New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «SQL Server Management Studio 2005 , Strange behaviour! » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12682

Mike Beale

Posted: 04/05/2012 05:29:40

Hi,

Sorry, long post, trying to think of everything that may be relevant.

Currently testing both Actual Multiple Monitors 4.0 & Actual Window Manager 7.0 and both showing the same problem with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2005, running on Windows 7 Profession x86

I first noticed that the default title buttons I had set were not showing up, but not such a problem so didn't think anything much of it.

Then I noticed none of the menus within SQL SMS will not work, all I get is the shadow of where the menu would be, see attached screen shot where I've clicked on the "Tools" menu.
As soon as I exit wither Multiple Monitors or Window Manager then the menus will show.

After further investigation this only happens when running SQL SMS using "Run as different user" and we have to do this as we have a different domain account that has access to the SQL servers, and running as our normal domain account has none.

Navigating the menus with the keyboard works, I can do Alt-T then O to get to options, but that's about the only one I know!

Specific settings under Window Settings do not happen when SQL SMS is run as different user either.
I created a simple one, just to change the window caption.
When I run SQL SMS normally it works, but as different user it does not.

Any ideas how I can get around this?
Thanks,
Mike

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/08/2012 22:16:45

Hello, Mike.

Any Actual Tools product and an application, which is affected by it, need to be run under the same user name to interact properly with each other.

Best regards.

Mike Beale

Posted: 04/10/2012 04:31:36

Hi,

Yes I can understand what you say, but Actual Window Manager is stopping SQL Server Management Studio from working properly when SQL SMS is run as a different use.

I have to completely exit AWM each time I use SQL SMS, even if I stop AWM from the Tools options, it still breaks SQL SMS.

Is there any way for AWM to completely ignore an application?

Cheers,
Mike

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/10/2012 07:13:08

Hello Mike,

I am not familiar with SQL Server Management Studio, but I have seen the issue you describe before. However, I am not sure whether my solution applies to you, as I only encountered similar issues with other programs after having made a specific settings for the affected program. It is my understanding from your post that the problem also occurs when you have not made any specific settings. Is that correct? What I did solving a similar issue was to play with the variables for the definition of the target window, i.e. Window class, Window caption and program. If not defined correctly, the specific setting may be applied to the main window, but is not to menus, and then you get the problem. There is no other way than trying various combinations of settings by trial and error, perhaps even only define 1 or 2 out of the 3 parameters.

With regard to your other question: under Window settings there is an option to add a program to the Exclusions list. I wonder whether that will work for you, as pausing AWM does not solve your problem, which I have never seen before.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Mike Beale

Posted: 04/10/2012 09:34:47

Hi Pim, thanks for you ideas.

Yes, if I make specific settings for SQL SMS then the problem still exists.
Actually the specific settings do not take affect if SQL SMS is run as the different user.

I just found the logging tools, if I run SQL SMS as myself, then the log gets lots of entries, if I run it as my other user then there are no entries, so it's like AWM cannot see it, but yet somehow is stopping the menus from appearing.

How did I miss the exclusions list???? Just didn't see it there!
Just added a new exclusion rule, with various settings for class, window caption and program, but again when run as a different user this has no affect.

Thanks,
Mike

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/10/2012 11:06:27

Hi Mike,

Then it must for certain be a user definition issue. When you use SQL SMS and you use a different user, is that different user also a separate Windows account on the same machine? If so, you may want to try to log on as that different user and then make an exclusion within AWM for that user for SQL SMS. AWM settings are defined on a per user basis. It may be far fetched, but it might work. If it does not work, you may also want to try as the next step to leave that different Windows account open and go back to your main account by using the "Other user" option of Windows (which can be found in the log off menu).

I absolutely have no idea whether this will or should work, but from a theoretical perspective it might.

I am curious...

Pim

Mike Beale

Posted: 04/11/2012 03:58:11

Hi again Pim,

I like your thinking, and gave your idea a try, but unfortunately it didn't work.

But again you got me thinking, and I've done some more investigation.
I used the Process Explorer and Process Monitor tools from Sysinternals to see if anything was going on.

Using Process Monitor I could see that SQL SMS when run as the other user was trying to access files in MY AppData folder (c:\users\myaccount\AppData) but of course access was denied.
I then gave my other user access to the AppData folder, and SQL SMS began to work properly.

Kind of strange why this behaviour only happened when AWM is running, but glad we got to the bottom of it.

Think I'm now ready to make the purchase :D

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/11/2012 09:09:00

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you finally succeeded :!:

I used the Process Explorer and Process Monitor tools from Sysinternals to see if anything was going on.
Clever thinking!

then gave my other user access to the AppData folder, and SQL SMS began to work properly.
Can you now also use AWM for SQL SMS?

Kind of strange why this behaviour only happened when AWM is running
I agree, but maybe SQL SMS tried to access AWM data in your AppData folder?

Think I'm now ready to make the purchase
I think you will not regret it. Every day since I started using it 1½ years ago I like AWM more and more. I still keep discovering new possibilities :)

Thanks for your help
You're welcome!

Pim

Mike Beale

Posted: 04/11/2012 10:22:00

Can you now also use AWM for SQL SMS?
Yes, AWM now happily works for SQL SMS, the title buttons now appear, and all other AWM options work.
And it also now appears in the AWM logging.

Nice one!

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/11/2012 22:19:01

Mike,

Could you please list which files SQL SMS is using in your AppData, when it's started under a different user?
If this only happens when AWM is running, I guess these files reside in AppData\Actual Tools folder.

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register