Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Desktop Profiles Do Not Activate Properly » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2079

Ben Campbell

Posted: 12/09/2015 09:59:46

So I want two Desktop Profiles, one with just one monitor running (for gaming) and one for all my monitors.  I create these with the Desktop Profiles feature, but when I try to switch between them the behavior is not what it should be.  When I Activate the three monitor setup maybe only two of the monitors are on.  When I Activate the one monitor setup maybe all three remain on.  It just doesn't work reliably.  I'm not sure I've ever seen it work even once 100% correctly.  Anyone know why Desktop Profiles might not work?

I've got a three year old laptop with AMD Radeon 7750M, Windows 10 (didn't work properly under 8.1 either), and the very latest (non-beta) Actual Windows Manager installed.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/09/2015 13:21:38

Hello, Ben

What is your monitor setup? How do you connect the monitors to your laptop?

Ben Campbell

Posted: 12/09/2015 13:29:22

One is HDMI, one is DisplayPort (Active), one is DisplayPort (Passive).  I don't use the laptop screen at my desk.  I can use the AMD control center to modify the displays just fine (enabled/disabled/main/position) and I can use the regular Windows monitor control panel thing.  It may be unrelated, as I had this problem with Actual Window Manager in 8.1, but I did notice that the Windows 10 version of the monitor control panel oddly does not show my disconnected (connected but selected to not be used) monitors; once I use the older control panel item or the AMD control center to enable them they show up fine.

Thanks.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/10/2015 11:22:23

Ben,

Could you enable all your three external monitors (by any means) and then using the "Send to Tech Support" feature of Actual Window Manager (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support) send us your configuration files, which contains among other things information about your displays.

Add the link to this topic to the email.

Ben Campbell

Posted: 12/10/2015 13:04:46

I just sent it.

Also, a possibly related issue which I was going to mention later but suppose I might as well now...  When I set up a Desktop Divider on a monitor it "moves" to another one for no seemingly reasonable reason. For example, I have all three monitors on, and I set up a divider to split the main display into three sections 25%, 50%, 25%.  The next day that divider no longer works on the main monitor and I discover it is being applied to a different monitor.  I did not reboot or disconnect any cables during this time but I may have temporarily stopped extending the desktop (choosing 'disconnect this display' in the control panel applet) to all but the main monitor while I played a game.  My uninformed pet theory was that something about the disconnect/reconnect might be getting the desktop divider to re-assign where it is applied; but I have not specifically tested for this.

Thanks.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/11/2015 18:02:25

Ben,

Could you try to temporarily detach the monitor connected via Active DisplayPort adapter, create two profiles for this monitor setup similar to your current profiles and see whether the problem persists.

Ben Campbell

Posted: 12/12/2015 12:26:10

Thanks, this may have solved it.  I will keep testing, but so far it is working.  (I only say "may" because I have the impression that sometimes it did work before, just not consistently.)  I'll post again once I know it's working for sure.

Ben Campbell

Posted: 12/12/2015 21:45:32

Sadly, as feared, it still doesn't work properly.  

I created the profiles as I believe you intended.  I physically disconnected the monitors I did not want in one profile, then created that Desktop Profile.  I then reconnected them and created the other Desktop Profile.  But, when I then go to switch from one to the other often it does not work.  

For example, I just tried to switch from my Three Monitor profile to my One Monitor gaming profile and all three screens flash once but the two that should turn off remain just as they were.  I then try and switch back to my Three Monitor profile (so I can retry switching to One Monitor) and inconceivably two monitors now turn off but one of them is the wrong monitor (turning off my main monitor and switching my desktop to one of my others).  And now when I try to switch to either of the profiles to see if I can get something to happen now nothing at all happens.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/14/2015 12:56:27

Hello, Ben

What i wanted you to do is to disconnect the monitor connected via Active DisplayPort adapter. Then create two profiles: one with only one monitor enabled (as in your gaming profile) and other with two monitors enabled (HDMI and DisplayPort Passive). Try to switch between these profiles only with two monitors connected, without connecting the third Active DisplayPort monitor.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register