Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[SOLVED] AMM: App pop-ups appear on wrong window » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8379

J W

Posted: 01/16/2012 20:18:43

I've recently started using AMM Pro 3.4.2 under Win7 Pro x64. Mostly it works well, but one annoying problem is that application pop-up dialogs often appear on the wrong monitor. Example: While running WordPad (XP version) on my secondary monitor, Ctrl+F brings up the Find dialog on my primary monitor.

The problem is worse with VirtualBox Manager (4.1.8) when it is running on my secondary monitor, since its main menus then appear on the primary menu. Worse, VB version update notices appear on the primary monitor as well, and become almost impossible to select with the mouse to dismiss -- moving the mouse to the primary monitor causes them to be hidden. (And no other VB windows can be accessed as long as the version pop-ups are open.) I have to use Ctrl+Tab to cycle through and select the VB version updates, and dismiss them that way just to get access to my VB VMs again.

Thanks!

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/16/2012 21:21:09

Hello J W,

Thanks for the post.

What versions of WordPad and VirtualBox Manager do you use?

Could you send me your configuration files (Actual Multiple Monitors -> Send your configuration files to the Actual Tools technical support)?

Best regards.

J W

Posted: 01/16/2012 22:25:25

WordPad is the XP version (5.1.2600.5584). VirtualBox is 4.1.8 (lost to a smiley in my original post).

I'm sure I've seen the same issue with other apps, but these are the two I notice most often.

Edit: I just saw the same behavior in Excel 2010: 1 Excel window open, on secondary monitor; Ctrl+F opens Find and Replace dialog on primary monitor.

I've emailed the log files from AMM.

Thanks.

J W

Posted: 01/18/2012 23:19:20

I noticed a similar but different problem today:

In Firefox 9.0.1, on my secondary monitor, I'm using a web-based app which has various drop-down selection lists. When I click on one of the drop-down lists, the menu appears on the primary monitor (!). Sometimes after 2 or 3 seconds it returns to the correct position on the secondary monitor, and sometimes not.

The same web app in IE 9 does not show this problem.

Not the end of the world, but definitely an annoyance...

Thanks.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 01/19/2012 01:13:41

Hello J W,

I've recieved your configuration files.

As you selected the "Move at startup to monitor" feature = "Primary" on the "Default settings" pane, you should create specific settings for all other windows that you don't want to open on your primary monitor.

I'd like to advise you to use "Move at startup to monitor" feature = "Having mouse pointer" on the "Default settings" pane to solve the problem.

Best regards.

J W

Posted: 01/20/2012 02:36:07

Thanks! Disabling entirely the "Move at startup to monitor" option seems to have solved the problem. If I run into related problems I'll try your "Having mouse pointer" suggestion.

I don't remember changing it this setting to "Primary", but perhaps I did so early on to ensure that all apps started on my primary monitor...

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register