Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Stay on top glitch in Outlook XP , Message window 'pinned' on top doesn't stay on top » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8042

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/13/2007 13:50:38

I can 'pin' a message window in front of the mail outlook window and use the functions 'behind' the message window to, for example change folders, look at the calendar, etc. But if I right-click to open an outlook modal dialogue box (e.g. Automatic formatting), it removes the stay-on-top of the message window.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/14/2007 05:46:28

Hello David,

Could you please test such feature at your machine. First of all you should create a specific rule for the message window, after that Startup/Stay on top, click "Always" or "As before" and the most important thing: click "Freeze". Please don`t forget to inform us about the results. Thank you in advance

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/15/2007 03:41:57

OK, mixed results. I'll try and make this clear...

I created a specific rule from the email I got from subscribing to this thread - so the title of the rule was "www.ActualTools.com: [F] Stay on top glitch in Outlook XP : Technical Support - Message (Plain Text)", windows class "rctrl_renwnd32". I went to Startup and ticked Always and Freeze as instructed. When I clicked 'save', the main Outlook window and the message window went to 'stay on top' with the pin icon pushed in. Using a modal dialogue now brings the outlook main window to the top of the pile, and because its 'stay on top', I can't get the message on top of it again! I'm not sure why creating the specific rule from the message window affected the main outlook window too...

However, I played around a bit and found that choosing 'Leave as is' and 'Freeze' prevents the message window losing its 'stay-on-top' status when a dialogue box is opened, so that's a reasonable enough workaround.

I guess my only concern is why the main outlook window was affected by the rule? And if I subsequently change anything else in the rule for the message window, what other unintended effects might it have on the main window?

Cheers,

Dave.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/15/2007 03:45:19

Sorry - should have realised that the window caption part of the rule was not enabled by default. I guess the main outlook window is the same class which is why it too was affected.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/21/2007 05:28:07

Right you are David

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help