Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Restrict placement OR full screen? , Controlling the ever-changing mess of the Skype interface... » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3622

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/10/2012 04:43:23

Beating Skype into submission is an interesting challenge when they keep reinventing its interface. Not withstanding the internal visual layouts, the way they use windows seems to change regularly too, which makes keeping a good AWM configuration fun too :)

I had it how I like it until recently, when Skype in their wisdom decided to use the same window for chat conversations AND video - before, they used a separate window for video, which meant I could easily achieve what I want, namely:

• Chat conversations restricted to 575px on the right-hand edge of the primary monitor
  • Video conversations able to go to full screen

Now, if I set Restrict Placement on the skype chat window, video is restricted to that size too. What I'm wondering is, is there a way to configure a fixed 'Restored' size, and still have 'Maximised' as an option? That would allow me to go back to using Restrict Placement to keep the windows where I want them.

Interestingly, 'Align at startup' still doesn't seem to work 100% of the time with skype chat windows. It seems they open in fairly random positions (although the 'Resize' at startup DOES work all the time).

If it can't be done right now, would be be possible to add a 'Allow full screen' tickbox to the Restrict placement sections?

Many thanks,

David.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/13/2012 04:18:00

Hello David.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get it.

Is it necessary for you to use the restrict placement? Doesn't the align and the resize at startup suit your needs?

If you use the restrict placement to avoid of manually resizing of Skype, you can achieve it by removing resizable frame (at the bottom of the Startup tab).

Also you can add the "restrict placement" item to the Skype system menu (Window menu tab), which will let you easily manage the restriction (but first you need to enable the restrict placement option).

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/13/2012 11:12:34

Align and resize would be OK, if only they worked. Skype seems to override those settings and put the window back where it feels like it, unless restrict is in place. That's what I'm living with at the moment, and I can re-apply the settings to jump it back to where it should be. But it's a pain.

Could that 'allow fullscreen' when restrict is in place be added to the feature requests? I can imagine a number of other uses for that - e.g. several document windows open, where it only makes sense to actually work in them full-screen, but nice to have a tiled set of 'thumbnails' they'd jump back to, etc...

Thanks,

David.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/16/2012 03:21:06

Hello David.

So what about the adding the "restrict placement" item to the Skype system menu? It would let you disable the restriction and make Skype fullscreen when you want to and then bring the restriction back.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 07/19/2012 08:17:20

Hi,

Yes, that works (although I have all commands in the system menu already).

It would even better if:

• Ideally, maximise could be made an option, even with restrict in place
  • There was a title button to toggle Restrict
  • I could define a hotkey to toggle restrict

Maybe one of the last two are possible, but I couldn't see how - any ideas?

Thanks,

David.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/19/2012 22:35:34

Hello David.

Unfortunately, for now there is no other way to toggle the "Restrict placement".

We'll consider your request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register