Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Cannot apply specific settings for software run as admin » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 15601

Justin Samsel

Posted: 09/09/2016 04:38:26

Environment details:

Actual Window Manager 8.9.1
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1607 Build 14.393.105

Application effected:

-Active Directory Users and Computers

-Group Policy Management

-Other Microsoft RSAT tools run as administrator.

Summary of issue:

When I run a program as administrator I am not able to get Actual Window Manager to apply specific settings to that window. It's as if the window is immune.

Things I've tried to fix it:

I have tried using the the setting under Startup > Options > Block premature appearance of window as well as the Compatibility mode setting in order to make changes to the window. Neither provide any resolution.

Other thoughts:

I seem to remember installing AWM long ago and choosing the option to allow AWM to be used on system applications or elevated windows. Not sure I remember how it was worded. I assumed that would prevent this issue from happening but am I wrong?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/09/2016 08:36:52

Hello, Justin

Does it happen with all programs you launch in the "Run as administrator" mode or only with the listed ones?

Does it happen with the Registry Editor application (Win+R, then type regedit in the "Run" window, press Enter)?

If the Registry Editor application windows is not affected by Actual Window Manager then reinstall AWM and during the installation process make sure that the "Support system utilities and administrative tools" option is enabled.

Let us know the results.

Best regards.

Justin Samsel

Posted: 09/09/2016 21:47:10

Thank you for the reply Bogdan.

Does it happen with all programs you launch in the "Run as administrator" mode or only with the listed ones?

So far it happens with all programs I launch in Run as administrator mode. I confirmed this with Notepad++, Task Manager, and Google Chrome so far. I could try other software but I think I'll get the same result.

Does it happen with the Registry Editor application (Win+R, then type regedit in the "Run" window, press Enter)?

It doesn't happen when running Registry Editor exactly as you instructed. However if I type regedit into Windows search box (Cortana) and right click regedit and choose Run as administrator I am then not able to apply AWM settings to that new window. The fastest indicator I have been using to determine if AWM is applicable to a window is right clicking the title bar of these applications and noticing the AWM context menu items do not appear at all.

For good measure I went ahead and reinstalled AWM 8.9.1 and made sure the Support system utilities and administrative tools option was chosen. Unfortunately that did not resolve the issue I am experiencing.

Is there anything else I can try or do to help explain the issue?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/11/2016 16:33:33

Justin,

It doesn't happen when running Registry Editor exactly as you instructed
Do you get a UAC-dialog windows (as on the attached screenshot but for regedit.exe) when launch Registry Editor this way?

Could you launch Registry Editor the way i described, then go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Details tab and see the parameter "User name" for the regedit.exe process. Does this parameter differ from the same parameter of the programs you have the problem with?

Best regards.

Justin Samsel

Posted: 09/21/2016 23:11:14

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Do you get a UAC-dialog windows (as on the attached screenshot but for regedit.exe) when launch Registry Editor this way?

I do get a UAC prompt when typing regedit in the Run window. I work in a business environment in IT, but I don't allow my daily used Windows account have local administrator privileges for security reasons. Whenever I need to run things as admin I type alternative domain administrator credentials into UAC.

Could you launch Registry Editor the way i described, then go to Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Details tab and see the parameter "User name" for the regedit.exe process. Does this parameter differ from the same parameter of the programs you have the problem with?

It does differ. The regedit.exe shows my normal username while the mmc.exe (Active Directory Users and Computers) does my domain admin username.

I will private message you a screenshot of the Task Manager details tab.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/22/2016 16:08:10

Justin,

Could you try to exit Actual Window Manager and run it as administrator the same way you run your other applications (entering the alternative domain administrator credentials into UAC). Does it influence the problem?

Justin Samsel

Posted: 10/07/2016 23:33:40

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Justin,

Could you try to exit Actual Window Manager and run it as administrator the same way you run your other applications (entering the alternative domain administrator credentials into UAC). Does it influence the problem?

Sorry for such delayed responses. I appreciate your continued help.

Yes running Actual Window Manager as the administrator does allow me to modify the other windows I ran as the administrator.

Is it possible at all for the Actual Window Manager run under my normal account to modify the windows I open with the administrator account?

Or any other possible resolution for this?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/10/2016 18:05:22

Hello, Justin

Yes running Actual Window Manager as the administrator does allow me to modify the other windows I ran as the administrator.
The windows you run in usual way are not processed by Actual Window Manager then, right?

Is it possible at all for the Actual Window Manager run under my normal account to modify the windows I open with the administrator account?
Unfortunately, this is not possible and there are no possible solutions if you run programs under different user.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register