Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Quickly restart the AWM taskbars , ...if there are problems with them » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2915

David P
Advanced user

Posted: 06/03/2016 14:51:48

Hi forum and ActualTools support team,

I was wondering whether there was a way to restart the AWM taskbars (on additional monitors) via keyboard shortcut.

Sometimes, one of the taskbars crashes and disappears, or some of the buttons assigned to certain windows can disappear.

In this case, instead of having to click through the AWM menus in order to disable the respective taskbar and enable it again, it would be much quicker to have a keyboard shortcut to do this.

Thanks for consideration,

David.P

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/03/2016 17:49:46

Hello, David

There is no way to quickly restart the taskbars separately, but you can use the Pause/resume command hotkey (first you need to enable it in the Configuration module > Hotkeys > Actions > Tools > Pause/resume hotkey). It will restart all the components of the program.

What are the problems with the taskbar that you have? Have you reported these problems before?

David P
Advanced user

Posted: 06/03/2016 19:47:16

Thanks Bogdan, that seems to work.

The problems with the AWM taskbars that I am having ist that the AWM taskbars sometimes completely lose their content (buttons etc). Although the buttons are still there and operative, they are not visible anymore until AWM is restarted.

This however could be related to a special setup of mine, namely a 11.520 pixels wide desktop that officially is not supported by the Win7 DWM, for which however I am running a workaround that is described here.

Sometimes the Desktop Window Manager DWM still blanks or crashes, which makes all windows loose their content (obviously also the AWM taskbars) until the respective windows are minimized and restored once.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/03/2016 22:31:17

David, as there is no official way to restart AWM taskbars, you can create a custom Start Program hotkey with the following parameters:

Code
                 Target: taskkill.exe
Command line parameters: /F /IM ActualWindowManagerShellCenter.exe

then specify the desired key combination. Pressing it, you will invoke the command that will kill the process responsible for running AWM taskbars, and it will be immediately restarted automatically.

If you are running 64-bit version of Windows then add '64' before '.exe' (i.e. ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe).

David P
Advanced user

Posted: 06/06/2016 17:08:04

Thank you Alex, this workaround performs perfectly.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register