Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] Put into Divider tile , Keyboard shortcut problem » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5043

Gregory Shields

Posted: 03/30/2012 09:49:04

Hello.

I've set up a Divider layout and want to move a window into the various divider tiles by means of a shortcut key. I see when I hover over the "Put into Divider tile" icon that after I've clicked it, it will then read "(Win+Shift+Up)". However, this key combination does not work because Windows 7 already uses it to maximize a window vertically. I do not really want to disable the Windows 7 shortcut keys altogether because I especially like the one that allows me to move a window from one monitor to the next (Win+Shift+Right and Win+Shift+Left), unless there is an Actual Window Manager equivalent that I have missed. I don't really like the Actual Window Manager shortcut key that moves windows based upon monitor number because my monitor numbers are out of order, so I prefer the virtual shortcut I mentioned above which doesn't move windows based upon monitor number.

Thanks,
Gregory Shields

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 03/31/2012 10:27:27

Hello Gregory,

i do not use windows 7 so i can't comment on the conflicting hotkeys, but i can help you with this:
I do not really want to disable the Windows 7 shortcut keys altogether because I especially like the one that allows me to move a window from one monitor to the next (Win+Shift+Right and Win+Shift+Left), unless there is an Actual Window Manager equivalent that I have missed.
There is an AWM equivalent for this. You can find it in the Configuration under "Hotkeys" -> "Actions". The commands you need are called "Move to next monitor" and "Move to previous monitor".

Best regards.

Gregory Shields

Posted: 03/31/2012 11:57:05

Bertram, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

However, actually what you say is not correct and only muddies the water with regard to my issue. The commands you pointed out are the ones I was referring to which move windows based upon monitor number. As I said originally, I do not prefer those commands because my monitors are not numerically sequential for reasons which I won't burden you with. The Windows commands (Win+Shift+Right and Win+Shift+Left) are able to move my windows based upon how I have my desktop configured rather than based upon their hardware ID.

So the problem remains:
Could we get a keyboard option for "Put into Divider tile" which does not conflict with the Windows command which vertically maximizes a window? In other words, one which does not use Win+Shift in combination with Up, Down, Right, or Left.

Cheers,
Gregory Shields

Bertram Vogel
Advanced user

Posted: 03/31/2012 12:58:27

Sorry Gregory, I misread your text. But one last try from my side, after that i will stay quiet ;)
Could we get a keyboard option for "Put into Divider tile" which does not conflict with the Windows command which vertically maximizes a window? In other words, one which does not use Win+Shift in combination with Up, Down, Right, or Left.
You could just change the hotkeys for these commands. They are in the configuration under "Hotkeys" -> "Actions" and are called "Desktop Divider's down", "Desktop Divider's left" and so on. They are set to Win+Shift+ArrowKeys per default, but you can change them to whatever you want.

Best regards.

Gregory Shields

Posted: 03/31/2012 13:16:47

Bertram,

Thanks!

Gregory Shields  :o

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/06/2012 14:20:20

Hello Vasiliy,

I would like to reopen this thread. Because there apparently is a conflict between Windows 7 hotkeys and AWM's hotkeys, IMHO I think the conflicting standard AWM hotkeys should be changed. I think it is best not to use/introduce hotkeys that are already used by Windows. This is especially true because Windows 7 is about the biggest Windows version right now (and growing).

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/09/2012 00:02:40

Hello, Pim.

We'll consider this request.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list