Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Menu sizing glitch » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2254

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2013 05:23:58

AWM sometimes has a "glitch" where it resizes a program's menus (like File, Edit, View, etc.), often making the menu suddenly huge and taking up a large portion of the screen.

For example, with a program I use called "Everything" Search -- if I click any of the menus, the normal menu will appear normally for a second, but then the menu will suddenly resize and fill up most of the screen. Sometimes it fills the screen with the default gray-colored menu, but other times it's just a big white box.

This has happened with a couple programs before, but "Everything" is the only one I can recall in recent memory. I seem to remember "Sublime Text 2" also having the problem. The only way I've found to prevent it is to add "Everything" to AWM's exclusion list.

It appears that AWM is resizing the menus like they are their own program. I've tried to go through AWM's program list to find some sort of specific system-level "program" or function which perhaps inadvertently has a "resize on startup" option set, but I can't find anything.

Additionally, it appears that AWM is resizing the menu based on the "previous" menu opened. If I move the mouse cursor quickly back and forth between two menus, the current menu open will be resized according to the last menu opened.

Any ideas?

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2013 05:27:04

Aha! Found out what's happening -- the "dynamic" menu sizing gave a big clue.

This is happening because of the feature "Save size on exit" for "Everything Search". After disabling it, the menus no longer resize massively.

However, the menus are now "floating" in different places. So I disabled the function "Save position on exit", and the problem went away.

So it seems that AWM is seeing any open menus as unique/individual/separate windows of the program.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 11/18/2013 05:33:22

Aha! I've pinpointed the "issue" even further. It appears that it's technically not an issue after all.

I've set the individual AWM settings "Everything Search" to target the program "\Everything.exe", with no other targeting information. So I guess that's why it's resizing any new "window" of Everything, even if it's just a menu or sub-menu.

So I guess I'll need to add a targeting specific of a window-class, as well.

I've gotten away without doing this for some other programs, where I only use the program's .exe for targeting -- like Cyberfox.exe -- and it doesn't cause the same menu-resizing issue. I'm just curious why it would be okay with one program, but not another. Perhaps Cyberfox's menus are using OS-functions so they don't appear as new "windows", whereas "Everything" opens menus in a way that makes them appear like they're new windows?

Anyway, just a bit of curiosity. Regardless, I'll just find a specific window-class to target for "Everything Search" so it doesn't have its menus re-sized and re-positioned.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register