New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AWM /TLB Combination Crashes Explorer , Conflict involves Tool Tips » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 32602

David Tong

Posted: 10/15/2006 09:57:58

I found the following incompatibility between AWM version 4.2 and True Launch Bar version 4.1 (http://www.truelaunchbar.com/).  

The Problem
-----------
Explorer sometimes freezes when tool tips appear as I move the mouse cursor over items in a True Launch Bar toolbar.  When it happens, the tooltip freezes with the outline half-finished and before any text is written into it.

Each time, events 1000, 1001, and 1002 appear in Event Viewer/Application. A typical entry for Event 1000 is 'Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2945, fault address 0x00012a5b.'

Three Solutions
---------------
I've found three ways to stop Explorer crashing:

1. Leave Tips activated in TLB, but close AWM.
2. Leave AWM running, but de-activate Tips in TLB.
3. Set AWM to ignore windows with class 'CPPTooltip' for program 'explorer.exe'.

It looks as if AWM and TLB conflict with other in a way that occasionally causes Explorer to crash when TLB displays a Tip.

To Demonstrate the Bug
----------------------
1. Have both TLB and AWM installed and running.
2. Make a pop-up toolbar in TLB with plenty of entries that produce tooltips.
3. Move the mouse cursor back and forth over the toolbar entries to make the Tips flash on and off. (Yes, it's boring ':)').
4. Explorer then crashes at random intervals, but on average about once per four minutes.

I've also documented the effect at http://forum.tsoftcentral.com/viewtopic.php?p=12698.  It was Yuri Kobets at TLB who suggested the solution of excluding CPPTooltips in AWM.  

David Tong.
(Registered user of AWM and TLB)  

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/16/2006 06:36:23

David, thanks for such a detailed report! Unfortunately, we have just checked this issue here, and no bugs appeared, despite the fact we acted exactly as you suggested. I have asked you in a letter, and now ask here: do you run any other Windows extensions along with AWM and TLB? Thanks.

David Tong

Posted: 10/16/2006 12:06:57

Once I included CPPTooltip in the exclusions list for Explorer.exe, the problem with TLB tool tips disappeared so the problem is now only academic.

It's not so easy to demonstrate it because you have to open a large number of tooltips before you get a crash. Best to set them to pop-up with zero delay, then just wipe the mouse back and forth over a set of links until there's a crash. It can take from 30 seconds to 10 minutes, so that's a lot of tooltips...  

I spent much time and effort pinning down the problem, but I'm now quite certain about it, at least on my machine.  I've had no crash from this source now for three days whereas before it was around one per hour  of normal use.

I do run other resident programs along with TLB and AWM (Dialog Box Assistant, Power Drawers, Tordex Wheel, Skype, Logitech Videocam, Ultramon) but I removed them one by one (except for TLB and the Videocam software) until I could no longer induce a crash in the way I described.  Once I closed AWM the problem stopped.  

I've sent you by email the notes I made as I went along in case it helps.

Thanks for taking it seriously, and sorry to implicate AWM.  It's a great program and I use it all the time.    

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/20/2006 08:34:30

David, thanks for the detailed report. I've added this issue to the to-do list for a nearest AWM update so as soon as we find its cause I'll report here when it will be fixed.

Vikas Sethi

Posted: 01/12/2007 07:34:22

I too am facing issues with AWM. After reading this message I guess TLB is the cause. Everytime I shut my machine, I get the Explorer.exe error saying that the memory could not be written at so and so place. If I shut down AWM and then shut down my machine all works well. Any clue?

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/15/2007 06:33:10

Vikas, sorry for such troubles but there's not enough info in your report to make any conclusion. Did you make the exclusion for the CPPToolTip window class as described above in this topic? Did you try to close your running applications one-by-one before shutting Windows down to find the conflicting one?

Vikas Sethi

Posted: 01/15/2007 07:55:21

I am facing some strange issues. At times I get the error and at times I dont. I removed AWM from my system for a week and I got no errors at all, but when I installed it back then strange memory errors start propping up which have no serial or defined nature. Is there any way I can know the cause of error? Will sending screen shots help?

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/18/2007 06:30:51

When you get memory error write down the module name and its memory address and post this data here. Also please tell me what version of AWM do you run.

Vikas Sethi

Posted: 01/18/2007 06:37:21

I am running version 4.3.

BTW, the admin emails that I get from you shows link to this thread like this:
http://www.actualtools.com/ru/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=216&MID=1219#message1219
and this link is not able to open this thread.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/25/2007 06:33:55

OK, I'm waiting for the error data as described above.

The forum links generator will be fixed soon, thanks for the report.

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register