Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AMM Disable/Enable Secondary Monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6763

Frank Gump

Posted: 02/03/2013 22:30:53

I'm using two monitors connected to my PC via DVI cables and am using the latest version of Actual Multiple Monitors v5.0.2 on Win7 x64.

I have setup a hotkey to disable my secondary monitor. When I use it both my primary and secondary go blank for a few seconds - then my primary comes back on and the following happens:

1). Whatever applications were open on the secondary monitor move over to the primary.
2). All the icons on the secondary move over to the primary monitor

Once I re-enable the secondary monitor - nothing moves back over!  The apps and icons are now on the primary monitor.  I do NOT want this behavior.  I want to leave everything on the secondary even though it's disabled/off.  Also it would be great if my primary monitor did not go dark when toggling the secondary.

I just want to toggle the secondary screen on/off and do not want anything to move over to the primary when it goes off.  Is there a setting for this somewhere?  If there isn't, would it please be possible to have this feature added into a future release?  Also I'd prefer to use the same hotkey to toggle (enable/disable) the secondary monitor - like CTRL+ALT+D.  Am I allowed to use duplicate hotkeys in AMM.  Currently I have to have a specific hotkey for each.  Again, this would be a nice enhancement if not available.  Thank you very much for your time.

Kindest Regards,

Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/04/2013 00:27:44

Hello Frank.

The issue with the desktop icons which don't go back to their places has been confirmed.

We'll try to fix it.

We'll consider your requests about monitor disabling and the single hotkey for toggling monitors.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/04/2013 02:12:55

Could you also try to disable the Actual Multiple Monitors and check whether the icons go back to the secondary if you disable the secondary via the standard Windows settings?

Also you can use the Save/Restore desktop icons order (desktop context menu item).

Frank Gump

Posted: 02/05/2013 19:17:42

Thank you Bogdan.  I have disabled AMM and used the standard Windows method to disable the secondary monitor (WinKey+P).  It too moves any open windows and icons over to the primary monitor.  However, when I re-enable the secondary monitor, it moves the icons back to the secondary, but leaves the windows on the primary.  Using the Save/Restore desktop icons order in AMM did not help - it still left all the icons on the primary monitor.  I also noticed that when the secondary is disabled with AMM, and the icons are moved to the primary, my primary monitor icons are re-arrange in such a way that some are pushed past the taskbar at the bottom of the screen (half viewable on the screen).  Both my screens are the same and use the same resolution.

I tried a program called UltraMon, which also works with multiple monitors, and it works 50% correctly.  It uses the same enable/disable hotkey for the secondary monitor.  Unfortunately it too moves the apps & icons over to the primary, but when re-enabling the secondary it moves everything back to the secondary monitor!  It must remember which windows were open and, if still open when the secondary is activated, it puts them back.  Perhaps this could be an option of AMM depending on how the user wants it to act.  I'm glad you confirmed the icon bug and am hoping you will please consider adding this other functionality to a future version of AMM.  No other program compares to what you have!

If you'd like me to test anything else, please let me know.

Kindest Regards,

Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/11/2013 22:25:33

Hello Frank.

Do you mean you've saved the proper icons order for the two-monitors setup, then disabled/enabled secondary, tried to save the icons order and none of the icons changed their position?

Best regards.

Frank Gump

Posted: 02/12/2013 07:10:51

I selected "Save desktop icons order" and then I disabled my secondary monitor.  All the icons from the secondary moved over to the primary monitor.  I then re-enabled the secondary monitor and the icons did not move back.  I did not click on "Restore desktop icons order" as I didn't think this should be necessary when re-enabling the secondary.  Are the icons supposed to move back automatically when the positions are saved?  Or does these need to be done manually each time?  I really don't want to have to do this manually, especially if my icons change now and then and I don't update/save their positions in AMM.

Best Regards,

Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/12/2013 23:29:10

Actually, the icons should go back by themselves, but there is some problem with AMM - it prevents them from going back - so for now, as workaround you can use the Restore the icons order feature, but yes, you have to activate the Restore function manually each time.

Best regards.

Frank Gump

Posted: 02/14/2013 12:33:57

Thank you very much Bogdan.  :)

I hope that the other features that I mentioned above might be added to a future release!!  It'd really make AMM that much more powerful!  I hope you please consider them.

Kindest Regards,

Nelson

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register