New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Desktop Profile and Nvidia Surround Problem » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14796

J F

Posted: 08/07/2012 19:18:35

I have 4 monitors and switch back and forth between Nvidia Surround (for gaming) and regular non-surround(for everything else). Upon turning surround on and off, the layout of my monitors in windows is never what I had set it to before turning surround on, and usually the layout is wrong (e.g. a monitor that should be on the left is acting like it's on the right).

I had hoped to make this problem a little better by using AMM's desktop profiles feature. Specifically, I set up a profile that contained (on the desktop profiles page, monitors and layout settings tab) the correct monitor layout and assigned a hot-key to it. My plan was to hit the hot-key after turning surround off, and thus get the correct monitor layout with a single key press. Unfortunately, however, the layout stored int he profile disappears whenever I turn surround on. If I keep surround off, I can use the hot key to set my monitors into the correct layout, even if I have manually set up another layout. I can also see that the layout is shown/stored correctly on the desktop profiles page->monitors layout and settings tab. As soon as I turn on surround, though, the monitor layout I had saved in the profile disappears from the dekstop profiles page->monitors layout and settings tab. When I say disappear, I mean that there is nothing but the gray background on the tab - there are no numbered boxes representing monitors.

Anyone have an idea as to what's going on? I think surround may completely disconnect and then reconnect (logically, not physically) the monitors, so does AMM lose its layout setting if the monitors are temporarily disconnected?

Thanks!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/13/2012 21:56:50

Hello J F.

What OS (version, 32 or 64-bit) are you running?

What exactly version of AMM are you running?

Does the monitors layout changes after you switching between Nvidia Surround when AMM is launched or it happens when AMM isn't launched at all?

Best regards.

J F

Posted: 08/17/2012 10:27:10

Hi Bogdan -

Windows 7, 64-bit. AMM 4.1.

Monitor layout change occurs if I'm switching with AMM launched. I generally always want to keep AMM on because I have 4 monitors, so even with 3 of them tied up in surround, I still want AMM to manage the two virtual displays (i.e. one real display, and 3 displays linked as a single virtual display).

Thanks,
Jeff

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/22/2012 01:53:17

Hello Jeff.

Does the layout changes on enabling/disabling Nvidia Surround when AMM isn't launched?

Please send us your configuration files using the "Send to Tech Support" tool while Nvidia surround is enabled.

Best regards.

J F

Posted: 09/08/2012 16:07:30

Hi Bogdan -

I apologize for not getting back to you for so long, but I did as you asked (switch between Nvidia surround and non-surround without AMM running) and the layout of the monitors still gets messed up after coming back to non-surround from surround. So the mix-up isn't AMMs fault, but I'd like to be able to use AMM to restore the correct monitor layout. But as I said, AMM seems to loose any layouts I save on the Desktop Profiles page.

Interestingly, I can switch from non-surround to surround, and look at the Desktop Profile page, and see that the profile I had created is still there. It only disappears after going from surround back to non-surround.

I should clarify and say that the when I say the profile disappears, the profile entry is still there, it's the Monitors Layout and Settings part of it that disappears.

I'm going to send you three AMM configurations. One when in non-surround; this configuration will have a desktop profile in it. Then I'll switch to surround, and send you another configuration file. Finally, I'll switch back to non-surround and send you a third configuration.

Thanks!
Jeff

J F

Posted: 09/08/2012 16:34:31

Bogdan -

While trying to create the configuration file dumps that I said I'd send, I discovered that if I leave AMM's configuration tool open while switching between surround and non-surround or vice-versa, the monitor layout for the desktop profile I'd created doesn't disappear. I verified this several times; configuration tool open, the layout persists; configuration tool closed, the layout disappears as soon as I switch from non-surround to surround or from surround back to non surround. (I know I said above that the layout didn't disappear when switching from non-surround to surround, but the reason it didn't disappear is that I had AMM's config tool open).

The good news is that when the layout doesn't disappear, it does exactly what I want it to: it restores the correct layout of my monitors after switching back to non-surround from surround.

Is there an email address I can manually send the config file dumps to? I haven't had much luck getting AMM to play nice with gmail...

Thanks,
Jeff

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/18/2012 04:07:27

Hello J F.

You can send the files manually to support@actualtools.com. Please make a note in your message describing what problem this message is related to.

Do you mean layout persists when the configuration tab is open. Did you try what happens when other tab are open, not configuration or desktop profiles?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/15/2012 23:31:07

Hello J F.

Actually we need to see the monitors.log - file that comes with configuration files zip archive. Could you send configs to us manually? Are you able to save configuration files archive while trying to use the "Send to Tech Support"?
Also you can get the monitors.log file from the temp directory (enter %temp% into address). It is refreshed every time you press "Send to Tech Support" thus you can make two exemplars - before and after switching to nvidia surround.

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 11/16/2012 13:16:40

Save you guys all some time...

http://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=2050&MID=8750&sphrase_id=71961#message8750

Same issue I've had opened for months.  It's an issue with the way the new 300 series drivers are handling system hooks.  I've had a live session with a developer and was unable to help as nobody has the required hardware to duplicate the issue to resolve.

As you can see from my last posts in that thread I've been waiting months for an answer or resolution to the problem.  At this point, until they purchase a new Nvidia card and 3 monitors to do 2D surround, we're out of luck.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/19/2012 01:59:16

Hello gentlemen.

Chris, I'm afraid this problem quite differs from yours, so please stop to confuse people.

J F, have you tried to activate the profile (with the hotkey and with the buttons) even after the pictures of monitors in the profile tab disappeared? Have you tried to enable the profile with the hotkey without even launching the configuration tool after switching nvidia surround on and off?

Was you able to confuse two configs (AMM-LayoutPresentBeforeSwitchingToSurround.zip and AMM-MissingLayoutAfterSwitchingToSurround.zip) when renaming? Because the first was created earlier according to the "modified" time?

By the way, some files in the configurations differ (has been modified). For example MultiMonitorSettings.ini. It shouldn't be modified, if you don't change anything in the configuration and press the apply or ok. So could you give me the thorough description of your actions while making these backups? It will be even better if you'll create the same backups and send us one more time, but being very attentive, describing every step.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 14
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register