New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Multimonitor Performance , System very slow after changing resolution or en/dis-abling monitors » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5731

Stefan Ervik

Posted: 12/08/2015 01:00:19

When I change resolution or enables/disables my secondary monitor (TV), the system almost stops reponding for about 15-30 seconds.
This only happens if Actual Window Manager is running.
The situation where it is most irritating is when I start or quits a game that either has a different resolution than the desktop or have some other setting that differs. I have also had problems with some game when I changed the screen setting in the game I was unable to confirm I wanted to keep the setting before it went back to the original settings because the system was so sluggish for so long after the display change.
I am not sure exactly when this started I think it was when I was still using Windows 7, and it didn't start when I upgraded to Windows 10 (which I did approximately 2 months ago). I haven't been running AWM other than checking to see if it has been fixed for a while now.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/08/2015 14:24:13

Hello, Stefan

Does it depends on how you change resolution: via the standars Windows settings or via the Configuration module of AWM?

Could you start the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination) when the system slows down and see what processes have the greatest values of the CPU and Memory parameters (in Windows 8 - the Details tab). Let us know the results.

Stefan Ervik

Posted: 12/09/2015 00:06:02

The problem with this is that while this phenomenon is going on the taskmanager isn't updating its gui. What I can see is that prior to the problem the program that is used to change the desktop setup, be it Actual Windows Manager, or Desktop Window Manager uses around 15% CPU. Than everything freezes/stutteres except the pointer which I can move around, but I can't do anything until it unfreezes. But if I don't have Actual Window Manager running this doesn't happen.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/09/2015 12:05:26

Stefan,

Desktop Window Manager uses around 15% CPU[/CODE]
Are you talking about the dwm.exe process?

Does the CPU parameter increases for dwm.exe process when you change the resolution via Actual Window Manager?

What exactly process of Actual Windows Manager uses around 15% CPU?

Stefan Ervik

Posted: 12/09/2015 16:31:55

Yes the process I was talking about was dwm.exe, that was not when I change it via actual window manager, but if I change it via "Advanced Display Settings".
The process is called "Actual Window Manager (32 bit)", which as far as I can realize is the configuration tool.
But it is very difficult to get a real sense of what happens, it could be just random, because the task manager display freezes along with the system, so what is shown is just what the state was at the start of the "event".

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/10/2015 11:46:32

Stefan,

What version of AWM are you running?

Are you running 32- or 64-bit version of Windows 10?

What is the exact version of Windows you have?

What is your video card? What version of drivers for it is installed?

Could you also create brand new user account on your system, install AWM and check whether the problem appear.

Stefan Ervik

Posted: 12/10/2015 17:10:35

AWM 8.6.2 (Also previous versions of AWM)
Windows 10 64bit v1511 Build 10586.29 (the problem was present in the release version of windows 10, and I think, but isn't sure it was present in Windows 7 I was running before)
AMD Radeon Fury, Radeon Crimson v15.11.1 (Also several previous versions of Catalyst drivers)

But I didn't have the problem initially, so it is a problem that cropped up. But it took me a while to pin it down to AWM, which is why it has been a while until I reported it also the reason I'm not sure exacly when it started.

I tried setting up a new user and started AWM in that account. I had the same problems, also when switching users I got the same problem with the system being unresponsive for half a minute after the switch if the target account was running AWM. If i stopped the service in one account I could switch to that without any problems but got the same problems when switching back to the account that still ran AWM. If not run in either there was no problems. Also another situation where the problem appears is when the monitor is being switched off due to power settings when it wakes again I get the same period of unresponsiveness, there seams to be something that switches resolution of the desktop when the monitor switches off.
I run my desktop at 2560x1440 at 90Hz and attached via DisplayPort, I have my TV attached via HDMI, the resolution of the TV is 1920x1080 at 60Hz. It seams that the desktop changes resolution to 1920x1080 when the monitor goes to sleep. This seams to be related to if the TV is on or not. It happens weather it is actually used by the pc or not. This probably happens even if AWM isn't running, only it has already reset to 2560x1440 by the time the monitor is power up so I can see it.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/11/2015 14:50:25

Stefan,

You have the two-monitors setup: your main monitor attached via DisplayPort and your secondary is TV attached via HDMI, right? If not, tell me, what your setup is.

Could you try to reproduce the issue leaving just one of the displays attached alternately? First detach the TV and leave the main display only, then attach the TV and detach the other display. Let me know the results.

Stefan Ervik

Posted: 12/12/2015 23:17:40

The setup is correct.

I tried first removing the cable to the tv and then replacing that and removing the one to the monitor, and trying to change resolution of the desktop. This resulted in exactly the same phenomenon as before with either setup.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/14/2015 14:03:28

Stefan,

Could you check whether AWM is installed with support of system utilities? Run Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and see whether it is affected by AWM (has AWM title buttons and/or window menu items). If support of system utilities is enabled, reinstall AWM and uncheck this option during installation. See wheter disabling this option helps.

If the option was already disabled or disabling doesn't help, then add the dwm.exe process to exclusions:  Configuration module > Window Settings > Exclusions > "Add new exclusion" icon > set dwm.exe as the Program parameter in the newly appeared exclusion > Press Apply. Check whether this helps.

If this doesn't help, then install 8.2 version in separate directory with support system utilities and autorun options disabled. Then run 8.2 version and check whether the problem persists.

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register