Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Start menu glitching » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9308

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/19/2013 15:59:31

A couple issues I've seen across AWM versions that I now believe are connected:

1.) Pressing CTRL-Escape doesn't properly open the Start menu like it does in Windows. Instead, there's a very brief flash of the Start menu before it disappears completely, and window-focus seems to jump back and forth between the flashed Start menu and any open window. Additionally, the entire taskbar "flashes" (I'm using the AWM-replacement taskbar on all monitors).

2.) (more troublesome) When pressing the Windows-key on the keyboard to open the start menu, the appearance of the Start menu causes the program window I was viewing to close and disappear. This only happens with some program windows, but not others -- e.g., "Everything" (search) windows, Windows 7 property windows, message/notification pop-ups, etc. I finally determined what the cause is -- essentially, the "Escape" key being is being "pressed"!

I found a correlation between the windows that close and the windows that don't -- the windows that get closed are normally closeable by pressing the Escape key (e.g., an "Everything" search window, property/dialog boxes in Windows 7 "Device Manager", etc.).

This causes a lot of grief -- I often have to remember to "switch away" from an escapable window if I want to open the Start menu from my keyboard -- otherwise, I'll lose whatever I'm working on.

Please help.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/22/2013 20:40:28

Hi Steve,

Sadly, we were not able to reproduce the issue. Specify please does the issue occur always and does it take place from the very start of the program?

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Stephen Cook

Posted: 10/23/2013 05:14:12

Hello Steve and Alex,

I registered for the forum just for this issue because I am having it also in Windows 8.1 with Actual Multiple Monitors 8.0.3

Steve's description is almost exactly correct:

When a window in Desktop view is selected and I press the Win key or CTRL + ESC, either the window loses focus (no Start menu) or the window is closed. The windows that close are ones that (like Steve said) would close if ESC was pressed. The windows that don't close are desktop programs maximized over the desktop like Office and web browser, and instead these windows lose focus.

If I click the new Windows 8.1 start button (or the start button on the second monitor taskbar created by AMM) then I can use the Win key to go back and forth between the Start menu and the desktop.

If I am in a "Metro" (or Modern, whatever) app and press Win key it seems to do almost the same function as switching to the last open app or program, but there is a moment where the app goes away, comes back, and then I am at the desktop.

Weird

I also get the flickering that Steve mentioned when I use CTRL + ESC, but only after I click the Start button first.

My guess is that this has something to do with Hotkeys or AMM's Start menu settings or something.

Please let me know what else I can do to help you guys at AMM solve this.

I have loved AMM and want to continue using it in Windows 8.1 but I have to be able to press Win key to bring up Start no matter what program I am in.

Stephen Cook

Posted: 10/23/2013 05:20:40

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST:

I just found this forum topic:
Ctrl-Esc and Win Key do not raise

After closing AMM and killing the processes, then restarting AMM, the Start menu seems to be working properly again using the Win Key.

Weird.

I don't know if this means that the issue is solved or if it might come back again. I will update as I keep using AMM in Win 8.1

Thanks!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 10/29/2013 07:49:37

Hmm, the issue is still happening on mine (I'm running 8.1 Beta).

CTRL-Esc doesn't properly bring up the Start menu. When pressed, focus gets taken away from the top window, and then focus rapidly jumps back and forth between that top window and some "invisible" window, and I see a quick flash of the Start menu, but not fully. It's like it's being repressed.

But what's even more troublesome is that whenever I press the windows-key to open the Start menu, it basically sends an "Escape" command to any window that I'm currently viewing. This tediously causes property/dialog boxes and a handful of various program windows to close (for example, "Everything"-search windows close because of the Escape-key).

And then further, a minor annoyance with this is that even though the Start menu does open when pressing the windows-key, focus still rapidly jumps between the window I'm viewing and some invisible window -- thus, it takes about 1-2 seconds for the Start menu to actually open while this focus-"jumping" happens.

EDIT:

After some testing just now, if I click on the start-bar and then press the win-key to open the Start menu, the menu opens, and then if I press the win-key again without switching focus to any other window -- the Start menu opens quickly and immediately, with no focus "jumping".

I'm not sure what's causing the "delay" to open the Start menu when focus is in a program window (this happens across various programs and Windows folders).

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/30/2013 18:51:03

Hello gentlemen,

CTRL-Esc doesn't properly bring up the Start menu. When pressed, focus gets taken away from the top window, and then focus rapidly jumps back and forth between that top window and some "invisible" window, and I see a quick flash of the Start menu, but not fully. It's like it's being repressed.
- This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it.

But what's even more troublesome is that whenever I press the windows-key to open the Start menu, it basically sends an "Escape" command to any window that I'm currently viewing. This tediously causes property/dialog boxes and a handful of various program windows to close (for example, "Everything"-search windows close because of the Escape-key).

And then further, a minor annoyance with this is that even though the Start menu does open when pressing the windows-key, focus still rapidly jumps between the window I'm viewing and some invisible window -- thus, it takes about 1-2 seconds for the Start menu to actually open while this focus-"jumping" happens.
- Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce these problems. Could you send me your configuration files (Actual Window Manager -> Tools -> Configuration -> Send to Tech Support)? Could you also specify your antivirus and firewall systems and 3rd party software?

Stephen Cook

Posted: 10/30/2013 23:31:59

Hi All,

I'm going to bow out of this topic as the issue no longer seems to happen for me.

Actual Multiple Monitors 8.0.3; Windows 8.1 licensed release; Start8 and Modern Mix (from Stardock);

It is possible that having Start8 installed made this no longer an issue, but I think it had not come back since the last reboot I did.

I will return if the problem does!

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/01/2013 13:11:36

Hi again guys,

Steve, try please rebooting the computer. Will this solve the issue like in Stephen's case?

Stephen, could you please tell me if the problem appeared again during these two days?

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Stephen Cook

Posted: 11/02/2013 07:21:19

Hi Alex,

I have not experienced the issue again.

Thanks for your help!

Etp

Posted: 11/04/2013 14:05:34

Hello.

I have AMM 8.0 and have experienced recently the same problems as described on this page:
1. Pressing Windows key not opening Start Menu, instead it blinks but disappears --> This on the screen for which the AMM toolbar does not replace Windows Toolbar.
2. Pressing Windows key on my second monitor which uses AMM toolbar opens start menu correctly, but also closes the window I was on (for Skype conversation or AMM Configuration window for example). It may be because an escape button is pressed in this case, closing the windows.

I have followed an advice given by someone on this page which was to completely close AMM and kill the processes, then open it again, and those problems seem to be fixed temporarily.

Would an administrator like to view a backup of my configuration?

Thanks,

Etpi

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login