Login
Register

Messages 21 - 30 of 69
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last 

Topic: «License Expired? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 45287

Casey Hayes

Posted: 09/26/2014 00:46:59

Dave La wrote:
How can I roll back to the previous paid version? I didn't realize I was deactivating Actual Windows Manager by allowing it to upgrade. (Previous versions are not restorable from Win7 restore points in my case).

Agreed, I wasn't aware that letting AMM update would deactivate it. How can I roll back to the previous version that I paid for?

Edit: a bit more info.

I get this message regarding my license, so why am I told I'll get free updates, but then I'm told my license has expired?

Dear Casey Hayes!

You have bought Actual Multiple Monitors of version 8.0 or later.

According to Actual Tools Upgrade Policy, your Free Updates Subscription is valid until September 15, 2015 so that you can install the latest version freely.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/26/2014 01:34:47

Hello David La and Casey Hayes,

How can I roll back to the previous paid version?
Just install the old version on top of the new version. That should work. If you need the old installation file: in the Downloads section you can find an archive of older installation files. In case the program automatically updates to the latest version again, switch off the auto-updates under Options > Check for updates. Should you still get auto-updates, then the instructions in the first post of this thread should be useful.

I get this message regarding my license, so why am I told I'll get free updates, but then I'm told my license has expired?

Dear Casey Hayes!

You have bought Actual Multiple Monitors of version 8.0 or later.

According to Actual Tools Upgrade Policy, your Free Updates Subscription is valid until September 15, 2015 so that you can install the latest version freely.
You get one year of free updates after your purchase. Is your quote a literal quote from the program when you try to update it?

Best regards

Casey Hayes

Posted: 09/26/2014 01:43:42

Yes, that's the exact quote (copied/pasted) that I get when I clicked Update. I purchased a license in the 8.0 family, so I was under the impression that I would not have to purchase any updates for anything in that family.

doc wizz

Posted: 09/26/2014 01:55:34

Bait and switch ransomware.
No where on their order page does it say it is a yearly license.
Even the UULA does not mention anything about yearly license. Only place I see that mentions a yearly license is the FAQ.
I never renewed since I was baited and switched in Aug 2013. Cracked version works fine.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/26/2014 01:59:02

As stated the license is valid for a year after your purchase. This new license policy was introduced with version 8.0 (read What's New and scroll down to version 8.0 (this license change is the same for all Actual Tools products)).

Do I understand correctly that you purchased AMM September 15, 2014 (thus very recently) and you after updating you get a message stating that the license is expired?

Casey Hayes

Posted: 09/26/2014 02:10:29

I even received a confirmation email with the following
Here is your new registration data for Actual Multiple Monitors 8.0 (it's valid for all versions of Actual Multiple Monitors of line 8.x):

So you're saying the only place the annual license is mentioned is in the update notes -- not the EULA, purchase agreement, confirmation emails, etc. This is intentionally misleading.

Dave La

Posted: 09/26/2014 02:13:47

• Deleted the Win7 64 Updates folder from C:\ProgramData\Actual Tools\Actual Window Manager
    • Got old version from http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/download/#archive
    • Installed old version on top of the new version
    • Switched off auto-updates under Options > Check for updates
Works fine for now. Thanks for all the help!

> Note that Prompt before updating to a paid version is a box checked by default if you leave auto-check for updates on

QUESTION: How do I know Unsubscribe from new topic messages? The box is checked and grayed out.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/26/2014 02:15:53

Bait and switch ransomware.

Ransomware is something very different. AMM/AWM is far fr om ransomware. Is your computer taken hostage? No? Then it is not ransomware!

No where on their order page does it say it is a yearly license.
You have a good point here. I suggest Actual Tools to add this information somewh ere more prominently. I think they forgot to think about it when they changed the license policy last year. I trust that Actual Tools will add this information on the order page soon, when they read this, because they usually are pretty fast with picking up these things.
When I buy software I usually look for update/upgrade information and I can tell you there are quite a number of software publishers who do not clearly state the upgrade policy, sometimes I even have to ask for it. Again, knowing Actual Tools a little bit as a frequent contributor on the forums, I think this was just an accidental omission.

Even the UULA does not mention anything about yearly license.
A EULA does not have to (but may) include upgrade information. From a legal perspective the EULA is valid for the current version one is using and in that sense it does not have to include information about future upgrades/updates.

Cracked version works fine.
This I resent very, very much. Do you know that there are people working full-time on making this software for a living? By using a cracked version you are stealing from them. How would you feel if I steal part of your income because I just feel like having your income for free? IMO this sentence should be removed.

Dave La

Posted: 09/26/2014 02:17:56

Never mind, from http://www.actualtools.com/forum/subscr_list.php?ID=2633&ACTION=DEL I deleted subscription. (But now I can't edit my other message).

I believe from reading in various places that ActualTools does not intend this to be a "dark pattern" that attempts to auto-remove money from our pockets, but they need to do a yet better job of preventing these problems. This is a utility to increase my efficiency, and the time wasted fixing this cost me a lot of the time that I'm supposed to be saving here :(

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/26/2014 02:27:53

@Casey Hayes: I am still curious at what date you bought AMM...

Here is your new registration data for Actual Multiple Monitors 8.0 (it's valid for all versions of Actual Multiple Monitors of line 8.x)
I suggest that you e-mail them (support@actualtools.com) and explain your situation. I think that they forgot to change the e-mail.

This is intentionally misleading.
I do not think it is. As explained in an earlier post I wrote it does not necessarily need to be in the EULA. One should always check the upgrade policy, because it is different for every software company is my experience. I understand you are a bit disappointed, but apparently you assumed that a license included free minor updates. As I wrote in my post dated August 17, 2103 in this thread, more and more software companies are switching to this kind of license.
I do however agree that the upgrade policy should be made more clear (or I must have missed something).

Messages 21 - 30 of 69
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register