Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Glitching taskbars » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 2896

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 05/02/2013 05:36:25

I'm not sure what's causing this, but occasionally, the AWM taskbar on one of my monitor's will "break". I'm currently using three monitors, and have them each set with AWM taskbars, each monitor having its own individual taskbar.

Sometimes the taskbar will go missing like this, as if it's been permanently "downsized":

User added an image

I try to resize the taskbar, but it won't. I try to click and drag it to another side of the monitor, but nothing budges. I click to "unhide" all taskbars within AWM, but nothing changes.

When I press the Window-key, the Start Menu will pop up, but the taskbar still won't be there, nor will the Windows-orb.

Any ideas?

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 05/02/2013 21:10:17

I should also note --

Another oddity with the taskbars is that when monitors are turned off for the night and then turned back on the next day, sometimes a monitor's taskbar will be massive, stretched out across half the screen.

When this happens, it's an easy fix to shrink it back down to a single row, but a minor annoyance, nonetheless. And perhaps having something to do with the glitching/"missing" taskbar issue.

Thanks Bogdan!

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/14/2013 13:11:44

Hello Steve

What version of AWM are you running?

What OS are you running (version, 32 or 64-bit)?

What actions lead to this? Are you able to reproduce the issue?

How often does it happen?

Does it happen always on the same monitor?

Could you send us the screenshot of the Monitors Layout and Settings tab and point the monitor the problem happens with?

About the second problem - does it happen with the same monitor the first problem happens with?

Best regards.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 05/14/2013 15:23:52

AWM 7.5.1
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

It usually happens in the morning when I'm turning my three monitors back on -- the primary monitor will have the downsized taskbar. I speculate it has to do with using individual AWM taskbars for each monitor, each having its own individual taskbar settings.

When I have my HDTV turned on, which outputs as a third monitor fr om the audio receiver (which is fed by HDMI fr om my 7950 gpu), I have it set for the taskbar to auto-hide, because it's a plasma HDTV and I don't want the taskbar to burn in. When I have the HDTV on, I enable the AWM Desktop Profile which designates it as the primary monitor.

But in the morning when I turn my two LCD monitors back on (but not yet the HDTV), the taskbar on the primary LCD monitor is now downsized and acting unusual. My guess is that this is happening from the switchover of one of two things:

1. Individual taskbar settings getting forcibly applied to another monitor, like when there are suddenly only two monitors, with the LCD monitor now being the primary (perhaps AWM isn't "refreshing" its determination of whose taskbar belongs to which monitor specifically, especially when some of the monitors are turned off and Windows reconfigures the displays.

and/or,

2. The Desktop Profiles subsystem getting mixed up with losing/gaining monitors, and having to forcibly "cross-apply" the current Desktop Profile settings, but now with one less (or one extra) monitor.

I haven't been able to reproduce the effect wh ere the taskbar is permanently stuck in auto-hided minimization. The taskbar is still getting resized oddly -- whether auto-hiding and downsized when on my LCD (which is how it's usually set on the HDTV), or going the opposite way, wh ere when I turn on the HDTV monitor, it receives a taskbar that is stretched out across half the screen -- perhaps a matter of getting the 1920x1200 monitor's taskbar forcibly applied onto the 1920x1080 HDTV.

Anyway, thankfully I've lately been able to just manually resize and reset the taskbars, either downsizing the taskbar on the HDTV and resetting it to auto-hide, or expanding the taskbar on the LCD monitor and setting it to not auto-hide anymore.

I'll keep an eye out in order to try and narrow down the problem a bit better, and hopefully explain it a bit more clearly. But lately, I've been able to fix the problem by manually reconfiguring the individual taskbars when this happens -- and it happens when monitors are turned off/on that cause Windows to reconfigure/reset the primary monitor.

Another note -- these issues only happen between the two monitors that are set as the primary monitor in differing Desktop Profiles. In one profile, the HDTV is the primary, and in the other profile, the LCD is the primary. In lieu of this, my third monitor -- a DVI-connected LCD -- never has any problems with its taskbar. I'd suspect this is due to some confusion with the jumbling and switching of primary/secondary monitors when some are turned off or on.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/16/2013 13:09:23

How exactly do you switch on/off the monitors?

As i understand you have two desktop profiles - one where the LCD is primary. Is the TV disabled in this profile? And other where the TV is primary.

What profile is enabled when you switch off the monitors for the night and then switch on in the morning?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register