New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 17 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Ribbon Lock-up After AWM 7.4.1 Upgrade , Ribbon freezes after 7.4.1 upgrade » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11080

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/25/2013 23:53:30

Hello Ray

You didn't tell about mouse not responding.

Could you give me a screenshot showing what window area become unresponsive?

Does it matter what section of the File tab you open?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/26/2013 00:11:45

What version of MS Office are you running - 32-bit or 64-bit?

Could you also try to completely exclude one of the application from AWM processing (add to the exclusion list and leave matching the target window only to the "Program" criterion) and check whether it helps?

Ray Emerson

Posted: 02/26/2013 06:57:36

Bogdan -
 Screenshot attached. It is the FLUENT API component of every window, including the Ribbon, quick launch toolbar, minimize/maximize/close buttons, context menu (icon top left in title bar object), window dragging and re-sizing via title bar or window frame. All components within the window frame still function, including task panes and add-ins.

Any switch to any component of the Backstage View causes the issue, including using keyboard accelerators that switch to this view (e.g., CTRL+P).

MS Office 2010 32-bit on Win 7 x64.

Exclusion behavior varied. For example, Excel responded correctly as soon as I applied the rule. The Word process needed to be killed, but functioned correctly on re-launch. Outlook completely crashed, but also functions normally on re-launch. In general, however, the exclusion (eventually) allowed the window to function correctly with AWM started.

So it looks like there's a workaround, which I appreciate. However, I'm interested in pursuing a fix, since my options are (1) to disable AWM on all applications using the Ribbon, or (2) to wait until I see the interface freeze after switching to Backstage View, kill the application, re-launch, then set the exclusion.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/27/2013 04:23:40

I can see that the appearance of your Outlook differs from the standard one. How did you change it?

Best regards.

Ray Emerson

Posted: 02/27/2013 07:19:09

Bogdan -
 These are just add-ins, which have been supported by MS for quite some time. The Ribbon interface changed the interpretation (viz., tabs and icon groupings, rather than menus).

However, whether or not the add-ins are loaded has no effect on this issue (see attached, Excel_Normal and Excel_Safe_Mode). Loading in Safe Mode, without any additional add-ins loaded, gives the same behavior.

Also, I see in certain programs that multiple title bars are generated at (seemingly) random points on my display. See attached Multi_Title_Buttons screenshot.

I can't seem to attach more than on file, <100kb, to this ticket. Please review screenshots at the following links.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx97fUrHcHeXWDFMdEdsb2U2SFU/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx97fUrHcHeXLWk3Nkp1aWtFa0E/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx97fUrHcHeXTDlvYTBNVEd2N1E/edit?usp=sharing

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/28/2013 23:56:35

Ray, have you tried to return to the previous version that doesn't create this problem?

Have you upgraded to the 7.4.1 from the 7.4 version? Could you install it now and check whether the problem persists?

Are you running any third-party window management software?

Best regards.

Ray Emerson

Posted: 03/01/2013 06:15:37

Bogdan -
 I've incrementally re-installed back as far as 7.2, which was the version installed before this issue began. Seems to work correctly, without the exceptions enabled.

AWM is the only windows management software I have installed.

Thank you.

Messages 11 - 17 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register