Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM casing Firefox to crash or enter CPU loop at 50 tabs or so , I have FINALLY found what has been causing Firefox to crash at 50 tabs » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3905

Jim Fraley

Posted: 04/29/2014 08:22:01

For months I have banging my head against the wall attempting to discover WHAT has been causing Firefox to either crash outright or enter a CPU "burn" loop and become unresponsive when I have approximately 50 tabs open. FINALLY I noticed Firefox was behaving normally (not crashing or "burning") and the AWM buttons were not present on the title bar. When I looked in the System Tray, the AWM icon was not present. I verified it was not running by checking Task Manager. "Gee, that's odd," I thought. I added Firefox to the excluded window list and now it behaves like normal. I now have 88 open tabs and the CPU load is normal.

I am not sure with which version of AWM or Firefox this problem began. I can confirm that EXCLUDING Firefox 28.0 from AWM 8.1.4 prevents the crash and CPU "burn" problem.

What can I do to help you identify and correct this conflict?

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 04/29/2014 21:19:08

Hello, Jim!

Am I correct in understanding that by 'crash outright' you mean that Firefox gets closed by Windows system right after displaying a notification with something like 'Firefox has crashed and will now be closed'?

Please specify your Windows version and its bitness (32 or 64).

Also, a screenshot of CPU-sorted Processes Tab of Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc in Windows 7) while in CPU "burn" loop would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your cooperation!
Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Jim Fraley

Posted: 04/30/2014 04:21:10

Thanks Alexander,

My apologies for omitting the Windows information.

Microsoft Windows
Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

By crash, I mean either Firefox detected the crash and presented the "Crash Reporter" to allow me to submit the crash info to Mozilla, or Windows presented the "Application is not responding" dialog asking if I want to wait or close the application.

As luck would have it, Firefox updated itself last night to version 29.0 with the new Australis UI (which I hate). I will do some testing and report back with the results.

Jim Fraley

Posted: 07/03/2014 06:54:22

OK, I am currently using Firefox 30.0 with AIM 8.1.4 and things are still working better than before. I am able to open more than 50 tabs, but Firefox still crashes frequently and goes into a "runaway" state on occasion. At this point, I believe the issue is Adobe Flash. It seems that the problems show up when Flash has been used to view videos.

I will keep testing and let you know if I can find anything else.

Thanks for your support!

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 07/04/2014 13:55:41

Jim, thank you for your effort!

Could you please try using Firefox for some time with Actual Window Manager unloaded to check if the crashes and "not responding" state are caused or triggered by Actual Window Manager?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Jim Fraley

Posted: 01/13/2015 07:16:02

Update: With the current AWM and Firefox versions, I can routinely have 100 tabs open again without issue. It would be nice if I could say for sure what changed that resolved this issue, but I cannot.

At this point in time, I consider the issue resolved.

Thank you for your help!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register