New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 18 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM 7.4.1 causes High CPU usage in Explorer.exe » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12343

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/11/2013 21:49:02

Could you send us the configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool?

Best regards.

Craig Bradshaw

Posted: 02/16/2013 07:24:41

I have done this Bogdan...any help greatly appreciated.  I'm using a competing product currently but I'd prefer AWM to work properly!

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 02/16/2013 20:11:34

Could it be a driver/hooking issue?

Try right-clicking the AWM taskbar icon, and then stopping/disabling AWM functionality, but not exiting out of AWM. Does it still occur?

Another guess would be that AWM's hooking mechanism is colliding with other Windows/Explorer extensions. Perhaps viewing and temporarily disabling other shell extensions might help determine if there's a collision happening somewhere.

Try this program to see all of your extensions, and then sort the list by manufacturer, to find all the non-Microsoft extensions. Then try disabling and restarting, one by one (restarting the AWM running service, but also rebooting your computer between each one, unfortunately).

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Another possibility is anti-virus software collision. In my opinion, it's important to set an exclusion for scanning the AWM program and drivers. With the complexity and difficulty of the task that AWM has to so quickly hook all of the integration and functionality within Windows, I imagine it would be best to not have an anti-virus/anti-malware app interfering with AWM with scanning.

I set my anti-virus/malware to exclude AWM from scans (folders/programs/drivers).

And finally, try exiting out and disabling any programs that are currently running, -including- anti-virus/malware software. You should probably try this step first. Make sure everything is closed, including programs/icons that are running in the bottom right taskbar tray (right-click and exit each). Then see if the problem is still occurring.

It's all about narrowing down the list of variables to determine what the problem is.

EDIT: Another critical step to take is running Windows Update and making sure all updates and fixes have been installed. Also update your drivers, especially your video card's driver. Simple things to do, but can have big bonuses and effects (overall, not just with AWM).

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Craig Bradshaw

Posted: 02/17/2013 08:50:54

I have tried all of what you suggested.

However I have found exactly what I believe to be the cause.

As this seems to occur on ANY window I'm moving it must be related to either a setting within Windows/AWM or a driver.

I uninstalled Catalyst drivers completely, and this issue still remained.

I then slowly unticked and ticked each "Visual Effect" setting within Windows 7 and it seems the setting that, when turned off resolves this issue, is the "Show window contents whilst dragging" setting.

Hopefully this will help you determine whether there is a setting within AWM that I need to tweak or whether there is a bug in AWM itself?

I certainly don't have this issue with the setting on and AWM turned off.

Hope this helps:

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/17/2013 22:37:13

Hello Craig

Could you return to your old settings and check whether disabling of the "Display current window position while moving manually" (Options > Align) solves the problem?

Best regards.

Craig Bradshaw

Posted: 02/18/2013 07:50:08

Hi,

Disabling that setting helps, but the CPU for the application in question still moves up to around 15%.  With the Visual Effect disabled I only get about 5% hit.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/26/2013 02:21:35

Hello Craig

Try to disable the following features if you have them enabled:
- Desktop Divider
- Transparency (while moving and others)
- Mouse > Drag and Scroll - all options
- Options > Snapping

Check whether these options influence the CPU usage.

Best regards.

Craig Bradshaw

Posted: 02/26/2013 04:25:41

Bogdan - thanks for your help on this, but I'm not sure removing some of the most helpful feature (snapping) is the way forward.  It's obvious that when I have the Visual Effect ticked in windows to show contents while moving a window, AWM flies out of control.  If I keep the same settings, but disable AWM, all is fine.

Messages 11 - 18 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register