New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 29
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Small red button containing white X in upper-left corner » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 22222

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/23/2012 23:44:15

Several times a day, I notice a small red button containing a white X (like a title-bar close button, but about half the size) has appeared in the top-left corner of the primary monitor. This is always all the way at the top and all the way to the left in the corner of the display and is not part of any program window  . It remains visible on the desktop when all programs are minimized. Clicking it causes it to disappear, but there is no other apparent result. I know that AWM is creating the button, because closing AWM makes the button disappear. What is the purpose of this button, and why does it appear seemingly at random?

--
Mike

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/23/2012 23:57:25

Hello Mike.

This behaviour is quite strange. Could you trace what actions cause the appearance of the button and send us screenshot and step-by-step description of this situation?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/24/2012 00:20:04

Hello Bogdan,

I don't think I'll be able to provide any additional information, as I don't see the button appear. I just notice that it's there at some point. My primary monitor is 28 inches in size, and I'm usually not looking at that upper-left corner when I'm working in other apps. I keep my taskbar at the top of the screen, and it's set to autohide, so I usually notice the little close button when I'm about to use the Start menu, but at that point, I have no idea how long it's been there. I'll try to get a screenshot the next time the button shows up.

I can tell you that it appears when I've been working in other apps and haven't accessed the AWM Configure window for quite some time. It doesn't seem to be related to making any changes to any AWM settings.

I'm pretty sure this started happening after I installed version 7.0. I'm presently running 7.1 beta 1, but this did not start with this beta.

--
Mike

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/25/2012 20:58:57

Here's a screenshot of the button:

--
Mike

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/26/2012 20:05:40

Any ideas?

The button just appears when I'm working in other apps. There is no sequence of actions that I'm aware of that can cause the button to appear.

AWM works normally while the button is visible and after I've clicked it. The button doesn't seem to have any purpose.

The button is definitely being generated by AWM, so you should be able to find it somewhere in the code and see what it's supposed to be for.

--
Mike

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/26/2012 22:56:19

It seems to refer to preview windows.

Please send us the screenshot of your Multiple Monitors->Taskbar tab.

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/27/2012 01:03:03

Here's the screenshot.

I'd never noticed it, but even though the Enable preview thumbnails box is checked, previews are never displayed. However, hovering over a taskbar button does not trigger the close button to appear.

I could uncheck the preview option to see if that prevents the close button from appearing. I'd have to wait at least a full day to know for sure whether doing that would make any difference.

So now we have two problems, unless maybe they're connected. The close button and the previews not working.

--
Mike

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 04/30/2012 23:16:13

I've had Enable preview thumbnails turned off for a few days now and haven't seen the little close button since I turned it off.

Now that we know for sure what was causing the little close button, we are left with two questions:

1. Why don't the previews work when enabled?

2. What does the little close button mean?

--
Mike

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/02/2012 01:21:44

As you said, the button appears on the primary monitor. And as i can see on the above screenshot, the "replace the primary taskbar" option is unchecked, so your primary monitor displays the standart Windows taskbar. The "Enable preview thumbnails" option only refers to the taskbars, that are created by Actual Window Manager. To disable the standart Windows taskbar thumbnails you need to use the system configurations, it's not so easy as to check the checkbox. Do you have any ideas why your thumbnails doesn't work?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/02/2012 01:52:51

Another reason why the thumbnails doesn't work may be the theme that you use. The thumbnails won't work if the theme is different from the Windows Aero.

And please send us your configuration files using the "Send to tech support" tool.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 29
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register