Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[Fixed] Move Monitor doesn't work for Maximised Windows (v4.5) » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7425

Phil Day

Posted: 11/08/2007 04:01:11

I'm using AWM v4.5 on Windows XP and move monitor works doesn't work for maximised windows.

My set up is a laptop and an external screen, both set to the same resolution (1440x900).  The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X1450.

If I click on the "Move Monitor" button the window disapears from the screen that its on, but doesn't appear on the other screen.   Clicking on the corresponding button in the Windows task bar appears to minimise the window to the task bar, and clicking on it again restores it to the original screen.

Non maximised windows work fine.

I use a dual monitor set-up all the time, and Move Monitor is a great feature, but this glitch is driving me nuts.

I'm happy to install a debug version if there is additional info you want captured.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/08/2007 04:40:43

Phil,

Please specify your bug report:

1. Does it happen with some particular windows? Try to reproduce the situation with maximized Notepad or any Explorer window. What happens with them?

2. How the devices are connected to each other, I mean in what logicality?

3. What do you mean saying: "Clicking on the corresponding button in the Windows task bar appears to minimise the window to the task bar, and clicking on it again restores it to the original screen"?
Did you mean to say that you clicked the Minimize to Tray title button and it performed the action and when you clicked the tray icon it restored the window successfully?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Phil Day

Posted: 12/05/2007 06:50:41

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in follwoing up - I forgot to monitor the forum.    Can you follow up to me at phil.day@hp.com please ?

To answer your points:
1. Any MS Office App, Acrobat, Firefox (and probably others), seem to always have this problem.  IE and notepad seem to sometimes have this problem, esp if they are opend maximised.

2. They are configured from "Display->Properties->Settings" as side by side monitors (i.e. monitor #2 is to the right of monitor #1)

3. No, I'm definatly selecting the "Move to monitor" button.  But the impact form a display perspective is as if I'd hit the standard "minimise" button.  Hence I can still see teh window in the task bar (not the tray).  Clicking on the corresponding button in the task bar, as you would to restore any window or shift focus, has the follwoing effects:

- First click: Nothing
- Second click:  Animation as if the window has just been minimised to the task bar"
- Third click: Window restored to original display.

Hitting <Windows>+/ twice in sucession makes the window disapear (first press) and then come back (second press).

One other thing which I've now noticed is that it seems as if WM is getting confused about which display the window is on.  For a window which has this problem, when maximised on display 1 hovering the mouse over the "Move to" button will produce:

"Move to Monitor 1 <Win>+/"

Although I have also had the same problem when this meassage is correct.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Phil Day

Posted: 12/05/2007 11:40:02

Following up from my last post - I've found that if I add a startup rule for the windows to force them to start on monitor 1 then they work fine - so I'm guessing that there is an initialisation problem in determining which monitor a window has started on.

Phil

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/05/2007 23:17:16

Thank you for your reply.

Please try to reproduce the situation with the latest available Actual Window Manager ver5.0. beta4.

Open the Notepad, check its current size (right-click the Resize title button and check it at the bottom of the window menu) and position.

After this try to move Notepad (as you described) to another monitor. If it fails, check the size and position at the time when Notepad is in the taskbar. Do they change?

Additionally, do the windows move to another monitor by manual dragging?

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/30/2008 00:24:44

The fix is available in the final release of version 5.0  

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help