Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «How can I get a response from Actual Tools...? , Nobody answers my questions here, please...? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8763

Antonio Machado

Posted: 02/07/2015 19:39:55

Hello my friends:

I have problems with my "Plugable USB 3.0 Multi-Display Adapter".

I have sent e-mails to the three e-mail addresses that appear under "Contact" and nobody seems to care, they just don't answer my questions... Also I posted two different topics in the Forums, one under
General" and the other one under "Technical support" and still they don't even answer my questions...

In the website they don't publish their phone numbers...

What else can I do ? do they have a "Customer Service Department" is there any other way to contact somebody working in this Company...? can somebody suggest me an idea how to fix my problem with this device ? or at least how to contact a Company representative...?

Thank you in advance,

Greetings,

Antonio Machado
elavefenix@hotmail.com

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/07/2015 20:48:21

Hello Antonio,

I do not know when you have sent Actual Tools your e-mails, but they usually are very quick with their responses. Actual Tools has a good customer service. I noticed that you wrote your post with your technical question just yesterday, so i do not know how fast you expect a reply, but if you expected a reply between your first post dated 06.02.2015 23:44:18 in the General forum and the post I am now responding to, I think your expectations are just too high. 06.02.2015 is a Friday and 23.44.18 is very late at night local time in Russia where Actual Tools is. Today it is Saturday and logically you cannot expect an answer before next Monday, but it may take some more time. I can assure you that Actual Tools always responds, so do not panic  :)

Also, I noticed that you posted in all forums. This is not necessary at all, just posting in the Technical Support forum is enough. Posting the same post this many times you do seem a bit too eager to receive an immediate response. It also "pollutes" the non relevant forums, e.g. the Tips & Tricks forum. Please do not do that. As I said I do not know how long you have been waiting for a response from Actual Tools via e-mail, but again, give them at least a couple of days. Usually they answer very promptly, but there may be circumstances when answering takes a bit longer. It is just a small company with a limited number of staff.

That being said I have responded to your technical post in the Technical support forum.

Best regards.

Antonio Machado

Posted: 02/09/2015 08:08:37

Hello Pim Joosten:

Thanks for your interest in my case and your good will to help me, I do appreciate it. Here my comments:

Hello Antonio:

I do not know when you have sent Actual Tools your e-mails, but they usually are very quick with their responses.
I e-mailed them three or four days ago and to this moment I have no response fr om them my friend...

Actual Tools has a good customer service.
I am sure they have a good customer service but unfortunately this has not been my case...

I noticed that you wrote your post with your technical question just yesterday, so i do not know how fast you expect a reply, but if you expected a reply between your first post dated 06.02.2015 23:44:18 in the General forum and the post I am now responding to, I think your expectations are just too high. 06.02.2015 is a Friday and 23.44.18 is very late at night local time in Russia wh ere Actual Tools is. Today it is Saturday and logically you cannot expect an answer before next Monday, but it may take some more time. I can assure you that Actual Tools always responds, so do not panic  smile:)
Yes, my friend, you are probably right in that, I mean my expectations were probably too high. What happens is that in many other experiences I have had a prompt response, within minutes and some companies have even a direct-24 hours service, they immediately contact the customer via e-mail and sometimes they offer real-time on line chatting...

Also, I noticed that you posted in all forums. This is not necessary at all, just posting in the Technical Support forum is enough. Posting the same post this many times you do seem a bit too eager to receive an immediate response. It also "pollutes" the non relevant forums, e.g. the Tips & Tricks forum. Please do not do that.
I agree with you, my friend Pim; I usually don't do it for I consider it violates the internet etiquette, nevertheless after sending the e-mails and after posting my question in the General Forum and still not having a response I decided to try the other SubForums. Now that you kindly answer me, I wish I could delete the other two identical posts and leave only this one, it is to say, the one at "Technical problems" but I don't know how to delete the other ones; if you know, would you please let me know it so I can delete them...? I thank you in advance for your guidance in that matter.

As I said I do not know how long you have been waiting for a response from Actual Tools via e-mail, but again, give them at least a couple of days. Usually they answer very promptly, but there may be circumstances when answering takes a bit longer. It is just a small company with a limited number of staff.
My friend, I am afraid it won't be necessary because after waiting a few days for some technical support I navigated on the Internet and YouTube and everywhere else, I learned a lot in the process and after making a lot of trials/errors experiments and explorations I finally received the following message: "Display link software notification: Your primary Graphics Card (unknown) is not supported by DisplayLink software. It may not be possible to use DisplayLink Technology on this PC unless the Graphics Card is changed to a supported model".

So my friend I am returning this product. I regret doing it so, because I have read a lot of accolades and excellent reviews and great experiences from many satisfied customers.

