Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Actual Window Manager 8.0.3 CPU hog on network file copy , ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe hogs one core up » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 4781

Alex

Posted: 09/15/2013 13:18:57

I have detected an abnormal activity within Actual Window Manager (registered).

Windows 8 x64, using FAR Manager 3.0 to copy files via SMB (Windows network file sharing) over 1Gb link. When I start copying large files on gigabit speed, Explorer becomes unresponsive, and ActualWindowManagerShellCenter64.exe process is taking up to 20-25% of CPU (one core of 4 core CPU is utilized at 100%).

Stopping copy operation reduces CPU usage to normal after some time passes and Explorer becomes responsive again. Time for CPU usage to cease surely depends on amount of traffic passed (copied file size). Killing/exiting AWM immediately makes Explorer responsive and reduces CPU usage.

It seems AWM has something to do with the shell copy operation. This is probably some kind of shell copy support bug inside AWM in combination with FAR Manager way of accessing this operation. Copying same files via Explorer does not cause excessive CPU usage.

How can I help detecting source of this abnormality and fixing it?

P.S. No third party antivirus/firewall/etc. installed. The problem is 100% linked with AWM running.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/19/2013 15:38:40

Hello Alex

I was unable to reproduce the issue.

What version of FAR are you running - 32 or 64-bit?

Is the option Use system copy routine of FAR enabled (Options > System Settings > Use system copy routine)? Could you change its value and check whether it solves the problem?

Is the Windows option Launch folder windows in a separate process enabled (Windows Explorer > View > Options > Change folder and search options > View tab > Launch folder windows in a separate process)? Could you change its value and check whether it solves the problem?

Best regards.

Alex

Posted: 10/20/2013 01:01:15

Both x86 and x86-64 versions of FAR exhibit the behavior.
Unticking "use system copy routine" remedies the problem completely (as expected, because shell is not involved anymore).
Uninstalling Window Manager remedies the problem too.
Launching folders in separate process is disabled, enabling it does not affect the problem.
I found that only network-to-network copying is affected, disk-to-network and network-to-disk copying do not reproduce the problem. It probably has to do something with data/request buffering.

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/20/2013 19:32:06

Good day gentlemen,

Alex,could you please download beta version of AWM 8.1( http://www.actualtools.com/beta/ ) and tell me if you are still encountering the issue

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register