New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «UAC to specific monitor & position , UAC » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11577

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 08/14/2014 19:09:24

Is there anyway for AWM or another method to FORCE the Windows UAC to a specific monitor and/or position (as in where the mouse pointer is located)?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 08/15/2014 20:49:29

Hello, Zardoz2293! Thank you for the question!

Unfortunately, there is no way to apply any rules to UAC windows. Those windows seem to be unreachable for Actual Window Manager.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 08/15/2014 22:20:11

Thanks for the information Alexander.

I'd like to pass a bit of information to you and if you have any ideas or feedback, I'd like to hear it. I use True Launch Bar (TLB) which provides great features for docking menus, and more on the Taskbar as well as having another Taskbar on secondary monitors. I have a two monitor system, UAC set to maximum, and the Taskbar(s) are docked at the top of the screen. OS is Windows 7 64-bit all patches/updates installed.

Perhaps 94 percent of the time the UAC is displayed in the center of the screen on monitor #1 (primary), the other perhaps 3 percent of the time the UAC will appear either centered in the application which caused the UAC event or UAC will be displayed right next to the Windows Start (top-left) button. The remaining UAC events (about 3 percent) appear on monitor #2 (secondary), perhaps half are centered within the screen and the balance is again displayed next to the Windows Start (top-left).

My conclusion is it is possible to route the UAC to a specific monitor or screen position based on the above behavior, if it wasn't then I'd expect to see it always appear on monitor #1 centered within the screen.

In the "ideal" I'd think the UAC would always appear centered-middle on whatever monitor has the mouse pointer as I'd expect that would mean your eyes are focused at that location.

I realize if there isn't adequate documentation on the UAC and its behavior then it could take a herculean effort to solve the mystery.

What do you think?

Sincerely,
Lars

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/10/2014 00:36:21

Alexander,

Unfortunately, there is no way to apply any rules to UAC windows. Those windows seem to be unreachable for Actual Window Manager.
I'd like to report I'm able to get the UAC to display on the monitor of my choice using AWM. I am now able to have the UAC appear exactly where I would want and expect it to appear. The reason why it appears AWM cannot control the location of where the UAC is displayed is directly related to the "Default Settings" (herein DS) and "Specific Settings" (herein SS) inheritance methodology. In short when end-users create a SS rule causing the window placement to a specific monitor and DS is enabled and also having specific monitor window placement which is different than any SS window placement settings, a UAC event which is generated in that context, will appear as the UAC is being placed 'random' or not in a predictable location.

I haven't checked all of the UAC combinations based on AWM SS but I'm getting all of them working as expected, except for one instance. I believe this one anomaly I've thus found is directly related to the DS.Size glitch I've reported in other threads.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Lars

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/10/2014 20:28:26

Dear Lars,

I've been trying all the possible ways of reproducing the issue that could ever come to my mind and haven't succeded with it yet.

Please provide me with the directions with as many details as possible.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/11/2014 00:24:32

Alexander,

I've been trying all the possible ways of reproducing the issue that could ever come to my mind and haven't succeded with it yet.

Please provide me with the directions with as many details as possible.
Okay. I realize I keep harping on the "Default Settings" (DS) and there is good reason for it. AWM has significant behavior changes which go way beyond what and end-user would believe would occur. My point is I'm discovering if DS is disabled then lots of functionality at a low level is lost and you as an end-user you have no idea this is occurring (the documentation doesn't discuss). Example: DS must be enabled and have Position = Having mouse pointer (assuming of course you want the UAE to be displayed on the monitor where the mouse pointer is and as I would expect your visual point of focus.) If DS is disabled then the UAE behavior will appear to be inconsistent as it appears individual Position attributes for each Specific Setting (SS) is being utilized (I haven't done extensive testing). In my case and in my opinion I always want the UAE on the monitor (and frankly having it middle-centered) on the application which caused the UAE event.

Now it is possible when DS is disabled and the UAE appears to get displayed randomly that the SS Position may not work as the implementation on who the SS Position code is executed may in fact be significantly different than in the DS area. I don't know, as I don't have the code and I haven't performed significant testing. I just know I've found what appears to be a predicable method to get the desired behavior I require.

Alexander, please keep in mind that the AWM configuration file I sent yesterday is very close to what I'm using, BUT I'm frequently enabling and disabling the DS as I've discovered many behavior changes occur based on its status (even when deselecting all of the user defined definable values).

Did this answer your question? Can you reproduce?

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Lars

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/13/2014 18:02:45

Thank you, Lars. I'm still unable to reproduce.

Please tell me, how exactly you invoke the UAC dialog.

In the abbreviation UAE what does "E" stand for?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/14/2014 01:18:17

In the abbreviation UAE what does "E" stand for?
Mistake on my part, should be UAC.

Please tell me, how exactly you invoke the UAC dialog.
I don't understand. Are you asking me how to invoke UAC in general, any specific UAC, or how I'm able to currently get the UAC to display (almost) every time on the desired monitor (being any of the active monitors) -- a consistent behavior.

Sincerely,
Lars

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 10/14/2014 17:34:13

Thank you for your reply, Lars!

The thing is - I haven't yet managed to get my UAC-dialogs on any monitor that is not primary. Nor have I ever seen any of my actions and configurations having any impact on UAC dialog windows behavior. So I'm asking you to provide me with any details that would help me reproduce the issue.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Zardoz2293
Advanced user

Posted: 10/14/2014 17:38:46

Alexander,

The thing is - I haven't yet managed to get my UAC-dialogs on any monitor that is not primary. Nor have I ever seen any of my actions and configurations having any impact on UAC dialog windows behavior. So I'm asking you to provide me with any details that would help me reproduce the issue.
I'll create a video this week and send it to support@actualtools.com

Is there an email size limit?

BTW, What video card are you using and the drivers?

I'm using EVGA GeForce GTX 480, drivers v344.11

Sincerely,
Lars

Messages 1 - 10 of 13
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help