Now I have three questions from you, Pim:

1. Is there any other similar product that might do the job ? are there in the market other "Plug and play" converters/adapters just like this one ? any suggestions so I can contact the manufacturer checking the compatibility of their products before buying their items ?

2. After all this mess, my friend Pim, now I have a problem: the two 24" monitors which I have been using during several years, now are mirrored, they mirror each other and whatever I do in one is mirrored in the other one. What can I do to fix that ? I already tried "Restore system" to several previous points but nothing improves. I have detected that the system does not recognizes my actual Graphic Card anymore, that is probably the reason. Is there any way to make my pc recognice it ?

Thanks again for your kind interest in helping me, my friend Pim. Please try to answer me the questions above.

Greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/09/2015 11:19:37

Hello gentlemen,

Antonio, we didn't receive emails from elavefenix@hotmail.com on the support@actualtools.com email address. What email address did you send your messages from?

The problem is related to DisplayLink hardware/software and not to Actual Tools products. You are able to contact them on the following page - http://www.displaylink.com/aboutus/contact.php

1. Is there any other similar product that might do the job ? are there in the market other "Plug and play" converters/adapters just like this one ? any suggestions so I can contact the manufacturer checking the compatibility of their products before buying their items ?
Unfortunately, I don't know about other companies that produces "USB to VGA/HDMI etc." adapters.

2. After all this mess, my friend Pim, now I have a problem: the two 24" monitors which I have been using during several years, now are mirrored, they mirror each other and whatever I do in one is mirrored in the other one. What can I do to fix that ? I already tried "Restore system" to several previous points but nothing improves. I have detected that the system does not recognizes my actual Graphic Card anymore, that is probably the reason. Is there any way to make my pc recognice it ?
The "Win+P" hotkey combination toggles between the devices that receive video card's output. The default is computer monitor only. Other options are video projector only, both showing the same image and both showing a portion of a larger desktop.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/09/2015 16:04:00

Hello Antonio,

I searched the internet for your graphics card and it seems to be rather old and therefore may not support DisplayLink. First you should check whether you have installed the latest driver for that card. If that does not help IMO the best approach is to replace your graphics card by a newer one. It seems to me that you have a decent computer but an old graphics card. I think that the DisplayLink software will work with a newer card. You may also consider using both graphics cards simultaneously (if you have an extra slot available) and returning the Plugable adapter. Windows 7 allows for having more than 1 graphics card. That way you can also use 3 computers (or perhaps even more).

Another brand for USB graphics cards is Magic Control Technology Corp.. These are not widely know and maybe hard to find. But I honestly doubt whether it will work with your old graphics card. Be aware though that you cannot use DisplayLink and MCT drivers at the same time should you want to do so in the future (a limitation of Windows). That unfortunately prevented me from buying a very interesting KVM solution (the KVM cable uses MCT, but I do already have a DisplayLink adapter and a DisplayLink monitor).

Vasiliy was kind enough to answer your second question to me. And it also seems he has removed the double posts in the other sections. Thanks!

Best regards.

Antonio Machado

Posted: 02/09/2015 18:12:50

Hello my friends Vasiliy and Pim:

Thanks a lot for helping me. Here my answers and comments to your kind replies:

Antonio, we didn't receive emails from elavefenix@hotmail.com on the support@actualtools.com email address. What email address did you send your messages from?
I sent initially an e-mail to info@actualtools.com and next day I sent e-mails to support@actualtools.com and to sales@actualtools.com; all from elavefenix@hotmail.com

The problem is related to DisplayLink hardware/software and not to Actual Tools products. You are able to contact them on the following page - http://www.displaylink.com/aboutus/contact.php
Indeed, Vasiliy, since the beginning it looked like a software compatibility issue, not a problem related with the Actual Tools converter, about which I have read a lot of good reviews and excellent experiences. It is a pity I have to return this item, I'll look for a different solution, probably changing my Graphics Card.

The "Win+P" hotkey combination toggles between the devices that receive video card's output. The default is computer monitor only. Other options are video projector only, both showing the same image and both showing a portion of a larger desktop.
Vasiliy and when you say "Win+P" hotkey what do you mean ? I am afraid I have no idea what is that...

During several years I have been working perfectly well with my two monitors (without mirroring) and now after all this mess they are mirrored, I have been trying to fix that problem since "Control Panel" but I just don't find the way to restore my system to any point before all this happened. I tried several times "Restore System" but they continue mirroring and if that was not enough the appearece of my monitors also changed; they are "Wide screen" but still the letters and images and all the content in my screens look now elongated, large horizontally, that is another unexpected and undesired consequence of this bad experience. Is there any idea you might suggest me to try...?

