Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Window 'peek' from taskbar thumbnails , Frustrating difference between 2 machines » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9599

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/11/2017 03:16:18

I have a laptop and desktop both running Win10 Pro 64-bit v1607, and AWM 8.10.2.

AWM is set to replace the system taskbar on both - in fact, I exported the config from my desktop AWM setup and imported it onto my newly re-installed laptop.

On my desktop, when I hover over a taskbar icon, the thumbnail of the app pops up. If I then move the mouse onto the thumbnail, _nothing happens_, which is exactly what I want. I can right-click to get the context menu for the app, or left-click to activate it.

On my laptop, when I hover over a taskbar icon, the thumbnail of the app pops up. If I then move the mouse onto the thumbnail, the app itself is 'peek-ed' or 'solo-ed' - or whatever they call it when all other apps are minimised and that one app window is shown.

This is seriously distracting, but even more frustrating as I can't figure out what the difference is between the 2 machines! If I pause AWM, the thumbnails behave as I want (no app peek), but obviously I lose all the other AWM functionality.

What am I missing? I couldn't find any help online, as almost every way I can think of to search for this returns the often copied tweak of setting ExtendedUIHoverTime, but I don't think that's anything to do with this. I _want_ taskbar thumbnails. I just don't want them to 'peek' the app.

Many thanks!

Dave.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/13/2017 18:24:39

Hello, David

Have you disabled the Aero Peek feature purposely? How have you managed to disable it?

Could you send us the configuration files of Actual Window Manager from your laptop using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Please, add a link to this topic to the email.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/15/2017 00:39:56

Well, I haven't _knowingly_ disabled it, although without AWM running, I don't get the 'peek' behaviour, either on the taskboar thumbnails or the Alt-Tab switcher. I know this used to be a feature of Windows 8, but I presumed enough people had complained that Microsoft had eventually given in and removed it.

And so, of the 4 combinations I have, peek is only happening in one of them (and to be clear, I'd rather it didn't happen at all):

Laptop + AWM = peek
Laptop + no AWM = no peek
Desktop + AWM = no peek
Desktop + no AWM = no peek

Again, just to be clear, I don't see the 'peek' behaviour on the Alt-Tab Switcher in any of these combinations.

I'm emailing the laptop config file now.

Tx

David.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/15/2017 01:02:35

OK - this got me confused, so I went digging. I eventually found the 'Peek' setting in System Properties → Performance Settings → Untick Enable Peek

Curious that it doesn't peek the taskbar thumbnails when AWM _isn't_ running, but does _with_ AWM.

Anyway, all sorted :). Sorry for the interruption!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register