Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Switching virtual desktops is slow , what about systray icons? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7470

YoG

Posted: 12/19/2011 18:41:21

Hi, i really like your program. However, i think the virtual Desktops are too slow to react switching between them. Especially when i use the keyboard shortcuts. I have a decent computer. It alsmost takes 3 seconds to switch..!
Some other program called Dexpot is (i know more dedicated for it but..) much faster.
It also has a neat feature: you can click numbered icons in the systray to directly switch to the specified desktop. I think that would be much nicer than the small Window in AWM. Its too big and is always overlapping parts of my screen that i need to use.

Thats all... The app is AWESOME !   8)

Terry

Posted: 12/20/2011 20:23:08

I am having the same problem (though switching speed does not seem to be different using the Desktop Switcher window vs. the hotkeys.

Actually, I am having completely unusual VD switching problems showing up for the first time today unrelated to just the slow switching. I'll open another thread.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/20/2011 21:53:03

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for the post.

What OS are you running (version, x32 or x64)?

What our software do you use (name, version)?

What steps should I do to reproduce the problem?

Best regards.

Terry

Posted: 12/20/2011 23:28:26

If you would like to split my problem into a different thread, please feel welcome to do so.

The current problem I have is that the "Virtual Desktop Switcher" window ONLY works when the "Clone the switcher to all monitors" is TRUE.

If I disable that flag, then I can still access the various desktops through their direct hotkeys or via the status bar right click "Virtual Desktops". However, the "hotkey" to activate the VDS window, does not work, and if I try using an "old" VDS from the "cloned" VDSs, selecting an alternate desktop just hangs the VDS ... it does not change the desktop.

• I am running AWM V6.7.2 (but have similar problems when briefly testing with V6.8b1).
  • I am running Windows 7 64-bit.
  • I have 4 monitors and 4 Virtual Desktops.

I believe that my current problem (i.e., no functioning VDS window when VDS not cloned...) may have started when I physically swapped two of my 4 monitors from between 2 DVI ports on the same video card. The intention was to make my Windows Primary Monitor the same as the default boot monitor.

If I were to "guess" at the problem... perhaps the non-cloned VDS is appearing upon the hotkey press, but it is appearing "off screen" (outside the visable addressable space)?

Thanks,
...Terry.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/21/2011 01:24:43

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for the post.

However, i think the virtual Desktops are too slow to react switching between them. Especially when i use the keyboard shortcuts. I have a decent computer. It alsmost takes 3 seconds to switch..!
- YoG, could you describe what's happening these 3 seconds with your system? Could you also send a video of the problem to support@actualtools.com ?

The current problem I have is that the "Virtual Desktop Switcher" window ONLY works when the "Clone the switcher to all monitors" is TRUE.

If I disable that flag, then I can still access the various desktops through their direct hotkeys or via the status bar right click "Virtual Desktops". However, the "hotkey" to activate the VDS window, does not work, and if I try using an "old" VDS from the "cloned" VDSs, selecting an alternate desktop just hangs the VDS ... it does not change the desktop.

I am running AWM V6.7.2 (but have similar problems when briefly testing with V6.8b1).
I am running Windows 7 64-bit.
I have 4 monitors and 4 Virtual Desktops.

I believe that my current problem (i.e., no functioning VDS window when VDS not cloned...) may have started when I physically swapped two of my 4 monitors from between 2 DVI ports on the same video card. The intention was to make my Windows Primary Monitor the same as the default boot monitor.

If I were to "guess" at the problem... perhaps the non-cloned VDS is appearing upon the hotkey press, but it is appearing "off screen" (outside the visable addressable space)?
- Terry, we'll investigate the problem.

Best regards.

Terry

Posted: 12/21/2011 01:54:12

- Terry, we'll investigate the problem.
Best regards.

The latest additional related symptom I have:  The VDS (in cloned to all monitors mode), is now also showing stale icons (i.e., mini task icons for Windows that have been closed).

YoG

Posted: 12/22/2011 04:57:10

- YoG, could you describe what's happening these 3 seconds with your system? Could you also send a video of the problem to support@actualtools.com ?
Sorry, im not able to make record videos at the moment.

Strange thing is, switching desktops is a bit smoother at the moment, even though i have plenty of apps running in the background. It now takes around half a second to switch. I think thats acceptable. But it would be nice if it was going faster.

Im running Win7 ultimate x64, 8 gb ram, Intel Core Duo E8400, 3 virtual desktops, 2 monitors and AWM 6.7.2.

When AWM is slow switching desktops, my system is not lagging.. its just AWM that is processing the request.
My mouse is still responsive and i hear no stutter in music playback. Capslock led is not delaying either

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 12/27/2011 00:49:11

Hello Yog,

Could you try to trace what running applications cause the increase (mentioned 3 seconds) of virtual desktops switching time?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register