Hello Antonio,

I searched the internet for your graphics card and it seems to be rather old and therefore may not support DisplayLink. First you should check whether you have installed the latest driver for that card. If that does not help IMO the best approach is to replace your graphics card by a newer one. It seems to me that you have a decent computer but an old graphics card. I think that the DisplayLink software will work with a newer card. You may also consider using both graphics cards simultaneously (if you have an extra slot available) and returning the Plugable adapter. Windows 7 allows for having more than 1 graphics card. That way you can also use 3 computers (or perhaps even more).
Hello Pim: I think you hit right in the nail, I think that is the root of all this troubles, I'll replace this Graphics Card for a new one.

Now I have a question for both of you my friends: I have no extra-slots, so I must stick with only one Graphics Card. Is there in the market one Graphics Card that supports three monitors ? I don't plan to add more monitors, I think I'll keep these three monitors forever. I use them only for browsing the Internet and a lot of Microsoft Word Documents. Not interested in games at all.

I remember once I heard something about a Graphics Card capable to handle three monitors but I can't find it on the Internet. Is there a manufacturer or model you might suggest me ?

Another brand for USB graphics cards is Magic Control Technology Corp.. These are not widely know and maybe hard to find. But I honestly doubt whether it will work with your old graphics card. Be aware though that you cannot use DisplayLink and MCT drivers at the same time should you want to do so in the future (a limitation of Windows). That unfortunately prevented me from buying a very interesting KVM solution (the KVM cable uses MCT, but I do already have a DisplayLink adapter and a DisplayLink monitor).
Thanks for that suggestion as an alternative, Pim, but I think after this experience I'll keep it in the traditional, old system of handling the monitors with a better Graphics Card than the one I have.

Looking forward to news from you my friends, specially about a Graphics Card that supports three monitors, please give some suggestions about it...

Greetings from New York,

Antonio Machado.
elavefenix@hotmail.com

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/09/2015 21:48:28

Antonio,

Vasiliy and when you say "Win+P" hotkey what do you mean ? I am afraid I have no idea what is that...

During several years I have been working perfectly well with my two monitors (without mirroring) and now after all this mess they are mirrored, I have been trying to fix that problem since "Control Panel" but I just don't find the way to restore my system to any point before all this happened. I tried several times "Restore System" but they continue mirroring and if that was not enough the appearece of my monitors also changed; they are "Wide screen" but still the letters and images and all the content in my screens look now elongated, large horizontally, that is another unexpected and undesired consequence of this bad experience. Is there any idea you might suggest me to try...?
- This is the standard Windows hotkey combination that switch your displays mode (Computer only, Duplicate, Extend or Projector only):
User added an image

The mode can be switched through the standard Screen Resolution window (the Multiple Displays option):
User added an image

I remember once I heard something about a Graphics Card capable to handle three monitors but I can't find it on the Internet. Is there a manufacturer or model you might suggest me ?
You are able to find many appropriate video cards using a search engine with "video cards that support 3 monitors simultaneously" keywords. Unfortunately, I can't advise a concrete model.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 02/09/2015 22:49:35

You are able to find many appropriate video cards using a search engine with "video cards that support 3 monitors simultaneously" keywords. Unfortunately, I can't advise a concrete model.
Unfortunately, neither can I. I usually only know about current graphics cards once I need one myself and start researching. That is not the case now. Like Vasiliy, my tip is also to search the internet and maybe ask questions in a hardware forum like tomshardware.com. One thing you should keep in mind though is that some graphics cards present 3 monitors as one to the computer. Maybe that should be past tense, because I do not know whether these cards are still around. I thought it was something like Matrox triple head. To be clear: that is probably something you do not want to buy, as it makes it more difficult to move windows between monitors and use other features of AWM/AMM.

Best regards.

Rick Workman

Posted: 04/10/2015 00:26:02

There are video cards that support more monitors. There was one that has been out for years but the name escapes me. They were very expensive at the time. I'm not sure if they are still available or not.

With a quick search, here is one that supports 6 monitors. It may be overkill but at the same time you have room for growth, if needed. All 6 video ports are mini display ports and it comes with adaptors, see the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129274

I also have a Display Link USB 2.0 Diamond adaptor and for my needs it works great. I just purchased the parts needed to set it up so I can switch the USB adaptor between all three computers. 20 bucks for the USB cables and a switchable USB hub. With two KVM's and the USB adaptor, I can be on any one of the computers and can monitor the other two at the same time, if needed. I won't be switching the USB adaptor all that much but it beats swapping the cables manually and besides the only downfall, is the width of the monitors changes and some of the windows will change accordingly but I can live with that for the convenience of having the capability of having all three monitors on any given system by pressing a couple of buttons.

Later,

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register