New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Stay on Top Hell , Windows from multiple applications stay on top without request » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10433

Bruce Temple

Posted: 03/15/2013 13:37:39

This is my second installation of Actual Window Manager on a Win7 64 bit system (Ultimate) [This has happend on both] [This is also the 3rd version of AWM that I have installed since I have been installing updates] - I am continuously having a problem with windows without my setting or selecting the option of setting themselves to allways be on top. How to I disable this forever. I have even tried to turn off all shortcuts and icons which could cause this. I never will have any need to do this and the fact that this is happening is really anoying. I am fairly sure at this point that AWN is responsible for this. Please please please provide a solution.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/16/2013 04:07:48

Hello Bruce,

I have been experiencing similar problems for quite a while now. Does my experience appear to be similar to yours? I know from experience how frustrating it can be to have windows spontaneously setting themselves as Stay on top. If you can confirm what I wrote, at least I am not the only one anymore  :)  But then the issue remains being able to reproduce it, so it can be solved  :|

Which version of AWM do you have installed? (a standard question I know Bogdan from Actual Tools will certainly ask ;) )

Best regards.

Bruce Temple

Posted: 03/16/2013 07:25:03

Hi Pim thanks for the reply.

The current version is 7.4.3 although the problem has been happening since I installed my first version 7.3. The occurrences seem to be random and seem to occur for almost every program that I use. I have turned off all of the title bar buttons and disabled hot keys to try to get it to stop, but no joy. Reproducing it is easy, just keep using the computer. Being able to tell which window will be the next to stay on top is impossible since it seems to be random. Since I have close to 37 years experience on computers I am fairly sure that I am not accidentally initiating this behavior.

Bruce Temple

Posted: 03/16/2013 07:51:39

I guess I should also include the environment. I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a 16 GB Dell Precision M6600 with (including the laptop screen) 3 monitors. This actually my second install of AWM to this system as it came from the factory. I lost the hard disk 2 weeks ago and reinstalled everything from the backup as it came from the factory. The stay on top problem has been present for both installs.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/17/2013 07:22:04

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. It sounds indeed that you are experiencing the same problem as I do: all programs can be affected but it is very difficult (nearly impossible) to trigger it. I am certain that this issue did not occur with older versions of AWM, but I do not know with which version it started.

FYI Bogdan (Actual Tools): I currently have AWM 7.5 beta 2 installed, but have not noticed the issue yet on this version. That does not mean anything however, because I have only been using the latest beta less than 2 days. I know for certain that the issue did occur in 7.5 beta 1. I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Because Bruce experiences the issue on Win 7 64-bit, the issue does not seem to be related to a particular OS or bit version.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/27/2013 23:31:13

Hello Gentlemen

Can you confirm that the issue still persists with the latest AWM version 7.5?

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/29/2013 12:46:05

Hello Bogdan,

Yes, unfortunately this issue still occurs with AWM 7.5 final.

Best regards.

Bruce Temple

Posted: 04/02/2013 07:04:49

Yes it still exist. I just ran into one of the most annoying of it's tricks. That is that the window stays on top when it has a dialog box that must be responded to in order to continue. If the dialog box is completely covered then the only way out that I know of is the kill the app. If can get the task manager where I can see it then it's just kill the app. I have had to reboot.
This of course is happening with the with the apps that I am currently using the most. (IE, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, Excel, Farstone Virtual Drive Pro, Roxio and Windows Virtual PC)

Bruce

Bruce Temple

Posted: 04/02/2013 07:05:40

I have installed 7.5

Bruce Temple

Posted: 04/02/2013 07:41:32

Hi Bogdan,

After thinking about the most recent occurrence, it has a low active app count so I will describe the active apps. Windows explorer was active but minimized, Password safe was an active window and IE was the active window that I was working in. IE had 3 tabs and I had just placed an internet order. I then used cntl-P to print the order summary to Adobe Acrobat. The print dialog came up behind IE and fortunately a piece of it was showing. It would not come to the top but I was able to drag it to another screen to use it.

Hope that helps.

Bruce

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login