New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM > Desktop Divider > Hotkey Can't = None , Can't create "None" » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10971

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/14/2014 07:38:54

Under AWM > Desktop Divider > Tile Layout > Hotkey if you enable the checkbox for "Enable Hokey"

#1) Once a hotkey is created you cannot get it back to "None" for the key combinations.

#2) If you select only "Shift" it accepts this as the hotkey but will not result in activation of the Tile Layout. I haven't tested, but I suspect this could apply to the other special keys.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/14/2014 20:38:21

Dear Lars,

thank you for your post!

The modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Win, Shift) can't serve as hotkeys (key combinations) by themselves, it doesn't seem like a problem to me. Should it?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/15/2014 03:39:41

The modifier keys (Ctrl, Alt, Win, Shift) can't serve as hotkeys (key combinations) by themselves, it doesn't seem like a problem to me. Should it?
Under the current UI design they can be, as I've done it. Now the hotkey doesn't do anything, but as an end-user I get the impression it is valid as I get no warning or any feedback it isn't a valid value.

Further, you can create a hotkey such as SHIFT+1 and get no warning this combination hotkey will replace your ability to generate an "@" symbol, technically it's already allocated and therefore you shouldn't be able to create a hotkey for it.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/17/2014 16:52:56

Dear Lars,

thank you for your post.

As I can see, when you assign a hotkey for the first time, and when there is "None" value in the key field, if you mark any modifier key (e.g. Ctrl), you get a "Ctrl+" value in the Hotkey column. The hotkey won't work in this case, of course. I assume it's quite clear for a user that he or she hasn't finished assigning the hotkey and I think popping up a warning message isn't necessary in this case as no event actually happened. We're thankful for your intention to improve our product, we'll keep your comment in mind and see if any user reports the similar problem.

As for the Shift+... hotkeys - since they work okay, I think it mustn't be a problem as well.

Thank you!
Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/20/2014 05:50:55

As I can see, when you assign a hotkey for the first time, and when there is "None" value in the key field, if you mark any modifier key (e.g. Ctrl), you get a "Ctrl+" value in the Hotkey column. The hotkey won't work in this case, of course. I assume it's quite clear for a user that he or she hasn't finished assigning the hotkey and I think popping up a warning message isn't necessary in this case as no event actually happened. We're thankful for your intention to improve our product, we'll keep your comment in mind and see if any user reports the similar problem.
Is a hook created for invalid hotkeys? If not then why doesn't AWM return invalid or unfinished hotkey assignment = None upon saving? I don't have a personal interest in seeing a 'warning' message, but I would expect invalid/unfinished hotkey assignments to either be returned to a None value or the ability for the end-user to set as None again.

As for the Shift+... hotkeys - since they work okay, I think it mustn't be a problem as well.
What brought the Shift+... hotkey to my attention is the fact you can assign existing standard keyboard combinations which in my opinion shouldn't be allowed. I'm not sure why the end-user would be provided the capability to have the perception their keyboard isn't working. Are you indicating creating an AWM hotkey of SHIFT+1 still puts an output of "!" as I'm having the value consumed at my end.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/22/2014 09:03:45

Dear Lars,

thank you for your reply!

Now I can see how inconvenient it is to assign hotkeys like Shift+1. We'll consider correcting this.

We'll also consider replacing the "Ctrl+" values with something that clearly states that the hotkey wasn't assigned properly.

As for letting the user set the key back to "None" - please explain, what would someone need that for?

Best regards.

UPD: The hook is created, and it turns out that hotkeys like Ctrl+Alt work! We'll consider letting a user set a key back to "None". Sorry to mislead you!

UPD #2: To clear the hotkey box press any modifier key.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 11/02/2014 07:55:21

Now I can see how inconvenient it is to assign hotkeys like Shift+1. We'll consider correcting this.
I was running a quick test and entered this combination and later forgot to remove it. Later scratching my head wondering why my "!" was broken.

As for letting the user set the key back to "None" - please explain, what would someone need that for?
In all of the code I've reviewed over thirty years -- all cases where the key combination would be considered 'invalid' actually had keyboard hooks installed for them. Seriously, every case, and there have been several dozen independent code sets.

UPD #2: To clear the hotkey box press any modifier key.
What are you defining as 'any modifier'?

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/06/2014 10:33:01

Thank you for your reply, Lars!

What are you defining as 'any modifier'?
Shift, Alt, Ctrl or Win.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

aph
Advanced user

Posted: 11/07/2014 08:27:51

I prefer to retain the freedom to assign arbitrary hotkeys over the one Windows supports natively (meaning when they are assigned to program shortcuts, that are placed on the desktop or pinned to the taskbar/start menu.)

The standard Windows behavior in the shortcut properties panel is to clear the key combination when backspace is pressed, but again I think it's better to allow hotkeys with backspace.

So perhaps the most user friendly solution is to add a "Clear" button after the non-modifier key input box, which replicates the functionality of pressing a modifier key in that input box.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 11/07/2014 19:40:06

Thank you for your post, Aph!

We'll keep in mind your point about Shift-hotkeys.

And we will consider this feature request:
So perhaps the most user friendly solution is to add a "Clear" button after the non-modifier key input box, which replicates the functionality of pressing a modifier key in that input box.

Best regards!

support@actualtools.com

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login