :-)

If I could just set rules that say don't do anything with windows that have no title, then that would work.  Basically like the Preferences window where I match it but don't change any other attributes.  So it just comes up as normal.

ron

Posted: 06/22/2017 23:41:15

Oh, sorry, forgot this.  It's old and no longer updated but still available.

http://www.clarify-it.com/download

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/23/2017 10:55:04

Ron,

To match blank window caption, you can use the following regular expression:

^$

BTW, you did not specify the version of AWM you are using.

ron

Posted: 06/25/2017 01:31:00

^$ didn't work.  Though the Test button implies that it would.  Maybe the dialog title is not empty/blank but just invisible.  

I'm on 8.8.  

It's not terribly important.  The program functions OK, I was just tying to make it play nice :-)

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register