New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 13 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM 8.2.2 affects launching of specific Apps , MAGIX Video Pro X6 and Magix Music Maker 2015 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 16041

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2014 08:57:54

Martin,

Sorry my suggestions haven't helped. Although I'm hoping that when the developers read this thread they will have a lot of information and you will have already walked through some of the steps they would have suggested, thereby getting you closer to a solution than otherwise would have occurred.

I'd send your configuration data to support@actualtools.com with a link to this thread so they know quickly what the problem is and you not having to repeat yourself.

It seems Video Pro X and MAGIX Music Maker are doing some like what liteCAM HD does at startup. The application always hangs during the splash screen processing. In my case I have developer tools and I can get into the window class names for hidden objects within an application and was able to resolve the problem for me. I think, at least in my case, that the splash screen window class doesn't allow title buttons and AWM "forcing" it in this window class causes an exception which isn't getting trapped and handled in a graceful way.

I'm going to download one of the apps at the link you gave and see if I get the same results and if I can quickly find a workaround for you.

Sincerely,
Lars

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2014 09:53:08

Martin,

I've tested Video_Pro_X.exe:

I'm able to get into the application beyond the splash screen at which point it goes into the o-zone and never returns when AWM is active. MAGIX software is MFC applications, my experience with AWM and MFC applications is frequently will have the behavior you are having. Each class name in an MFC application starts with "Afx" and whatever workaround I've crated is only as good as the current version of that software. I've experienced the suffix of the "Afx" window class changing, and hence, if you specify a specific Window Class which has a previx of "Afx" the AWM rule will be broken upon updating whatever MFC application associated by the AWM rule.

In my case, the MFC software I have installed, I've been very lucky as the support MFC/AFC applications and libraries have been very small and easy to identify the offending window class to exclude. MAGIX is extensive in the usage of their support applications/libraries.

MAGIX software is mostly 64-bit software with a mix of some 32-bit components.

I've been concerned AWM's ability to scan all associated applications and libraries fr om any root/parent application call is not as extensive as it needs to be. Example, if you create an exclusion for Video_Pro_X.exe then by definition ALL in-process (easy to do) and out-of-process (can be tricky) and all of their associated applications (in/out-of-process) and libraries, and so on need to be excluded, if not and there is just one offending window class which AWM has a conflict, then it can/will be extremely difficult to track down the cause of the exception. One possible solution would have AWM with the ability to record the entire path of window classes being executed/hooked and a method which shows at which window class doesn't return from processing and this would identify offending window class. This could actually be automated via a machine learning algorithm, if desired.

I'm guessing under Windows 8.1 different support libraries are being executed over Windows 7 (my environment) and why I'm getting past the splash screen and you are not.

I'll keep plugging away and see if I can get it to execute with AWM. It's interesting how on my system comes to a crawl with MAGIX and AWM. It's as if AWM is attempting to do some action of the offending window class in an endless loop which never catches itself with 1,000,000,000 attempts (my humor, should have a lim it of 5 or so, whatever would be appropriate) stop as there is a problem.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/18/2014 20:33:12

Thank you for your messages, guys.

Unfortunately the issue hasn't been solved yet.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Messages 11 - 13 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login