New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 20 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Extreme System Lag , My system runs VERY elowly when AMM is running » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14663

Dave Morton

Posted: 01/11/2015 03:58:07

After getting overly frustrated with all of the problems that I'm having with my computer that seem to be related to AMM, I decided to uninstall it and search for another solution that would fit my needs. Sadly, nothing else "ticks all the boxes" like AMM does, so I was at a bit of a loss, as AMM had spoiled me. Then I went looking through my downloads folder (I never delete old download files - I'm a bit of a pack-rat, that way :) ) and noticed an older version of AMM (5.1.1, in fact) and installed it. My registration code didn't work (of course) so I'm using the 30 day free trial, but so far I haven't had a single lag spike, and I've even re-installed Fences and ObjectDock, with no issues. I'll continue to monitor the system till the trial period runs out, and report back at that time. I wonder if I could get my registration code "downgraded" for version 5.1... Hmmm...

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/13/2015 11:42:40

Hello Dave,

Yes, we can provide you the registration code for 5.x versions of Actual Multiple Monitors. Please send a message to support@actualtools.com with a reference on this post.

Could you also check which exactly version of Actual Multiple Monitors the problem appeared in? I'd start the test with 8.03, 8.1 and 8.2 versions (the download section - http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/download/#8x ).

Best regards.

Dave Morton

Posted: 01/13/2015 11:58:05

Before I ask for a registration code for version 5.1.1 I'll give versions 8.0 and 8.1 a try, and see how they go. So far, though, I'm still not experiencing any lag spikes with version 5, so that's good news for me. Is there anything else I could do to try and isolate the problem? I would like to be as helpful as I can be to help with finding the problem so that it can be fixed in an upcoming version, but I'm unsure about how to provide any further information that could prove useful.

Dave Morton

Posted: 01/13/2015 12:17:52

Ok, that was odd. I went to the downloads page and clicked on the link for AMM version 8.0.3, downloaded the file, checked it for viruses, and ran it. After installing, I got a notification popup in my taskbar that AMM version 8.2.2 was successfully installed. o.0 huh? I verified the install file's version by right-clicking and viewing properties -> Details. Sure enough, it shows version 8.0.3, so where is the version 8.2.2 coming from? I had auto updates turned off in 5.1.1, and the install never asked about updating. {sigh!}

I'm going to perform a complete uninstall, including scrubbing the registry of all entries for AMM and Actual Tools, along with any CLSID and other related entries, then reboot and try again. If the install still comes back with version 8.2.2, then it's back to 5.1.1 till this gets figured out.

Dave Morton

Posted: 01/13/2015 12:38:24

Ok, here's the deal. I uninstalled AMM, rebooted, cleared out the registry manually of ALL entries related to the program (the uninstall process left a LOT of entries in there, BTW), rebooted again just to be thorough, and ran amm803.exe - The install script's usage agreement even stated that it was version 8.0.3. So far, so good. However, when I went to enter the registration code, I see "Actual Multiple Monitors 8.2.2", and the About window that pops up from the taskbar icon (info->about) says the same thing. {sigh!}

I guess it's back to 5.1.1 for now, so I'll send out that email request in a few minutes.

[edit]
Never mind. It seems that I neglected to do a complete folder search for AMM related directories. I found the updates folder with 8.2.2 in it, and removed it. Then I uninstalled and re-installed 8.0.3 and immediately disabled automatic updates, and the version is holding steady at 8.0.3, so I'll test it for a week, and see if the lag spikes come back. If not, I'll try 8.1 for another week, and see how it goes.
[/edit]

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/13/2015 14:02:51

Dave,

There was a bug with automatically updates in earlier 8.x versions.
This post could be helpful - http://actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=3211 .

I'm looking forward to hear about your results.

Dave Morton

Posted: 01/13/2015 14:16:17

Thanks for that. That's exactly what I did, in fact (well, the part about deleting the updates folder, at least). Let's see how version 8.0.3 goes. :)

Mark Squires

Posted: 09/08/2015 06:54:50

Dave, I'm seeing a similar issue on my machine with mirroring occasionally causing things to slow to a crawl which disappears if AWM mirroring is disabled. If its enabled after a few seconds all is well for a time then the issue restarts again. Can I ask if you ever got to the bottom of this one?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/09/2015 11:05:33

Mark,

Please specify your OS (version, 32 or 64-bit) and version of Actual Window Manager. Please also provide a more detailed description of "causing things to slow to a crawl" (CPU, Mem Usage, GDI objects etc.).

Mark Squires

Posted: 09/22/2015 03:39:55

Apologies for the delay, I think this is a continuing issue with an earlier thread I posted so I'm moving this conversation back to that location: http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=1&FID=10&TID=3658&sphrase_id=214830#nav_start

Messages 11 - 20 of 20
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register