Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «"Support system utilities" Install Option Not Working , Can't get AWM to work with pgms. run as admin. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3974

Dan C

Posted: 02/21/2013 12:03:48

I just downloaded and installed the trial version of AWM 7.4.3.  I am trying it out because I have a competing product that does not handle programs I have to run "as administrator."  I installed from my Administrator account and selected the "support system utilities" option.  The install went fine, but I am unable to see AWM handling any windows running "as administrator" when I am logged in to my regular user account.

I ran MSConfig to check startup items and it says ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe is run from HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, but I do not see the entry when I look in the registry using regedit.  I'm confused as to how I get AWM to handle programs run from my regular user account that have to be run "as administrator."  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/25/2013 00:01:05

Hello Dan

The fact is when you're logged in to your regular user account AWM and the programs that you run as administrator are run as different users and AWM processes only the programs that run under the same user as AWM. The only way to get AWM work with programs that you run as admin in this case is to run the AWM as admin or even run two instances of AWM (one as usual and one as admin) to make it work with all programs, but maybe you'll have to disable some features such as taskbars in one instance.

Best regards.

Dan C

Posted: 02/27/2013 09:51:38

Bogdan,

Thanks for the reply.  I never thought of running two instances of AWM.  How would I do this without the two instances conflicting with each other?  Would the "administrative" instance of AWM control the "run as administrator" programs and the regular user instance control programs running without elevated privileges?  I know that the windows management features of Windows itself works across any windows I have opened, even if they are being run "as administrator."  Is there a technical reason why add-on window managers such as AWM do not have a service that starts up with Windows that could control all windows, no matter which user account was used to start the program?

I suppose another interesting question is why certain application software insists on being run as administrator.  I have a suspicion that it might be "sloppy" Windows programming that has not yet updated the software to use the \Local User\AppData directory structure.

-Dan

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/28/2013 01:57:52

Hello Dan

Would the "administrative" instance of AWM control the "run as administrator" programs and the regular user instance control programs running without elevated privileges?
Yes, they will, but as i said, it is better to leave some features such as taskbars and others enabled in only one instance to prevent the duplication.

What windows management features of Windows are you talking about?

What applications have you noticed that insists on being run as administrator?

Best regards.

Dan C

Posted: 02/28/2013 09:32:00

Bogdan,

The windows management features of Windows I was thinking about are the hot key combinations to move a Window to either the next or previous monitor.  On my system Windows Key + Shift + Right Cursor key combination moves the window with focus to the next monitor and Windows Key + Shift + Left Cursor key combination movers the window with focus to the previous monitor.  This works for both programs run under my regular user account and for programs started with "run as administrator."

Two programs that require "run as administrator" (or least this is the way they run after installation) are ones I use all day long.  They are TradeStation 9.1 release 13 and TD Ameritrade's Think or Swim Thinkdesktop.  TradeStation appears to be a Visual C++ application and Thinkdesktop is a 100% Java application that comes with its own install of Java 6.  Both run as 32 bit applications on my 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional.

-Dan

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/01/2013 01:42:35

Hello Dan

Our program can't process the programs that are run as different user because of the Operational Systems limitations. These limitations are made on security purposes. The system-integrated window management actions work for all windows simply because they're system integrated.

Two programs that require "run as administrator" are just made this way and have sort of system-utility-status, because the developer for some reason decided to make it so.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register