Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Software conflict: Eudora , Eudora shuts down immediately » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10971

herbfr Frenkel

Posted: 10/21/2006 22:24:30

Eudora (email software) v. 7.1.0.9.  

Unless Eudora is set as an "Excluded Window", it will crash immediately after starting up.

Problem easily "corrected" by making Eudora's main window an "Excluded Window" but I'd hoped to use AWM to set Eudora to open on my 2nd monitor.  With the window excluded, Move-to-Monitor hotkey also doesn't work.

- Herb

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/30/2006 08:48:57

Herb, thanks for the report. The bug is confirmed, and we will try to fix it in the near future.

John MacDonald

Posted: 11/15/2006 18:39:55

Sadly, herbfr Frenkel, the fix you mentioned does not work for me.  ATB simply ignores the fact that Eudora is in the "Excluded Window" list, not all the time, but the majority of the time, and so I get the same problem of it quitting even after entering it in that list.  Also, at least on my system, it conflicts with Yahoo! Widgets (crashes the Widgets when you try to move them) and StarDock ObjectDock (causes the Dock to blank out part of the desktop when it's activated).  ATB is a nice program, but I think it's quite unacceptable for a program this mature in its development to have so many conflicts.  Sloppy programming.  Probably, sadly, evidence of so many software companies out there today to make a fast buck, and not caring about nice, careful programming.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/15/2006 22:42:32

Sadly, herbfr Frenkel, the fix you mentioned does not work for me.

It's because you didn't read the documentation carefully. Here you can learn that ATB selects the specific rule first if present. So you was need to disable the specific Eudora-related rule and then create the exclusion for it.

As for your blames of incompetence, I suppose you hardly imagine the tremendous number of currently existing Windows applications and their wide variety in quality, behavior and peculiarities. Therefore we are simply unable to test our programs with every known Windows application. As soon as our users report us about bugs we try to fix them. The exclusions mechanism was created exactly for temporary solving the conflicts, and I believe all the three mentioned issues can be solved by creating the exclusions for the conflicting programs.

The Eudora issue also can be solved by disabling ALL the title buttons in its specific rule (including the special grouping button).

John MacDonald

Posted: 11/16/2006 23:05:28

You know, after reading my post again, I realize I am out of line.  I'm sorry.  There is a lot of work to what you do, and you replied very quickly to my other reports of problems and posted solutions which actually seem to work.  It's not all that many software companies that have forums that are actually read by their technical staff, so that is a very good thing.

The ATB enhancement is actually very well designed, which is why I paid to buy a copy.  Keep up the good work, and keep on listening to your users.  And I hope the apology is accepted.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/17/2006 02:04:54

Well, let's forget about it. We are always listening to our users because you are exactly the ones who really help us to get our software better. So please keep to inform us further about any bugs, problems or suggestions you have regarding our programs. Thanks!

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/17/2006 02:06:26

Did you fix the Eudora issue as I suggested above (not with an exlusion but by removing all extra title buttons)?

John MacDonald

Posted: 11/20/2006 23:53:40

Actually, I've gone back to version 3.8 for now.  I was starting to have all sorts of problems with my Windows system (strange hangs, slight pauses in program execution, and other stuff) and I decided to downgrade to an older version.  I can't be sure that ATB is actually the cause, as I use quite a few windows enhancement tools, but my system is running much more smoothly now, so I'll just make do with the reduced feature set and wait until an updated version of the product is released.  Thanks for asking, though,

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/29/2006 09:36:09

Well, after some tests and investigation work, I have to admit that the Eudora issue is still present, and we are currently unable to fix it without some cooperation from Eudora technical staff. But it's rather difficult to contact them because they provide no direct e-mail address for an arbitrary e-mails. The single address which is available can be accessed only by users who has paid for the tech support.

So please if anyone of Eudora users can provide any help in establishing a connection with the Eudora developers then this help would be much appreciated.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 02/21/2007 06:45:46

The mentioned issue seems to be fixed in the recently released beta 2 of Actual Window Manager 4.4. Please check it out.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register