New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 12 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Desktop divider unexpected behavior » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8109

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 11/11/2014 14:26:42

UPD: Besides the last bug, the rest appear to be temporarily caused by Explorer crashing earlier in the session. As I describe AWM's behavior as if Explorer had crashed, well that's because it did and I forgot. I believe it crashing and restarting under different security context is a side effect of Kaspersky as a method of security hardening.

UPD 2: Confirmed, this was resolved (Screenshot) after a logout/login to restart Explorer manually. That wasn't the correct SID I picked out causing the issue, but didn't take a snapshot to compare to so have edited out that detail. It also wasn't High integrity or any of the individual privilige since I checked those first. However I was prevented me fr om restarting without a logout, even by impersonating the SYSTEM account for its elevated privileges which never, ever happened before Kaspersky.

On the other hand, the same result can be repeated without that specific cause, simply by using the following at an admin command prompt to restart Explorer as a High integrity process:

Code
taskkill /im explorer.exe /f & explorer

This is the wrong way to restart explorer since it now has my elevated token and its memory space is inaccessible to AWM. Still, some programs still do it, and I've seen Windows do it depending on the security context where the crash happens. So perhaps a warning that Explorer's is inaccessible would be merited, since we've all seen an occasional crash.

Also, I just started using Kaspersky yesterday so all of the bugs above this post, with Eyefinity enabled, still exist independently of this bit of incorrect reporting. I will update this post further if there is more to add.

More unexpected behavior when split up into individual monitors without Eyefinity enabled

Sceenshot of default desktop divider configuration screen
Screenshot of Windows configuration after pressing Identify

These bugs are present in the layout configuration shown in the first screenshot:

- The grid is split up incorrectly: the first separation is from 0 pixels to 2880 pixels (1.5 monitors), the second separation is from 2880 to 3840 (half a monitor) and the third is the remainder (full 3rd monitor)
- The Grid Division button on any of the 3 monitors does not work at all. No dialog pops up
- The division is invisible in the middle of monitor 2 but appears if trying to define the grid manually by splitting the area (by clicking the button lableed with a | character) and dragging by the newly-appeared separator into the invisible barrier at 1.5 monitors from the left (2880 pixels)
- Pressing Alt-Tab from this screen brings up the old Windows XP style Alt-Tab window instead of the native Alt-Tab by default, as if Explorer has crashed (I have the AWM Alt-Tab disabled in the Configuration)
- Selecting any of the gray area by the mouse button, only in monitors 2 and 3, shows the taskbar. Compared to this is the expected behavior present on monitor 1, wh ere selecting the gray area does not show the taskbar

The above are present in any DPI, and this one only above 96 dpi:

- The ActualWindowCenter64.exe component is reading the pixel count correctly but the ActualWindowManagerConfig.exe is showing blurry at the higher DPI. The support for high DPI is there so the executables need to declare true/pm support in the application manifest to prevent scaling. Example code (Microsoft.com)

Te last bug became apparent when I recently had to uninstall and reinstall (the same version) of my video card drivers. Previously I was forcing support through environment variables or registry entries and can do so again, but I expect it would be native especially since it appears to already exist in some components.

There are probably more so I will update the post as I come across them.

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 11/11/2014 23:10:47

So perhaps a warning that Explorer's is inaccessible would be merited, since we've all seen an occasional crash.
Agreed.

Sincerely,
Lars

Messages 11 - 12 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help