Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Virtual Desktop Switcher keeps disappearing , I often switch between monitor setups » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3924

Steven Matuszek

Posted: 11/25/2011 21:48:57

I am having a huge problem with Actual Window Manager 6.7.2 (and multiple versions before that) on Windows 7.

Specifically, I often switch between different monitor setups as I have a laptop that I dock in multiple locations. In my office, I leave the laptop closed and use two monitors are side-by-side. At home, I leave the laptop open and the other monitor is above it. I generally Sleep the laptop rather than shutting it down.

This results in plenty of applications not knowing which window they're supposed to be on -- I will click on a window in the taskbar and I can watch the animation of it jumping upwards to an x,y location that is no longer on any monitor. Worst case, I can usually use Multiple Monitors to move the window to Monitor 1, or to Maximize it.

However, the Virtual Desktops Switcher itself does not show up in my taskbar, so if I leave it in the wrong monitor, I'm screwed.

My first workaround was to change the cell size in the config. Change the size, hit save, and poof, the switcher appears again. That no longer works.

Eventually I realized that I could use the hotkey for Toggle Virtual Desktop Switcher. Turn it off, turn it back on, the switcher appears again. That no longer works.

Another thing I've used in an emergency is to turn on "Clone the switcher to all monitors." This is a last resort because if I turn it back off, the switcher disappears again, so I'm stuck with both switchers. If I close one of them with the X, the other tricks stop working. I think that's where I am right now.

I may have too much other stuff running for you to be able to track this down, though I'm willing to try it.

What I really want to know is: Where is the location of this window stored? I'd be happy just to be able to go into a registry or a .ini file manually and just delete it so that the switcher would just show up in its normal place. Or any other trick!

Of course, it would also be nice to have a button that just put the switcher front and center.

Thanks!

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/27/2011 23:35:06

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the post.

This results in plenty of applications not knowing which window they're supposed to be on -- I will click on a window in the taskbar and I can watch the animation of it jumping upwards to an x,y location that is no longer on any monitor. Worst case, I can usually use Multiple Monitors to move the window to Monitor 1, or to Maximize it.
- Could you clarify this problem? What steps should I do to reproduce the problem?

The problem regarding Virtual Desktop Switcher has been confirmed.
We'll try to fix it as soon as possible.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register