Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Can no longer switch to windows by taskbar keyboard shortcut » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2743

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 11/04/2013 04:06:54

In Windows 7, there's an ability to switch to an open window via keyboard shortcut according to its location on the taskbar, by pressing winkey-# (of particular taskbar icon placement).

For example, if I have a Notepad open and it's the first icon on the taskbar (furthest left), if I were to press winKey-1 on the keyboard, that particular Notepad window would be switched to. And if Firefox was the third icon, pressing winKey-3 would switch to Firefox (or open it if it wasn't already running).

Two minor issues:

1.) Currently, pressing the winKey-# shortcuts only (and always) opens a new instance of the respective program on the taskbar. So if I keep pressing winKey-1, it will continue opening new instances of Notepad

2.) The arrangement of winKey-shortcuts to taskbar icons doesn't line up correctly. It seems that this shortcut is based on the actual Windows-7 taskbar, and not AWM's replacement taskbar. So to rearrange the ordering of the icons (and thus, the shortcuts), you have to disable AWM's taskbar, rearrange the icons on the Windows-7 taskbar, and then reenable AWM's taskbars.

Could we have the default Windows-7 behavior fixed so that winKey-# first tries switching to the respective program icon/window, and then if it's not open, it opens a new instance of it?

The ability to open new instances of programs via these shortcuts is handy, but it would be helpful if "forced"-new window instances happened by an alternative shortcut, like winKey-Shift-#, much like the behavior of shift-clicking on a taskbar icon opens a new instance of the program/window.

And finally -- and this part should probably be in the features request section, but I'll add it here to condense -- if there are than two windows open of the same program, could we get a feature that switches between them when their winKey-# is pressed? (...and then if an extra new instance of that program is needed, the user could add the Shift-key).

So if I have two Notepads open, and Notepad is the 2nd icon on the taskbar -- pressing winKey-2 switches to the first Notepad, pressing winKey-2 switches to the other open Notepad, and pressing winKey-Shift-2 opens a third Notepad window.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/11/2013 16:47:30

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the post.

1.) Currently, pressing the winKey-# shortcuts only (and always) opens a new instance of the respective program on the taskbar. So if I keep pressing winKey-1, it will continue opening new instances of Notepad

2.) The arrangement of winKey-shortcuts to taskbar icons doesn't line up correctly. It seems that this shortcut is based on the actual Windows-7 taskbar, and not AWM's replacement taskbar. So to rearrange the ordering of the icons (and thus, the shortcuts), you have to disable AWM's taskbar, rearrange the icons on the Windows-7 taskbar, and then reenable AWM's taskbars.
- These issues have been confirmed. We'll try to fix them.

And finally -- and this part should probably be in the features request section, but I'll add it here to condense -- if there are than two windows open of the same program, could we get a feature that switches between them when their winKey-# is pressed? (...and then if an extra new instance of that program is needed, the user could add the Shift-key).

So if I have two Notepads open, and Notepad is the 2nd icon on the taskbar -- pressing winKey-2 switches to the first Notepad, pressing winKey-2 switches to the other open Notepad, and pressing winKey-Shift-2 opens a third Notepad window.
- We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register