Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Windows dont stay in Grids when Pc goes into rest mode » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 30861

adam roberts

Posted: 02/17/2017 19:23:27

Hi ive currently got the product in trial mode and really enjoying it..

Ive just got one small problem beofre i decide to pay for the full version..

I have all my windows set up correctly but when my pc goes into sleep mode when im away fr om the pc all the windows default to one of my monitors. Is there anyway to get them to stay in the grids wh ere i had them set up before?

Thanks again...

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/19/2017 09:35:42

Hello, adam

It seems like other monitors are disabled in the system during the sleep mode, i.e. desktop is not extended onto them and all windows go to one monitor.

What is your monitor layout and what interfaces do you use to connect the monitors to the computer (DVI, HDMI etc)? Do you use docking station or USB video adapters?

We'll consider implementing of the ability to keep the windows layout in situations like this, when some monitors are disasbled and then enabled.

For now you can return the windows to their places the following way: if you've placed them not manually but using the Default/Specific Settings of our program, then you can re-apply these settings to all windows by using the "Pause/Resume the program" actions combination (via the hotkey "Ctrl+Alt+Num-", but the hotkey needs to be enabled first OR via the Pause/Resume tray icon context menu items). After you do this, the windows will be placed in accordance with the settings again.

Best regards.

adam roberts

Posted: 02/19/2017 19:26:35

Hi Bogdan, Thanks for the reply.. I have 2 x samsung SE790c ultrawide monitors attached to a single Nvidia 1050 mini video card using a HDMI and a display port..

Brad J

Posted: 02/28/2017 23:01:54

I am having the same problem with my computer.  This is a company laptop, and it has the screensaver enforced by group policy (cannot change it myself, as it just changes back after a few hours).  Adam's symptoms are exactly the same as mine.  As soon as I log back in, all of the program positions are incorrect.

I have a laptop in a docking station.  I use the laptop screen and two external monitors (each is a different brand/model).  I have my power settings to "Never" turn off the display.  As for screensaver, I cannot disable it due to corporate security settings.

It is a nice program, but the whole reason I installed it was so that I would not have to keep manually positioning my windows.  In the current state of the program, I still have to reposition the screens manually.   This is not cool.

Your workaround worked for me, so that's a start, but as monitors going to sleep and shifting enabled/disabled state is a daily occurrance on almost every computer, this seems like something that should be fixed.

adam roberts

Posted: 03/02/2017 21:22:39

Yeah i still cant find a workaround for this other than leaving my screens on ALL the time which isnt ideal. My trial runs out in about 10 days and this is the only issue ive found. EVerytime I come back to the pc after a while i have to snap all my windows back into the positions i require. There must be a way round this surely?

Cheers

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/03/2017 21:21:23

Gentlemen,

For now, the only way to return windows to the positions they had before the monitors were disabled is the one I've described above:
For now you can return the windows to their places the following way: if you've placed them not manually but using the Default/Specific Settings of our program, then you can re-apply these settings to all windows by using the "Pause/Resume the program" actions combination (via the hotkey "Ctrl+Alt+Num-", but the hotkey needs to be enabled first OR via the Pause/Resume tray icon context menu items). After you do this, the windows will be placed in accordance with the settings again.

Brad J,

What is the screensaver launched on your laptop? It is displayed on the external monitors or only on the laptop monitor?

What OS are you running (version, 32- or 64-bit)?

Gary Rosner

Posted: 03/04/2017 02:56:43

Bogdan,
From my own experience and experience living with this issue, the cause (for me at least) has to do with using a Display Port 1.2 monitor. This monitor type does not communicate with the video adapter in the same manner as an HDMI monitor when the monitor goes to sleep. Upon monitor wake-up, the monitor is seen as a new monitor by Windows and all the open windows contained in the Actual Virtual Desktops rearrange and move from the AVD desktops onto the primary desktop (the Display port monitor). In a multi-monitor configuration, I believe you you can duplicate the issue by cycling the power on the primary monitor (while running AVD). (not sure if that works with HDMI monitors or if you need Display Port connection to the primary monitor). In the background when the primary monitor power is off, Windows creates "virtual monitors" for each physical monitor and temporarily "parks" the open windows onto these virtual monitors. However, upon monitor wake up, the opened windows do not return themselves to the prior locations on the AVD desktops.

I use a Dell p2715q 4k monitor as my primary, along with 2 other 1920x1200 monitors!
I hope this helps. It would be beneficial to have a setting in AVD that (based on process id because some programs use multiple windows or instances, and repeat the caption text for each window) can place monitors on a previously saved location in the Virtual Desktop Switcher windows.

Using Windows 10, 65bit.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/09/2017 21:16:18

Hello, Gary

It would be beneficial to have a setting in AVD that (based on process id because some programs use multiple windows or instances, and repeat the caption text for each window) can place monitors on a previously saved location in the Virtual Desktop Switcher windows.
We'll consider implementing of this feature.

Upon monitor wake-up, the monitor is seen as a new monitor by Windows
How do you know that the monitor is seen as a new? What points to this?

all the open windows contained in the Actual Virtual Desktops rearrange and move from the AVD desktops onto the primary desktop (the Display port monitor)
Could you make other monitor Primary when the Display Port monitor is enabled and see whether it influences the problem?

In the background when the primary monitor power is off, Windows creates "virtual monitors" for each physical monitor and temporarily "parks" the open windows onto these virtual monitors. However, upon monitor wake up, the opened windows do not return themselves to the prior locations on the AVD desktops.
Are you describing here how the Windows OS works? Could you please clarify where did you get this information from?

Gary Rosner

Posted: 03/10/2017 09:55:33

Quote 1. Thank you for considering the implementation for this feature. The issue has been around since at least windows 7. It is unlikely MS or display adapter manufacturers will fix this.

Quote 2  There is an assortment of links on the internet that reference the problem:You can google the issue or just start at this link:https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/36gb6z/windows_is_always_resizing_m­y_windows/
or here: http://rcaloca.blogspot.com/2014/12/windows-changing-size-position-after.html
I personally tested this by disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor to replicate the same behavior that occurs when the monitor wakes from sleep.

Quote 3 All my monitors are display port. So I have the same issue when two or more monitors are connected (i have 3).

Quote 4 Info from Microsoft. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-movesresizes-windows-on-monitor-power/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?auth=1

The behavior is the same with different display adapter manufacturers (NVidia and AMD)

Here's the bottom line:
With 2 or more Display Port 1.2 monitors connected to a Windows 10 computer, AVD configured ONLY ON THE NON PRIMARY MONITOR, the following occurs: Upon a MONITOR (OR MONITOR AND COMPUTER) wake from sleep, ALL (Every single open window) windows moves off the the AVD desktops and stack themselves onto the primary monitor.
The situation is easily replicated:

1. Get a Windows 10 computer. Add 2 Display Port monitors (60Mhz).
2. Configure the non primary window for Actual virtual desktop.
3. Place some open windows on the AVD virtual desktops
4. Set power settings to sleep monitor in 2 minutes. Then wait.
5. DO NOT IMMEDIATELY WAKE THE MONITOR. Wait about 2 to 5 minutes.
Result: You will see the windows move off the AVD desktops onto the primary desktop.

Incidently, the problem does not occur if all monitors are HDMI. I believe this is because HDMI internface maintains a connection to the display adapter does not exist with display port.

Thanks again for your attention to this issue.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register