Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «RDP Outlook Reading Pane issue , The reading pane sometimes does not paint for a long time, if at all » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11329

fstrasz Strasz

Posted: 02/16/2017 21:50:54

I am running AWM on a remote session. That session is Windows 10 with Outlook 2016 (part of the Office 365 business suite). The reading pane is on the right. On many emails (perhaps that are HTML with references elsewhere) the reading pane just clocks. I can see that Outlook is trying to paint (small progress roll is displayed at the top of the reading pane window) but it doesn't finish. The moment I pause AWM, it paints. Selecting previously problematic emails show up just fine within a second. If I resume AWM, I have the problem again. Something from AWM is holding up the ability of Outlook to either refresh/get the data for the reading pane or preventing the reading pane from painting properly.

Much appreciate any solution to this. Am evaluating AWM against other products. I do really like AWM much better, but I can't keep pausing and resuming AWM forever.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/18/2017 23:04:33

Hello, fstrasz

Are you sure that this problem happens only or mainly with particular "problematic" emails? If yes, then could you tell more certainly about what special these windows have (for example the mentioned HTML with references elsewhere)?

Does it happen every time you switch to these emails? If not every time, then could you tell how often it happens (for example 3 of 10 times when you switch to these widnows).

Could you also when the issue appears go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes tab (or Details tab in Windows 8 and 10) and end the dwm.exe process and see whether the issue stops immediately.

Do you have local access to this PC? Can you check whether this problem appears in a local session?

Could you check whether the issue depends on the time the system works without restart: reset the computer, launch AWM and Outlook and then check whether you're able to reproduce the issue right after the restart .

If the problem doesn't appear the first time you try to reproduce it, then see after what time of the system work without restarts the problem appears.

Best regards.

fstrasz Strasz

Posted: 03/24/2017 01:30:44

Hi, yes, it happens with many emails but not all. It also happens if I open a separate Outlook Task window. Nothing shows up in the list. It happens every time with certain emails and every time with the task window.

I've tried the Task Manager and ending the tasks. That takes quite some time to kill off the tasks. But yes, the windows repaint fine afterward.

I don't have local access to the machine as it is running on a remote VM server.

It happens immediately on startup, restart, etc.

It is very easy to reproduce.

My workaround now is to start up all my applications so Actual Windows can put them in the correct places and then to Pause ActualWindows. Otherwise, it is unusable waiting for the window to paint for email reading.

Scott Bonacker

Posted: 03/24/2017 20:53:11

I was also having problems with Outlook 2016 on Win10x64 - Outlook was freezing at inopportune times, was unable to identify a pattern or reproduce at will.

The solution for me has been to not start Actual Windows Manager at all. I miss the functionality, but Outlook 2016 now behaves the way I need it to. :|

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/27/2017 20:18:40

fstrasz,

yes, it happens with many emails but not all
Have you notice anything special about these windows? Do they all have the mentioned HTML with references elsewhere?

It also happens if I open a separate Outlook Task window. Nothing shows up in the list
Are you talking about second instance of Outlook main window and the emails list on the left?

It happens immediately on startup, restart, etc.
Are you talking about restart of your local machine? Are you able to restart the the remote Widnows 10 on the virtual machine?

I've tried the Task Manager and ending the tasks.
What exactly tasks have you tried to end? Did disabling of the dwm.exe process alone solve the problem?

We need to know the total number of the Handles, User Objects and GDI Objects for all processes running in the system when the problem happens. Could you go to "Task Manager > Details > View > Select Columns" in the remote Windows 10 system and enable the "GDI Objects", "User Objects" and "Handles" columns. Then reproduce the issue with Outlook and make several screenshots of the Task Manager window depicting these columns for all processes and send them to us?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/27/2017 23:00:58

Scott,

Outlook was freezing at inopportune times
Could you describe the problem more detailed? Are there problems with displaying of Outlook windows?

Do the windows start to respond after some time from the the moment when they freeze?

was unable to identify a pattern or reproduce at will
Is the problem associated with switching between windows, waking the computer from the sleep mode/screensaver or locking/unlocking of the system?

Is there common system lag, when the problem appears?

Could you also go to "Task Manager > Details > View > Select Columns" and enable the "GDI Objects", "User Objects" and "Handles" columns. Then, when the issue with Outlook appears make several screenshots of the Task Manager window depicting these columns for all processes and send them to us?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register